Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $5M class action suit filed against Century Arms

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    In one of his several AK Videos from Paladin Press, I recall Gabe Suarez was talking about how the AK Rifle could be fired with the Upper Receiver Cover removed, and He showed on the Video, how it could happen. like the Photo in the first Thread on some AK's but not all of them. Paul

ANY AK can be fired with the dust cover off. Granted it's not a good idea, but the dust cover does NOTHING other than keep dust out (and prevent the safety lever from rotating up too far - which isn't a problem when firing since when firing the lever is in the full DOWN position and locked in place by the detent).
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    My DDI has the F/A safety on it. But because I'm not a complete retard I don't rotate my safety lever up past the dust cover, and check my chamber before doing a disassembly. Non issue.

What's a "full auto" safety? Do you mean a safety lever without the disconnector hold-down tail ground off?

At any rate, even if your safety HAS the hold-down tail AND the disconnector has it's tail, the rifle still will not fire full auto... you need the "safety sear" (that's what Kalashnikov calls it) in the front (the piece that goes on the "evil third pin" and the trip-lug on the bolt carrier (which on most rifles is ground off).

Oh shit... is this "conspiracy"? Talking about the mechanics of a F/A action?

Well, if it is, here's what I have to say to BATFE:

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

I did not intend to say my rifle is full auto, only that my safety selector has not had the tail ground off, correct. also has the sear trip on the BCG. However, I have no plans to cut a slot into the BC guide rail, or drill the required hole for third axis pin and fun parts.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

I did not intend to say my rifle is full auto, only that my safety selector has not had the tail ground off, correct. also has the sear trip on the BCG. However, I have no plans to cut a slot into the BC guide rail, or drill the required hole for third axis pin and fun parts.

I never thought that your rifle was full auto. Even if it were, all I would say is "that's fine - what part of "shall not be infringed" do they fail to understand?".

As far as the third hole, you need a carbide drill (or better, a slightly undersize drill and a correct size carbide reamer). That receiver steel is HARD!

(now before anyone thinks that *I* did the dirty deed... I know how hard the receiver steel is because I drilled 2 holes in the side of a Norinco to install a scope side mount. Yeah, I know, but the guy insisted...)

7mm and either a 6 or 5mm drill bit sizes if I remember correctly...
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

7mm and either a 6 or 5mm drill bit sizes if I remember correctly...

6mm for the left side, 5mm for the right.

And, since the correct size is very important (to prevent wobble), the holes should be drilled undersize, then reamed with a carbide reamer.

Note that 6mm is also the correct size to ream the trigger and disconnector if you want to use one of those anti-pin-rotation sleeves (the little tube near the center of the image):

I have these in all my Kalashnikov rifles. Keeping the spring tension off the axis pin itself prevents the pin from rotating and makes the trigger pull MUCH smoother and a little lighter.

(My trigger groups are the ones that Red Star Arms sells... and the steel is VERY hard... necessitating the use of a carbide drill and reamer... even a titanium nitride drill gets chewed up trying to enlarge one hole).

On another note... interestingly my 2001 SAR1 was built with a "genuine" Romanian semi-auto receiver. Supposedly the Romanian military issues semi-auto AK rifles to new soldiers and full auto afterwards, and my receiver has a "Y" shaped indentation where the "evil third pin" goes, but there's no hole there... only the indent.

(click pics for hi-res)

OH NO!!!!!! MY SAFETY LEVER GOES UP!!! MAYBE I SHOULD JOIN THE LAWSUIT???

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    Well I have some real DOGSHIT that I bought from Century. Some MISR rifles, Some FALS that are unshootable, some HK91 clones that are not safe to fire, ugh. You never know.....

I must have lucked out. My 2001 SAR1 (A Century rifle) has a straight front sight post, beautiful matching wood and it has always worked flawlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    Holy crap! I have 2 pistols that don't even have a safety lever....should i sue Glock ?

My little AMT-45 doesn't have a safety either. It's DAO, and has a 12 ton trigger pull.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

My Mosin Nagants have no safety and neither does the TT-33.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    My Mosin Nagants have no safety and neither does the TT-33.
    whats wrong with the safety on your nagants? or is it just that you dont know how to use them??

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    6mm for the left side, 5mm for the right.

And, since the correct size is very important (to prevent wobble), the holes should be drilled undersize, then reamed with a carbide reamer.

Note that 6mm is also the correct size to ream the trigger and disconnector if you want to use one of those anti-pin-rotation sleeves (the little tube near the center of the image):

I have these in all my Kalashnikov rifles. Keeping the spring tension off the axis pin itself prevents the pin from rotating and makes the trigger pull MUCH smoother and a little lighter.

(My trigger groups are the ones that Red Star Arms sells... and the steel is VERY hard... necessitating the use of a carbide drill and reamer... even a titanium nitride drill gets chewed up trying to enlarge one hole).

On another note... interestingly my 2001 SAR1 was built with a "genuine" Romanian semi-auto receiver. Supposedly the Romanian military issues semi-auto AK rifles to new soldiers and full auto afterwards, and my receiver has a "Y" shaped indentation where the "evil third pin" goes, but there's no hole there... only the indent.

(click pics for hi-res)

OH NO!!!!!! MY SAFETY LEVER GOES UP!!! MAYBE I SHOULD JOIN THE LAWSUIT???
    My WASR & M90 PAP have the same indentations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12