Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbine arrived.

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

Thumbs up Carbine arrived.

Rifle looks brand new. It is an Inland receiver with a 9-43 Inland barrel. Looks like a new M2 stock. Stock cartouche is SA over SHM. Muzzle 1, throat 1. Bore is mirror bright. Has a bayonet mount and adjustable rear sight. I will post a pic when I get my camera to work. It failed me at the car show last weekend. I cannot be happier. Every rifle I have bought from the CMP has been outstanding....chris

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Envious. Hope you get that camera working. Bet that is a real nice rifle.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

wow nice.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Happy For you!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Sounds nice, CONGRATS!!!

Looking forward to pictures of your new prize!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

So nice, waiting on the photos.

Carbine serial number is in the 200K range, an early one. The barrel date is 3-43 so it is in the correct date range to be original. I have photos but I forget how to load them....chris

No not original on the barrel date IMO. Inland made just over 2.6 million of the 6.2 million carbines. The first ones are made in 1942, production stopped in 1945. Doing simple math Inland made just over 2 million each year. Assuming they got off to a slow start and only made about 1 to 1.5 million in the first year your receiver would of been very very early in production. Possibly in the first month of production, I would think certainly within the first 6 months of production. Therefore the barrel should have a 1942 date.

Additionally it would of had no bayonet lug (merely a barrel band at the front of the stock) and a flip leaf rear sight that was very small. All the windage and elevation adjustable carbine rear sights cover up the engraving on the receivers because they were not part of the original designs. You have to remember the carbine was conceived as a replacment for the 1911 side arm so that officers had something better than a .45 ACP handgun to go into action with.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Regardless of original or not. I am still envious. Still waiting for pics. Plus "original" is just a relative term with these isn't it? I thought they were all mix and match anyway eight from the start....
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    No not original on the barrel date IMO. Inland made just over 2.6 million of the 6.2 million carbines. The first ones are made in 1942, production stopped in 1945. Doing simple math Inland made just over 2 million each year. Assuming they got off to a slow start and only made about 1 to 1.5 million in the first year your receiver would of been very very early in production. Possibly in the first month of production, I would think certainly within the first 6 months of production. Therefore the barrel should have a 1942 date.

Additionally it would of had no bayonet lug (merely a barrel band at the front of the stock) and a flip leaf rear sight that was very small. All the windage and elevation adjustable carbine rear sights cover up the engraving on the receivers because they were not part of the original designs. You have to remember the carbine was conceived as a replacment for the 1911 side arm so that officers had something better than a .45 ACP handgun to go into action with.
    My serial number is in the mfg range of 5-42 to 9-43, 6-999999. I think my barrel is original as the date of the barrel is 3-43.

Can't remember how to post pictures.

Need some help here, guys. chris

I think it's entirely possible for it to have a 42 receiver and a 43 bbl. I have a mid 42 build Hallicrafters SX28 (per the serial number) that has many tubes with 43 datecodes and JAN markings, JAN meaning Joint Army Navy milspec tubes, likely have been in the radio since it left the factory if there was a shortage of appropriate tubes when the radio was made. All radio production was shifted from consumer to military close to the entry of the US into the war, but before that most makers were loaded down with foreign orders so things in US factories were chaotic even before the US jumped in.

http://www.ohio.edu/people/postr/bapix/sx28.html
    Last edited by 5.56NATO; 03-18-2016 at 01:52 PM.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by coppertales View Post
    My serial number is in the mfg range of 5-42 to 9-43, 6-999999. I think my barrel is original as the date of the barrel is 3-43.
    With a 1 for the muzzle, no way in hell. It might be a replacement barrel from a plauseable date. There would be cleaning rod wear on an original issue barrel and your rifling would not be so very pristine. Granted all carbine ammo has been noncorrosive from the beginning but unless it was an armory queen it got shot a lot over the years before it made to you through CMP.

http://uscarbinecal30m1.com/Production.aspx
    MFG __________________________________Month Year Ending Serial #
    Inland - Inland Manufacturing Division of GM May 1942 999,999
    Inland - Inland Manufacturing Division of GM September 1943 3,212,519

You did say your sr# was 200,000 right? Therefore it would of been made prior to May 1942 as those numbers went up to just short of 1 million.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 03-18-2016 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    With a 1 for the muzzle, no way in hell. It might be a replacement barrel from a plauseable date. There would be cleaning rod wear on an original issue barrel and your rifling would not be so very pristine. Granted all carbine ammo has been noncorrosive from the beginning but unless it was an armory queen it got shot a lot over the years before it made to you through CMP.

http://uscarbinecal30m1.com/Production.aspx
    MFG __________________________________Month Year Ending Serial #
    Inland - Inland Manufacturing Division of GM May 1942 999,999
    Inland - Inland Manufacturing Division of GM September 1943 3,212,519

You did say your sr# was 200,000 right? Therefore it would of been made prior to May 1942 as those numbers went up to just short of 1 million.
    The date of mfg is really a non-issue as the rifle has gone through rearsenal. I am just happy I received a like new rifle....chris

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

My M-1 Carbine was made in 1943 and the barrel is dated for 1943 as well. I assumed everything was original as all parts, as far as I can tell, were from the same manufacturer. Mine also gaged, using the bullet method, well less than 3, looking almost brand new. I have to agree with your final assessment, though. It looks and shoots like a new rifle. I am not unhappy at all.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...P1010129_1.jpg

Here is a pic of my two carbines. The top pic is the Inland I just received. The bottom is a Underwood, Baverian Rural Police I received from the CMP a few years ago....chris

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

The upper one does look much less used. Both look good, though.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Yep it looks like a new from the arsenal refurb, very minty. Congrats.

Beautiful looking carbines

Did anyone notice the difference between the two rear adjustable sights?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast