Thread: 306 Confederate Sabre, what the 303 should have been in the first place

306 Confederate Sabre, what the 303 should have been in the first place

Distinguished Rifleman Smallbore Prone and Highpower Rifle, Presidents 100 (Rifle), Member US Palma Teams and US Dewar Teams. US Army Test and Evaluation Command - Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director - Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD, NRA Member since age 12, NRA Benefactor, Charter Member International Wound Ballilstics Assn, Life Member Gun Owners of SC, Life Member Palmetto State Marksmen's Assn, Eagle Scout, Bhd OTA, Shriner, FF1, AC4HT,

OK I'll bite. What advantages does this offer over the 303 British?

Me too.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

OK I designed the 306 mainly to get longer case life from the 303 Cartridge. Note the neck and shoulder of the round on the top are the same as the 30.06. The case body is the same as the 303 but made to a give a much tighter chamber which gives a longer case life. The 306 also holds about six more grains of propellant than the 303.
    The cases are fireformed so only expand one time and at that point headspaces on the shoulder negating the need for big set back of the shoulder.

Now most wildcat cartridges call for very expensive custom dies which run 150.00 or more. The 306 is loaded using standard 30.06 dies that are modified by simply chucking the dies up in a lathe and trimmed off about .125" from the base making them shorter.

Should someone want to build rifles in this caliber the custom reamer is called the 306 Confederate Sabre and Manson Precision Reamers has the drawing.

Now the name, 30 in the number is the first two numbers of 303, the 30.06 last two numbers are 06 thus I named it 306 Confederate Sabre. This round could be fabricated into a Ruger No 1 action with the rimmed extractor. Ruger made them for export to Canada many years ago. Other receivers designed for rimmed cartridges could also be utilized.

The savings in replacing short life 303 brass is offset down the road by getting far more reloads due to less brass movement.
    Last edited by Hummer; 02-05-2016 at 08:16 PM.
    Distinguished Rifleman Smallbore Prone and Highpower Rifle, Presidents 100 (Rifle), Member US Palma Teams and US Dewar Teams. US Army Test and Evaluation Command - Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director - Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD, NRA Member since age 12, NRA Benefactor, Charter Member International Wound Ballilstics Assn, Life Member Gun Owners of SC, Life Member Palmetto State Marksmen's Assn, Eagle Scout, Bhd OTA, Shriner, FF1, AC4HT,