Thread: Obama Administration Set to Expand Sharing of Data That N.S.A. Intercepts

Obama Administration Set to Expand Sharing of Data That N.S.A. Intercepts

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration is on the verge of permitting the National Security Agency to share more of the private communications it intercepts with other American intelligence agencies without first applying any privacy protections to them, according to officials familiar with the deliberations.

The change would relax longstanding restrictions on access to the contents of the phone calls and email the security agency vacuums up around the world, including bulk collection of satellite transmissions, communications between foreigners as they cross network switches in the United States, and messages acquired overseas or provided by allies.

The idea is to let more experts across American intelligence gain direct access to unprocessed information, increasing the chances that they will recognize any possible nuggets of value. That also means more officials will be looking at private messages — not only foreigners’ phone calls and emails that have not yet had irrelevant personal information screened out, but also communications to, from, or about Americans that the N.S.A.’s foreign intelligence programs swept in incidentally.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/26/us...epts.html?_r=3
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Adolph Hitler would be so proud.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Has anyone been negatively impacted by the current NSA intercepts? Just curious as it sounds like this could be potentially devastating to the American public but then again that what I was told when the whole Patriot Act was implemented. I guess some good could also come from this sharing of info but the potential may not outweigh the possible.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

The way I'm looking at it is that if Obama likes/wants it, it's not going to be good for us.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Has anyone been negatively impacted by the current NSA intercepts? Just curious as it sounds like this could be potentially devastating to the American public but then again that what I was told when the whole Patriot Act was implemented. I guess some good could also come from this sharing of info but the potential may not outweigh the possible.
    Just the destruction of the US Constitution and the rule of law.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Like old J.Edgar demonstrated, information can be used to blackmail politicians and the use of phone intercepts for blackmail (or similar) could explain a couple of recent SCOTUS decisions.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    How would you know unless it happens to you? I strongly suspect the NSA and the King of Kenya persuaded Roberts to come up with a totally convoluted ruling.....

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    Like old J.Edgar demonstrated, information can be used to blackmail politicians and the use of phone intercepts for blackmail (or similar) could explain a couple of recent SCOTUS decisions.
    Exactly.