Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Extra Ammo?

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

How Much Extra Ammo?

How much extra ammo do you carry when carrying concealed? I haven't been carrying an extra magazine and was wondering what everyone else does.

If you do carry extra magazines, what do you use to carry it/them?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

two or three hundred rounds of 45ACP in my pants pockets. cus you never know...
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

depends where im at.

usually one extra mag or for the wheelgun one bianchi strip .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

I carry a Glock 19 - 16 rounds in the pistol and 98% of the time I have a spare 17-rounder on my hip in a leather knife/multi-tool pouch.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

If i were allowed to do this... I would carry my glock 17 with one extra mag. I should have made my previous post in purple.

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    If i were allowed to do this... I would carry my glock 17 with one extra mag. I should have made my previous post in purple.
    No need, I am still chuckling!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I carry a Bond Arms .45/.410. 4 extra shells and 2-.45LC cartridges in pockets.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

One mag in a strap on mag pouch.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

When I carried a 1911 I had 2 spare mags. For the Glock 19, 1 spare mag. I figure with 30 rounds I should be able to get the job done.

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

b The SIG has a 12 rd mag + chamber....way I figure...if I need more than 13 I'm not having a good day! Don't carry for a prolonged standoff.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Morris View Post
    b The SIG has a 12 rd mag + chamber....way I figure...if I need more than 13 I'm not having a good day! Don't carry for a prolonged standoff.
    Dan
    My G19, which I carry most often, will have a 15 round magazine and that is the way I was leaning, more than that and I am in a lot of trouble. But then I think about where I live and some of the recent attacks and I wonder if 15 rounds is wise. It is a hard decision and it seems that most people are carrying enough to reload at least once (the exception is RCI with a couple hundred rounds of 45 ACP in a wagon behind him!) so I need to think about this a little more. I did like Scorpion's idea of using a multi-tool pouch to carry a magazine. No one would even bat an eye at seeing a multi-tool pouch on my belt.

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Morris View Post
    Dan
    I carry a spare mag more for the "2 is 1 and 1 is none" factor. One time I was open-carrying when I got home and disarmed only to notice the magazine was missing from my pistol. I found the magazine on the floor of my vehicle - I must have somehow bumped the magazine catch while seated in my vehicle. This incident is the main reason I carry a spare mag. If I would have needed to use my pistol, I would have only had one round.

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    My G19, which I carry most often, will have a 15 round magazine and that is the way I was leaning, more than that and I am in a lot of trouble. But then I think about where I live and some of the recent attacks and I wonder if 15 rounds is wise. It is a hard decision and it seems that most people are carrying enough to reload at least once (the exception is RCI with a couple hundred rounds of 45 ACP in a wagon behind him!) so I need to think about this a little more. I did like Scorpion's idea of using a multi-tool pouch to carry a magazine. No one would even bat an eye at seeing a multi-tool pouch on my belt.
    Here is the pouch I use. It is leather and it holds a Glock 17 magazine like it was made for it. In fact, over the years the pouch has "molded" to the shape of the magazine so it's an even better fit than ever. I picked it up at a gun show for a couple bucks - a fellow had a bunch of used empty knife pouches for sale.

It doesn't conceal very well so I leave it exposed on my belt. Everybody thinks there's a multi-tool in it.

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    Here is the pouch I use. It is leather and it holds a Glock 17 magazine like it was made for it. In fact, over the years the pouch has "molded" to the shape of the magazine so it's an even better fit than ever. I picked it up at a gun show for a couple bucks - a fellow had a bunch of used empty knife pouches for sale.

It doesn't conceal very well so I leave it exposed on my belt. Everybody thinks there's a multi-tool in it.

Looks like the case from a Buck knife

thats a good idea.. i hate carrying these kahr mags in my pocket.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post

If you turn it over does it have 110 stamped on the back? It looks like a Buck 110 sheath however a 110 is just under 5" closed. Seems like a G17 mag might not be too long but's got to be much thicker than a Buck 110. I'll try it at lunch and see is one will fit?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    If you turn it over does it have 110 stamped on the back? It looks like a Buck 110 sheath however a 110 is just under 5" closed. Seems like a G17 mag might not be too long but's got to be much thicker than a Buck 110. I'll try it at lunch and see is one will fit?
    There are no markings anywhere on it, but it is well-made with thick leather. As you said, it looks very similar to a Buck 110 case but the only difference is that it doesn't have the pointy tapered flap exhibited by the Buck case.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I tried a G17 mag in a Buck 110 sheath I've had and carried since around 1980 and the mag would only go into the sheath about a half inch. I'm guessing the mag in the photo is a close copy of a Buck sheath but for a larger knife. It's not a bad idea though. I'll need to check some of my older sheaths for other makes for one that might work.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

size makes it look like a 3" henry or shrade folder.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Well, I'm either carrying a G23 with 13 rounds or a S&W Bodyguard with 7 rounds. In either case, that's all I have on my bod. Might have a loaded mag in the car...

That's not counting my get-home bag. That's another story lol.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast