View Poll Results: Should I shoot this rifle?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Should I shoot it or not?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Should I shoot it or not?

My Uncle was a Sea Bee in WWII and was in Tokyo after the surrender setting up potable water plants. He was told that if he got permission from his CO he could bring home a firearm from one of the arsenals. He asked for a Nambu pistol and had his name put on the list. When they shipped out for home the pistol was to be given to him. When the day came to go home he was told all the pistols were gone and he'd have to take a rifle. He was not happy.
    He did end up being given a Type 38 rifle that was war booty from the arsenal and brought it home. There was no Japanese ammo in the states at that time so he never shot it.
    I saw the rifle 50 years ago and told him I thought it was cool as I was just getting into surplus firearm collecting. When he passed away I found out he had willed the rifle to me. I have had it for 20 years now and have never shot the rifle.
    Now here's my dilemma. The rifle my uncle was given does not appear to have ever been fired once it left the factory.
    Before the trolls jump on me let me say this. There is not a mark on this rifle. The finish on the bolt body and it's face show not even a hint of scratches. The guide rails in the receiver as well as the locking lugs show no signs of cycling rounds.
    The follower also is pristine. The bore is bright and shiny. All parts match.
    I do not plan to ever sell this rifle as it means a lot to me being brought back by my uncle. He thought enough of me to will me this rifle. His son got all the other firearms.
    I now have access to a long range. I'd like to try a Type 38 rifle at long range but have not been able to find one with a very good or better bore.
    Should I shoot this rifle or keep it in the condition it is in for my family to sell to a collector after I'm gone? There is nothing special about this rifle other than it's condition.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Rapidrob; 02-20-2016 at 07:44 PM.