Thread: To go full auto, or not to...

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

To go full auto, or not to...

No folks, I haven't gone off the deep end and decided to illegally convert a gun to go full auto. I'm in a tinkering mood and ordered a full auto ak74 fcg (stored WELL away from any spare parts that may find their way into a rifle) for something to fiddle with.

Now I'm thinking it could be neat to make a mock receiver out of plexiglass (or similar see through plastic unsuitable for use as actual receiver) to house the fcg, auto sear, and BCG. Just to watch the mechanisms and see how they work. While I would probably install front and rear trunnions, it would have no barrel/ gas system (but probably a chunk of round plastic to mimick the barrel and give the bolt something to stop on), and no magwell, so there's no way this thing could ever fire off a round.

Anyone got a reason why I shouldn't, or any pointers on materials?
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

dont matter what you make it out of, if it's in the same specs as a regular receiver it still counts.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I have an owners manual from a Bushmaster that is over 15 years old, that has a page with pictures and descriptions of semi-auto parts and full auto parts. At that time ATF held that if you had any one of those full auto parts and owned an AR-15 they would consider it intent to build a machine gun. On the other hand if you owned a full set of AK full auto fire control group parts it was no problem. I could never understand that.

Lately I have seen people bragging about using full auto carriers in their AR-15 and I wonder what has changed? Regardless as far as this non-lawyer mind knows, having full auto AK parts is still not illegal when kept with a semi-auto AK variant.

I do agree with what Helen Keller states, that there is a good chance that even out of clear polymer ATF would consider it a full auto receiver and therefore an illegal machine gun per the new ATF second amendment.

Internals would be to spec, not the externals. I would figure seeing how the mock receiver would be held together with superglue it wouldn't count as the thing would blow itself apart if anyone were dumb enough to attempt to fire it.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

you could make it a big clear display box to show the working parts.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Agree, just don't make it look like a receiver. You could etch the receiver design into the sides of your display such that looking straight down or directly from a side would superimpose the receiver lines over your parts.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    At that time ATF held that if you had any one of those full auto parts and owned an AR-15 they would consider it intent to build a machine gun. On the other hand if you owned a full set of AK full auto fire control group parts it was no problem. I could never understand that.
    I always assumed it was because of the DIAS's and lightning links where as the AK's needed to have the receiver altered permanently
    I've heard that too about the AR bolt carriers and wondered

Aggressive Perfector
    What would you use to initiate the action with no propellent coming from a live round?
    Just curious, kind of iffy on what ATF would think of it
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I don't think a FA FCG for an AK is prohibited... it won't work in a Semi-Auto receiver for lack of the third axis hole.

So, as long as you don't have a FA receiver, you should be able to mount it in a display and be just fine. Like Helen said - don't make it to spec.

They used to ship them with the parts kits all of the time...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

nothing magical about the ak fcg anyways.. other than the hole and rail slot most of the trips on just about every bolt carrier have been removed. i had a crate of virgin romy G kits a long time ago and not a single carrier had the trip . you could tell where it was milled off before the metal was finished. probably part of the whole com-bloc no F/A for non NCOs' policy.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

My BCGs for both AK's have the sear trips. Thanks for the help folks. Make it in spec enough for the parts to function, but not enough to actually install other items and function as a firearm. If that can get me in trouble there's some serious .gov horsefuckery going on.

Many prebans had FA parts.....your fine
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

I know FA BCGs, hammers, triggers and disconnectors are fine in a semi auto (depending on 922r count) as long as I don't drill the third axis hole. I'm not talking about putting FA parts in a rifle. I'm talking about making a housing for my BCG and FA fcg to install them in and look at how they work without getting in trouble due to ATFuckfaces misconstruing my display piece as an illegal full auto receiver.

Disguise it with a dildo on the end and tell them you're applying for a patent and looking for investors
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

LMFAO!

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    Aggressive Perfector
    What would you use to initiate the action with no propellent coming from a live round?
    Just curious, kind of iffy on what ATF would think of it
    I would cycle the action by hand. IE pull the charging handle. Should be good enough for the sake of just watching the mechanisms in action. After all, they should all act the same no matter if my hand is cycling the action, or gases pushing the piston.