Thread: Old Wives Tale?

Old Wives Tale?

I was told as a child that Squirrels remembered where they bury the nuts and acorns.
    While I was growing older I was told that is just and old wives tail boy and I let it go
    just thinking they were planting trees. Because that is what happens when you put an
    acorn in the ground and believe me I have pull up many trees that had an acorn attached.

Anyway today I am sitting outside(light rain and 59*) and there are 3 fuzzy wonders
    running around outback digging here and there. I was just watching and I noticed 1
    go to a spot and dig. Well low and behold he(sexist I know) came up with an acorn.
    I didn't think to much about it until I started watching them all and damn if they were not
    going to different places all over the yard and digging up acorns. This went on for 15 minutes
    or so until something spooked them. We have quite a few Redtail Hawks around here
    and I am 89% sure I saw a Falcon last Monday.

But I guess the little buggers do know where they hide the acorns. Nature moment over.

Misspelled tail.
    Last edited by l921428x; 02-03-2016 at 06:07 PM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I have about 15 squirrels that visit my yard every day when I set out seeds and nuts for them. I see them bury and retrieve nuts all the time.

Not sure how they do it, but I think it has something to do with the scent of their saliva. They will only dig up the nuts they bury, not another squirrel's, as far as I can tell.

Interesting little creatures...a lot more fun than watching birds.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

It is strange that I kinda pride myself in the fact I watch the small things animals and insects do
    and have never seen this. Either I wasn't seeing because I wasn't looking or I wasn't looking because
    I believed the tale and didn't pay attention or notice what was going on in front of me.

I think I should start paying attention.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..