Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going Shooting Tomorrow. With some Newbs.

Going Shooting Tomorrow. With some Newbs.

First time in awhile. Taking some co-workers. Two female "room mates" that have never shot before. (will try to take some pictures.) I think that two of the international students might come as well. Now I only have one .22 pistol. Walther. I plan on doing safety first.

Starting them out on the .22. Switch to 9mm, .38/.357. For rifles. Start with .22 M&P, 10/22, and cz bolt action.

Now, I like to bring several rifles in the same caliber so that I can maximize exposure of rifle with out having to bring a bunch of different ammo. So, sar 3, the new to me Norinco 84 s1, mini 14 tactical, an ar or two. (was thinking about bringing a rossi lever gun in .357.)

For the icing on the cake. Bring the Uzi, m/11 and MP-40. Depending on how they do with the other guns, let them try that out. Or at least demo them.

I told the one girl that they can shoot till their hearts content if they help pay for ammo. Call me a cheapskate, but it could get rather expensive. What are your opinions on this? Two ways I could do this, have them reimburse me for a fair amount, or (we are meeting at wall mart) just have them buy as much 9mm and .223 that they would want to shoot?

I figure that this could go either way, either buy too much and not enjoy shooting, or shoot a portion of my ammo, and not realize how expensive it could be. Or am I just being a cheap skate, and just chalk it off to an educational experience for them?

Also, do you think that I am bringing too much for a first shoot/experience?

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

For bringing 4 people who will not have their own guns I am not sure it is bad to ask them to help with the expense (as long as you didn't invite them!). As for how, that is touchier, especially given some of the guns you are taking. Maybe have them spring for the some of the less expensive stuff (9mm, .223, or .22LR) but let you keep the left overs while you provide the other ammo. Just a suggestion.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

M11, if it is a full fire rate 1200 rpm gun do not let the women shoot it. If they freeze on the trigger bad shit is going to happen! The Uzi and the MP40 are bigger and a lot slower in fire rate. On asking for help with ammo cost, I don't think it is unreasonable. I usually let people have 10 rounds on me then if they want to shoot more I'll tell them what the rounds cost. Usually they'll volunteer to pay some cash.

Schuetz, I have a Lage upper on it, (m/11) and it is very controllable. I have a slow bolt on it and it is about 650 rpm. Plus I plan on loading three to five rounds to start with. The one girl did bring up the subject of guns. I did invite her to go, that is when she asked if she could bring her "room mate." The others kind of invited themselves. Last time that me and my son went out shooting, we easily burned up 300 rounds of each 9mm, .22 and .223. And this was within a few hours. I don't want to be "cheap." but then again. A day at the range isn't cheap any more. I'll see how it goes. I do have more ammo that I could shoot in my own time, but really what I have accumulated is for my children. Never know what the future holds. Either way, should be a good day for it, and hope to take some pictures.

During the initial conversation, I did mention. If you want to go shooting, I would be happy to take you, if you don't mind helping out with the ammo cost/pitching in. She said that would be no problem, that is when she asked if she could bring her "friend."

Edit to add. Yes Mr.s Duce knows that I am taking women (lesbians) shooting tomorrow. And let's say that the international students that they invited. Well, I am going to have to make sure that they don't "limp wrist" the pistols.
    Last edited by El Duce; 03-07-2016 at 08:47 PM.

Just my opinion, but that's too many guns. The .22s are fine. Popular pistol caliber in 9mm. The .357/.38 it too powerful for a newb.
    A couple of .223 long guns. Four newbies with rifles at the same time is a bit busy, like a cat roundup. Have 2 watch & learn, while 2 shoot. You only have 2 eyes.
    Bring the Uzi if you want the WOW factor, but an event with 4 newbies will take up a lot of time.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    Just my opinion, but that's too many guns. The .22s are fine. Popular pistol caliber in 9mm. The .357/.38 it too powerful for a newb.
    A couple of .223 long guns. Four newbies with rifles at the same time is a bit busy, like a cat roundup. Have 2 watch & learn, while 2 shoot. You only have 2 eyes.
    Bring the Uzi if you want the WOW factor, but an event with 4 newbies will take up a lot of time.
    The more powerful stuff might scare the women off. A fun .22 pistol and a 9mm would be the most memorable for them in my opinion.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

I kind of figured that it would be a little busy. The folks were interested in seeing some different things. There will only be one person shooting at a time. That way I can concentrate on making sure that no one gets hurt. They know this as well. I also don't want it to be boring for the others while waiting for their turn to shoot. Thanks for the advice. I probably will scale it down a bit. Plus, the whole transportation, loading, cleaning will be an exercise in itself. Will update later. And hopefully post pictures.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Yes photos, must have photos!

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

1. Expectations of sharing ammo expense are completely reasonable. Around here, if you took them out on your boat, for instance, people always chip in gas money.

2. I read your list of guns and immediately thought that it's too many to easily teach / control with that many guests. Also, too much cleaning time later! I think you should just keep it simple, 4 max with no FA.

Just my opinion. Bottom line - taking new people shooting responsibly (as you will, naturally) is a GOOD thing and we all need to do more of it.

Sounds like you have a good game plan
    I like the idea of them getting the ammo rather than asking them for reimbursement
    Gets them more involved and eliminates the awkwardness of asking for money
    has a better feel to it in my opinion
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    First time in awhile. Taking some co-workers. Two female "room mates" that have never shot before. (will try to take some pictures.) I think that two of the international students might come as well. Now I only have one .22 pistol. Walther. I plan on doing safety first.

Starting them out on the .22. Switch to 9mm, .38/.357. For rifles. Start with .22 M&P, 10/22, and cz bolt action.

Now, I like to bring several rifles in the same caliber so that I can maximize exposure of rifle with out having to bring a bunch of different ammo. So, sar 3, the new to me Norinco 84 s1, mini 14 tactical, an ar or two. (was thinking about bringing a rossi lever gun in .357.)

For the icing on the cake. Bring the Uzi, m/11 and MP-40. Depending on how they do with the other guns, let them try that out. Or at least demo them.

I told the one girl that they can shoot till their hearts content if they help pay for ammo. Call me a cheapskate, but it could get rather expensive. What are your opinions on this? Two ways I could do this, have them reimburse me for a fair amount, or (we are meeting at wall mart) just have them buy as much 9mm and .223 that they would want to shoot?

I figure that this could go either way, either buy too much and not enjoy shooting, or shoot a portion of my ammo, and not realize how expensive it could be. Or am I just being a cheap skate, and just chalk it off to an educational experience for them?

Also, do you think that I am bringing too much for a first shoot/experience?

With the price of ammo, it's only fair that your guests pay for some of it. What I do if I'm taking someone new out is first stop at the local gun store and let THEM buy as much as they think they will want.

It's funny, invariably everyone thinks that a single 50 round box of ammo will be enough, then when I tell them "you should buy at least 4 or 5 of those", they think I'm nuts, but at the range they're thankful that they did buy more.

As far as safety, I have an orange plastic M1911 that I use to demonstrate proper handling, how to keep the finger off the trigger, how not to accidentally sweep the muzzle across where people are, etc...

I'm also nasty when it comes to "finger on the trigger"... I yell "Finger off that damn trigger! How many times do I have to tell you?"

I also tell the guests "No alcohol, no screwing around - EVER! Screw around ONCE and we immediately pack up and leave, and you're never coming out with me again".

Also, make it clear that ANYONE at ANY time can yell "cease fire" and anyone who doesn't freeze in place is gone for good. And, make it clear that it's better to mistakenly call "cease fire" than to hold back in a dangerous situation.

Anyone who is offended by my strictness isn't safe enough to go shooting with.

(edit to add): If you go out with more than one guest, it's a good idea to designate one of them as a "safety officer" (someone who makes sure the rest don't walk in front of the firing line, makes sure all weapons are safed before walking downrange, etc...)
    Last edited by Krupski; 03-08-2016 at 02:24 PM.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    The more powerful stuff might scare the women off. A fun .22 pistol and a 9mm would be the most memorable for them in my opinion.

Yeah... I've seen guys with their girlfriends at the range and they think it's funny to make their first shot ever a 12 gauge high brass slug.

The poor girl either drops the gun or almost drops it, gets kicked backwards, has a bruise on her shoulder and starts crying.

Not a good introduction to guns.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

It went rather well. The girl on the right wasn't really into it, and didn't shoot at all. The student on the right did pretty good. The guy on the left actually lives in WV and brought two of his own ar rifles. The Girl in the leggings did great.

I started the new shooters off with the .22 pistol. Then we progressed to .38. The guy that brought the rifles also had two 9mm pistols as well. I really didn't shoot any of the guns, as I was watching and "teaching" so to speak. I did let the three take turns on the Uzi, started in semi with 3 rounds loaded. Then after they got the hang of the open bolt. Let them do three shot bursts.

Rifle wise. They shot my .22 ar. The guy with his own let me shoot his, then I loaded up a magazine or two in the Norinco. I was hitting steel out to 200 yards.

Well, it was a great afternoon. Perfect weather. Off to make dinner now. No real range report. We only had less than three hours before I had to get my kids from school. I didn't want to leave the guns in the truck so I had to come home and put them away.

Some lucky students.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Yeah... I've seen guys with their girlfriends at the range and they think it's funny to make their first shot ever a 12 gauge high brass slug.

The poor girl either drops the gun or almost drops it, gets kicked backwards, has a bruise on her shoulder and starts crying.

Not a good introduction to guns.
    agreed, that really pisses me off.
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hatedbysheeple View Post
    agreed, that really pisses me off.
    I wonder how long it takes them to be getting laid again after that crap.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Looks like you got a good place to shoot.

Jet, it really is. It used to be a training facility. It is owned by two brothers that are really into guns. They used to lease it out to another guy who did training there. For what ever reason (too long of a story) The guy who did the training moved his facility to another place. Where we used to hold the WV Shoots.

But the place is an old quarry. Still has steel targets galore. But the place has turned into a social event. Mostly guys getting away from their wives/girlfriends on Wednesday nights. Having some adult beverages, then throwing the bottles into the water at the bottom of the quarry and shooting them up. Many years ago I was given a key to the place. It has about a 100 acres. There are three different places to shoot. It really is a great place to go.

When I first moved to WV some of my co-workers took me there. In the days of inexpensive ammo there would be anywhere from 10-30 folks there on a Wednesday, and it was (is) a very friendly place where the attitude was, you ever shoot one of these? No? Here grab my ammo can and go to town. It is about 15 minutes from where I live. So it is very convenient for me, safe and plenty of stuff to shoot at.

There is also an indoor range near me, I am not a member, but I do know the owners rather well. But when I do shoot, I would rather hit steel than paper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast