Thread: Questions on reloading british 38/200

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Questions on reloading british 38/200

Is there any brass i can use as a substitute aside from 38 S&W? Does anyone know what powder would closely match the original and what bullets? I know the bullet weight would be 200 grains. I read somewhere that they were plain lead but all i have seen in surplus or pictures are jacketed bullets. I am new to reloading handgun ammunition but not new to shotgun and rifle reloading.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

first thing, what are you shooting it in?
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

There was a reloading/information book out sometime back that might offer you some help. I think it was called, Cartridges of the World or Reloading Cartridges of the World, or something like that. It showed all the cartridges that have ever been made and how to make older cartridges from new brass (which cases can be cut, stretched, fire-formed, or whatever) to create the older, obsolete cases.

If you could get a copy of that book (I think it's still being published) that would be a big help.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

That's a British cartridge. But it's just a special loading of the 38 S&W. They called it the "man stopper" load IIRC. They also used that term for heavy for caliber 45 caliber loadings.

The 38 S&W case is not a shortened 38 Special. It's dimensions are a bit larger in diameter like the bullets it specifies which are .360"

Pure lead is correct but a soft mix of 1:30 or 1:20 (tin/lead) is ok.

As to finding the proper bullets... that's going to prove difficult. You'll have to cast you own. I'm not sure if any major company makes .360" bullet molds but they might.

If you're just looking for good target loads, then you can use hollow based wad cutters of .358" and they will work just fine. The thin "skirt" of the base of these bullets expand very easily to fill the bore and give good accuracy. They are going to weigh 148 grains. Hornady and Speer both make these bullets.

I like http://www.grafs.com - prices shown are with shipping and they tend to carry stuff like this. They have the HBWC Hornady bullets in stock: http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...productId/6005 For the brass, check out https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-...8-SandW-Brass/.

Grafs has Hornady dies on sale: http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/28408 They list these as 357 Mag/38 Special/38 Long Colt/38 S&W... so I guess that's what you use - especially if your loading the .358" bullets. But I do know that the 38 S&W was slightly different (larger) in diameter...

For a propellant, you'll want a fast burning powder like Bullseye or W231. 3 Grains of either of these under the 148 HBWC bullets will give good results and around 800 fps.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

get a lyman book.

I reload 38S&W, and the first thing you want to do is slug your bore . anything in this caliber is all over the place.

for a 200gr, you'll probably want to look at casting or find a place that makes that cast bullet.

You want to shoot 38s&w really cheap?? get some cheapo 00 buck 12ga. ammo and gut it. summertime i get royal or some other cat piss smelling brand for about $2.25 a box of 5 and remove the buckshot. I reuse the 12ga rounds for wax slugs or "other" things.

the 00 buck with a FFFG load is cheap and easy on your gun.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    first thing, what are you shooting it in?
    Enfield No2 and a S&W victory.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Cartridges of the World or Reloading Cartridges of the World, .
    Searching as we speak for the E version

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    That's a British cartridge. But it's just a special loading of the 38 S&W. They called it the "man stopper" load IIRC. They also used that term for heavy for caliber 45 caliber loadings.

The 38 S&W case is not a shortened 38 Special. It's dimensions are a bit larger in diameter like the bullets it specifies which are .360"

Pure lead is correct but a soft mix of 1:30 or 1:20 (tin/lead) is ok.

As to finding the proper bullets... that's going to prove difficult. You'll have to cast you own. I'm not sure if any major company makes .360" bullet molds but they might.

If you're just looking for good target loads, then you can use hollow based wad cutters of .358" and they will work just fine. The thin "skirt" of the base of these bullets expand very easily to fill the bore and give good accuracy. They are going to weigh 148 grains. Hornady and Speer both make these bullets.

I like http://www.grafs.com - prices shown are with shipping and they tend to carry stuff like this. They have the HBWC Hornady bullets in stock: http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...productId/6005 For the brass, check out https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-...8-SandW-Brass/.

Grafs has Hornady dies on sale: http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/28408 They list these as 357 Mag/38 Special/38 Long Colt/38 S&W... so I guess that's what you use - especially if your loading the .358" bullets. But I do know that the 38 S&W was slightly different (larger) in diameter...

For a propellant, you'll want a fast burning powder like Bullseye or W231. 3 Grains of either of these under the 148 HBWC bullets will give good results and around 800 fps.

This is good information. Thank you The hollow base bullets are actually going to probably be the thing i go for. I think i may have found a source for the bullets now. My biggest issue now is the brass. But since i have been asking around today i have sourced NEW brass. Almost a buck each but if i am careful i should get quite a few reloads from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    get a lyman book.

I reload 38S&W, and the first thing you want to do is slug your bore . anything in this caliber is all over the place.

for a 200gr, you'll probably want to look at casting or find a place that makes that cast bullet.

You want to shoot 38s&w really cheap?? get some cheapo 00 buck 12ga. ammo and gut it. summertime i get royal or some other cat piss smelling brand for about $2.25 a box of 5 and remove the buckshot. I reuse the 12ga rounds for wax slugs or "other" things.

the 00 buck with a FFFG load is cheap and easy on your gun.

This is got me really stirring. I want to try this. I may PM you later. I shoot wax balls from my Pietta 1858 Remington. They make little nipple shaped piles on the cement wall in my basement.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38