Thread: Just installed Ubuntu on my laptop wow!

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Just installed Ubuntu on my laptop wow!

I had a lenovo laptop here with a fubar install of windows 7 which i tried to upgrade to 8 and it frigged it up even more. So today i decided to wipe the hard drive and start with a fresh install of whatever the coolest flavour of linux was according to some peoples opinion. So i chose this. What a difference. Everything is quick and the layout makes sence. I sure hope it stays like this.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Ubuntu is good. Keep us informed.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Pretty much convinced that when microscrew forces the "upgrade" to Windows 10 I will switch to Linux. Thanks for the report on Ubuntu!

I've used these and like them well enough;
    https://www.gentoo.org/
    https://www.freebsd.org/
    https://www.nsa.gov/research/selinux/
    https://wiki.debian.org/SELinux

Gentoo was a performance leader back in the day, I think ubuntu is a fork of gentoo.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

I'm a gamer, i'll stick with XP or 7

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    I had a lenovo laptop here with a fubar install of windows 7 which i tried to upgrade to 8 and it frigged it up even more. So today i decided to wipe the hard drive and start with a fresh install of whatever the coolest flavour of linux was according to some peoples opinion. So i chose this. What a difference. Everything is quick and the layout makes sence. I sure hope it stays like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Ubuntu is good. Keep us informed.

I've been running Linux for years. I started with Ubuntu, then switched to Xubuntu when Ubuntu changed to that stupid "Unity" desktop, then switched to Kubuntu (which I use now).

They are all the same thing, just different style desktops.

On the rare occasion that I have to soil myself with Windows (like fixing someone else's computer), I usually say (many, many times) "Fucking Microcoft shit!" or "God I Hate Windows" or other similar things.

It's SO HARD to do anything in Windows... so many people use it and they have no clue how clumsy, slow and backwards it is.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    I'm a gamer, i'll stick with XP or 7

Any game could run on Linux. The problem is that most PC games use Microshaft's "Direct-X" video interface instead of OpenGL.

There are quite a few games out there that use OpenGL for the video interface. These run equally well on Linux or Windows.

Another thing that most people don't know... most PC programs (including games) are single threaded. That means even if you have a quad core or more processor, the program only uses one core. But in Linux, everything uses all the cores.

Allocation of CPU resources is handled by Linux, not by the individual program.

Unfortunately, until the people who write PC games switch their code to use a standard graphics interface, people will be stuck running Windows for a gaming machine. Such a waste. Fortunately for me, I'm not a gamer.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Any game could run on Linux. The problem is that most PC games use Microshaft's "Direct-X" video interface instead of OpenGL.

There are quite a few games out there that use OpenGL for the video interface. These run equally well on Linux or Windows.

Another thing that most people don't know... most PC programs (including games) are single threaded. That means even if you have a quad core or more processor, the program only uses one core. But in Linux, everything uses all the cores.

Allocation of CPU resources is handled by Linux, not by the individual program.

Unfortunately, until the people who write PC games switch their code to use a standard graphics interface, people will be stuck running Windows for a gaming machine. Such a waste. Fortunately for me, I'm not a gamer.
    I wasn't aware linux runs opengl, I have a few older games that use opengl, but you're right, most of the ones I have are directx only. I might have to build another puter and see how I like Linux though, never did try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    It's SO HARD to do anything in Windows... so many people use it and they have no clue how clumsy, slow and backwards it is.
    I been using MAC for years and i always felt the same way. I had the windows computer because i got it really cheap and i wanted it incase i needed to do something with windows as mac still had its lack of third party support problems back then where microshit had the corner on just about the entire hardware market.

Also i remember reading in the paper a few weeks back that microsoft was losing a ton of money because people aren't buying windows anymore. Good on them. I hope they tank.

That is why they are giving 10 away.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    That is why they are giving 10 away.
    Perhaps forcing it on some is more to the point.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"