Thread: Got an idea for some cool end tables

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Got an idea for some cool end tables

I found a local guy with two 1930's safes for $350, they are in good mechanical condition but need new paint, one the combo is unknown but locked open, the other has the locking mechanism disassembled but the parts are there, also open. They are 26"x20"x20", with the caster wheels on they are 31" high. Interior they are 18"x12"x13". I want to buy these, refinish the exteriors, get the locks working, maybe try my hand at some gold leaf, and use these as end tables in my living room. The guy says the safes are 400-500 lbs a piece, I would make some hardwood footings for them so the casters are hidden and so they don't mess up my hardwood floors. I think I might see how much it would cost for professional movers to get them for me, I know I can get a uhaul trailer and furniture dolly for about $25, but I would spend $100 for someone else to move them.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Hatedbysheeple; 02-07-2016 at 04:32 PM.
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Do your floors have issue with 1k pounds so close together?
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Do your floors have issue with 1k pounds so close together?
    Ground floor on a raised slab, and against an exterior wall. I ran the weights by my architect uncle and he said it would be fine as long as I used those hard wood footings to spread the weight from the casters

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

I would be worried that it would sag the floor over time. Or even worse, all of it end up in the basement some night.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Jeez I guess I type too slow. Sounds like it would be a cool idea. Could keep your hand guns in there
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

My handgun safe is a little larger, weighs about 650 lbs. It became an unintended end table in the living room cause we couldn't get it maneuvered through the house to my gun room. My wife made a nice cover for it and no one suspects what it really is.

We used a low trailer and 5 3'' steel pipes and got it rolled into the house pyramid style (no casters to roll around on), built a ramp out of 3/4" plywood and 2x4s to get it over the threshold at the front door. Took 4 of us, lots of muscle, lever action and a few near misses on the toe bones. If you do it my way definitely wear steel toe boots

got mine from a jewelry store bankruptcy/auction, it was built in the 60's and is good old american heavy metal
    Last edited by davepool; 02-07-2016 at 08:59 PM.

The only real issue I am having now is do I hire professional movers to move them from a storage unit to my garage. Or spend $30 and rent a u-haul trailer, tip them into the trailer, then tip them back out into my garage. At this point i don't care about the paint, but I don't want to damage the safe or mechanisms.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Sound interesting. Don't forget your weight limit when having the military move you. These would take a lot of weight. The military would still move them but you would have to make up the difference between your max weight and any you went over.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Rent an appliance dolly like this one

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HYNA5T2/...24139924782501

You can get them rated to 1,200 lbs. We use them all the time for ATM's up to 1,000-1,100 lbs. With a couple of ramps you might be able to just use your pickup.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Play it safe (pun intended) and hire some pros, i will next time i move one

I went with the pro movers, I would hate if I lost control of the safe and dropped it injuring myself a buddy or breaking the cast iron casters. The safes are older than I thought, early 1910's. Movers and the safes are going to run $550 total, then probably a couple hundred for materials to refinish them. But hopefully after refinishing they will be worth some $$$$.
    Last edited by Hatedbysheeple; 02-08-2016 at 03:08 PM.