Thread: Obama issues EO for the Military to start looking into and using 'smart guns'

Obama issues EO for the Military to start looking into and using 'smart guns'

aka guns with ridiculous overengineered 'safety devices' that keep others from using your gun 'against you'. How fucking stupid is that?

Oh My God, this guy is a first class IDIOT. Safer guns? Guns that won't fire, if you're injured and your squad mate has to grab your rifle and continue the fight against a hostile enemy? The armory is gonna have a brain hemorrhage if they can't just ISSUE guns out to soldiers in the fastest most efficient manner with this 'new' tech hampering them.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...=all#pagebreak

But in President Obama’s first foray into small-arms procurement for the armed forces, his Jan. 4 executive order on gun control directs the Pentagon to find ways to make not so much more lethal firearms, but safer ones.

His direct order has brought a few snickers among retired combatants who argue that the commander in chief is issuing his directive at a time of more pressing small-arms priorities. The military, critics say, fields a flawed personal rifle and has spent more than a decade selecting a new off-the-shelf pistol, with no winner yet.
    With that White House history, Mr. Scales said, “I had to laugh” at Mr. Obama’s priority — smart guns.

“Presidential involvement in small arms has been strategic and game-changing in our history,” said Mr. Scales, a former commandant of the U.S. Army War College. “Obama comes along and tells the Army that, in this administration, money is going into small arms to build — not a deadly weapon, not an effective weapon, not a dominant weapon, not a lifesaving weapon, not a technological cutting-edge weapon — but a weapon that prevents accidental discharge. Give me a break.”

I disagree with the assessment that he is in fact an idiot and has no clue.
    He's actually pretty sly and knows exactly what he's doing.
    If you consider him to be a marxist muslim trying to do all he can to take America down - and you know in your heart that is what he's doing, he is pretty good at that.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Guaranteed these Obama rifles are going to cause massive problems and as a result friendly casualties. The ragheads that get them will just remove the tech. I am starting to think Russia has infiltrated into the government and media and are destroying the west from within. Importing Syrians, gun control, Obama care, exporting production of goods to china so Americans and Canadians lose jobs.
    Last edited by rci2950; 02-01-2016 at 03:33 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Don't worry, it will take 10 years and 50 billion dollars for them to develop a prototype, and before that ever happens it will get thrown in the trash for being obsolete, just like all the other equipment we ask for and then ends up in development ground hog day.

It goes like this, we need a new mk16, the mod 1 is actually killing people, 8 years later the mod 2 is finished but the Tech in it is 8 years old so they request one with modern tech, 5 years later the mod 3 is done, but now because of budget constraints and the mod 1's being so old, we will field bids for a whole new system, 2 years later the multiple bid prototypes start their 2 year eval process, at the end of which they are all still too expensive, so they go back to update the mod 1, and it starts all over again.

17 years later the mk16 mod 1 is still being used and still killing people.
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Quote Originally Posted by Hatedbysheeple View Post
    Don't worry, it will take 10 years and 50 billion dollars for them to develop a prototype, and before that ever happens it will get thrown in the trash for being obsolete, just like all the other equipment we ask for and then ends up in development ground hog day.

It goes like this, we need a new mk16, the mod 1 is actually killing people, 8 years later the mod 2 is finished but the Tech in it is 8 years old so they request one with modern tech, 5 years later the mod 3 is done, but now because of budget constraints and the mod 1's being so old, we will field bids for a whole new system, 2 years later the multiple bid prototypes start their 2 year eval process, at the end of which they are all still too expensive, so they go back to update the mod 1, and it starts all over again.

17 years later the mk16 mod 1 is still being used and still killing people.
    I'm not sure what you mean. killing people as in killing the bad guys (aka good) versus killing our own operators (aka catastrophic malfunctions aka bad)?????

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. killing people as in killing the bad guys (aka good) versus killing our own operators (aka catastrophic malfunctions aka bad)?????
    Killing our own guys, it has been 3 years since the last death, but we have monthly near misses, and that is with 2 divers with a witness float in a training environment.

And all those near misses, every single one of them, which involve experienced navy divers, are always labeled the divers fault.

Killing our own guys, it has been 3 years since the last death, but we have monthly near misses, and that is with 2 divers with a witness float in a training environment.

And all those near misses, every single one of them, which involve experienced navy divers, are always labeled the divers fault.
    You're talking about the BREATHING APPARATUS?? and not the gun?? I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    You're talking about the BREATHING APPARATUS?? and not the gun?? I'm confused.
    Yeah the rebreather

Yeah the rebreather
    LOL. okay. But we were originally talking about guns. AND .... the MK16 Mod 0 (close sounding name) is a rifle (aka the FN SCAR) so I was visualizing all these slamfires from the SCAR and going "WTH?"

I was just using it as a real world example of how this stuff actually happens, the f-22 was in development for over 20 years, nothing moves fast.