Thread: I got a 7 day ban from another board! ROFLMAO!!!

I got a 7 day ban from another board! ROFLMAO!!!

Haha!!! I am on a few other message boards that cater to electronics and technical crap. The other day, on one of those boards (they cater to the Arduino microcontroller boards), I called a moderator a "smart-a$$" (I used the dollar signs!) and I guess he got butt-hurt and banned me for a whole week.

Now my life is ruined... just RUINED I say!!!

The short story: The Arduino software normally doesn't include programming code to print floating point numbers. That is, if I want to print an INTEGER like 1 or 2 or 3, it's fine but a number like 123.456 only displays a question mark, UNLESS a special extra piece of software is included in the program.

The developers did this because microcontrollers usually have a very small amount of memory (like 32K or so) and the code to print "decimal point" numbers uses about 1.5K extra.

So, I had posted the method for including the special, extra code and I got a reply from that moderator that my method "needlessly increases the footprint" (the code size) of a program.

But, no program that I know of ever even comes close to using up all the memory, so in essence he said something like "don't carry a bowling ball in your car because it's weight will decrease your gas mileage".

A true statement, but completely irrelevant!

Since the guy posted his "complaint" solely to derail the thread and (God-knows whatever other reason), I said something like "this [example] will show that the smart-a$$ (his name) is wrong and I'll await his apology".

Instead of an apology, he got butt-hurt and banned me for 7 days.

He must be a 14 year old kid or something........ ?
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I feel your pain (okay, not really, so I'm emoting here).

Find a pretty redhead and cry on her shoulder for a while. You'll feel better and 7 days will pass before you know it.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I have come to believe that the latest breed of programmers are among the bottom of the barrel when it comes to common sense.

Reminds me of the jerk who programmed the "mr (or mrs) computerized phone answering system that tells you "For faster service, visit our website at XXYYZZ dot com" when the reason you are calling is because your internet service is down!

I can't picture a system not "doing" floating point and that well.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

You probably let it slip that you are a gun owner at some point and he was waiting for an excuse to apply his authority on you because of it.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

You know Roger, if you have been banned on another board, we have to ban you here too... 7 days you say? I'll take care of it. lol
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

14? I doubt it, they are prolly in their 30's and this is all the power they have.
    These types are dangerous because when they go uber they will kill.
    Last edited by l921428x; 02-22-2016 at 07:54 PM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    You know Roger, if you have been banned on another board, we have to ban you here too... 7 days you say? I'll take care of it. lol

The new interstate reciprocal agreement, huh?

Thanks buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    I can't picture a system not "doing" floating point and that well.

Actually, floating point in a microcontroller isn't all that important. A microcontroller does simple things like "if the float switch is on then activate the sump pump motor" or "if the temperature is below 70 then turn on the heater".

There may be a display that shows the setpoint (like "70" for the heater) and "67" for the actual temperature.

Rarely do you need to know that the temperature is actually 67.0294 degrees F.

But, there are occasions when you do need all those digits, and that's where the extra code comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Haha!!! I am on a few other message boards that cater to electronics and technical crap. The other day, on one of those boards (they cater to the Arduino microcontroller boards), I called a moderator a "smart-a$$" (I used the dollar signs!) and I guess he got butt-hurt and banned me for a whole week.

Now my life is ruined... just RUINED I say!!!

The short story: The Arduino software normally doesn't include programming code to print floating point numbers. That is, if I want to print an INTEGER like 1 or 2 or 3, it's fine but a number like 123.456 only displays a question mark, UNLESS a special extra piece of software is included in the program.

The developers did this because microcontrollers usually have a very small amount of memory (like 32K or so) and the code to print "decimal point" numbers uses about 1.5K extra.

So, I had posted the method for including the special, extra code and I got a reply from that moderator that my method "needlessly increases the footprint" (the code size) of a program.

But, no program that I know of ever even comes close to using up all the memory, so in essence he said something like "don't carry a bowling ball in your car because it's weight will decrease your gas mileage".

A true statement, but completely irrelevant!

Since the guy posted his "complaint" solely to derail the thread and (God-knows whatever other reason), I said something like "this [example] will show that the smart-a$$ (his name) is wrong and I'll await his apology".

Instead of an apology, he got butt-hurt and banned me for 7 days.

He must be a 14 year old kid or something........ ?

So why are you whining about it again?

On another site I was dinged by a mod for a comment I made, and he pm'd me to say another would get me a time out. I sent back something along the lines of "you're so sexy when you're angry!" and got a year off from the site for what I pm'd the mod. Good times.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

OP you disappoint me. I was expecting an anti arfcom rant. According to Ed Avila Sr, internet is deadly serious business.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Thumbs up

I understand! This happened to me also. I go on several Firearm Forums. One is the Walther Forums, I tried to post some Political Stuff on the General Discussion Forum of that Website. I got in to a PM Conversation with the Chief Mod. Who told me he did not allow Political Postings on the Walther Forums. I then asked him why not? It is a General Discussion Forum. He replied he does not want Political Comments period! I told him he would not last a Week on the General Discussion Forum here on gunsnet.net I then told him he could not run with the Big Dogs! He did not like that! and Banned me for 30 Days! Some of these Mods! on some Websites I have seen can easily set themselves up as Gods. If you know what I mean.
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021