Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Gunmen kill 17 at party in Mexico

Trust me I'd love to discuss the topic. Considering the old board and this one I'm probably the longest posting member who's never been in a flame war of any consequence, and believe that is by design . I just wanted to know if it was personal attacks you wanted I wasn't going to partake of it, if it's a discussion then we're good.

I just don't see what good it will do to hand the gov't massive amounts of money through unreasonable taxes. The whole angle of more taxes equal less govt is silly, when does that ever happen? All someone has to do is post where legalization has delivered all the posted great social benefits legalization is supposed to do and it might help. So in the end if all comes down to freedom then why tax it at all, if you can grow it in your house safely then whats the reason to tax it and how will they do that?

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Truthfully I'm not sure...and I'm not even a hard liner against drugs. You're from California, as they have legalized pot has the police presence gone down? How about your taxes? Have other drug issues decrease since I'm sure everyone is going to legal pot VS illegal drugs. Does your state spend money more wisely now? Has crime overall gone down?

I think it should just be made legal and free, take the money out of it all together for both cartels the mexican and gov't types
    Well, I'll adress these as much as I can:

Police presence? No, not gone down one bit. They are the favored revenue collection system of every city in the state, so they are exactly where they have always been. Right on your ass, looking to bust you for anything they can possibly make stick.

Taxes have actually gone up. The state is 24 billion in debt, so sales tax has gone up, as well as the aformentioned police presense. This however is the driving force that has been behind the push for legalization. In this economy, to allow the biggest cash crop in the state to go untaxed is just pure stupidity.

Other drug issues are exactly the way they were before. If anthing, less young people use drugs than they did when I was their age living in the same place. Pot is a non issue. Period. Hard drugs, chrystal meth in particular, are the problem they have always been. No better, no worse. Casual cocaine use is up with the college set, but people do not ruin their lives with it the way they used to. The only coke adicts I've ever seen were straight up crack heads.

The main reason use of other drugs doesn't go dwon though, is because they all have a different high. Some completely opposed to each other. Pot and Meth for instance are nothing like each other, and a habitual user of either drug, will not turn to the other one to get a fix. So no, you won't see meth heads and heroine adicts giving up the needle for a joint. Just isn't going to happen.

The state spending money wisely? That's a joke. but certainly less is wasted on marijuana interdiction. In fact, a lot of money is coming in from the licensing fees. And with a proposed $50 per ounce tax on legal sales, the revenue generated will be bigger then the GDP of most countries.

Overall crime? Sure, there's a lot less "illegal" marijuana use.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Trust me I'd love to discuss the topic. Considering the old board and this one I'm probably the longest posting member who's never been in a flame war of any consequence, and believe that is by design . I just wanted to know if it was personal attacks you wanted I wasn't going to partake of it, if it's a discussion then we're good.

I just don't see what good it will do to hand the gov't massive amounts of money through unreasonable taxes. The whole angle of more taxes equal less govt is silly, when does that ever happen? All someone has to do is post where legalization has delivered all the posted great social benefits legalization is supposed to do and it might help. So in the end if all comes down to freedom then why tax it at all, if you can grow it in your house safely then whats the reason to tax it and how will they do that?
    Taxation is inevitable, regardless of who's in charge. I'd rather they tax marijuana vs baby formula.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Taxation is inevitable, regardless of who's in charge. I'd rather they tax marijuana vs baby formula.
    And thats my point...Do you really expect tax on baby formula to go down if pot is legalized? Truthfully in the end don't you think the tax on baby formula will remain the same even if there's a massive new tax on pot?

And thats my point...Do you really expect tax on baby formula to go down if pot is legalized? Truthfully in the end don't you think the tax on baby formula will remain the same even if there's a massive new tax on pot?
    Depends on who's running the show, it depends on what the taxers think they can get away with. As it is right now the government is spending more than it brings in and even if there's some belt tightening they'll still need more revenue.

So is that a no? You agree most likely baby formula taxes are here to stay?

So is that a no? You agree most likely baby formula taxes are here to stay?
    Maybe, maybe not. But even if it did remain I can see no reason not to tax pot.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    1: I would them rather tax baby formula, because I don't have a baby that uses it.
    2: Again they can't tax what Im not buying from them because I will grow my own.
    If you don't grow your own you don't need to smoke it.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeedog View Post
    1: I would them rather tax baby formula, because I don't have a baby that uses it.
    2: Again they can't tax what Im not buying from them because I will grow my own.
    So, you're completely self reliant, live off the grid ect?

Quote Originally Posted by yankeedog View Post
    Dude, you're obviously smoking SOMETHING.

I'd agree with growing it yourself there should be no tax on it.

I'd agree with growing it yourself there should be no tax on it.
    Then it would be like growing tomatoes in your garden, but like tomatoes, if you buy them at the store, you get taxed.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678