Thread: Anyone have any experience with H110 in .357 mag

Anyone have any experience with H110 in .357 mag

I am getting ready to load some 158gr xtps and the load table calls for between 15.0 and 16.7 grains of H110. I am hoping for about 1500 FPS out of my model 27.

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

My old Speer 13 book calls for 15.5 gr as Max with a mag primer........may have updated by now....
    Dan

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I've used it for .357Mag for years with good results. Just don't download it - but you know that

This propellant was originally designed for the 30 Carbine. Which is why it works so well in the .357Mag - both are higher pressure cartridges of similar size and capacity.
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 03-26-2016 at 01:51 PM.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Morris View Post
    My old Speer 13 book calls for 15.5 gr as Max with a mag primer........may have updated by now....
    Dan
    Dan that brings up an interesting point. I have 3 different reloading manuals and I also use the powder manufacturer's load data from time to time. They all say something different. I assume that as long as you load is in the safe range in something you can reference (including primer and coal) you should be safe.

With the load above I was going to go with 16gr which still leaves me quite a bit of + tolerance on the load. I expect about +/- .1 to .2 gr with the powder dispenser.

Hopefully, this won't be considered a "zombie" thread but I just got into reloading .357 and, oddly enough, with Hornady's 158 gr. XTPs.

The manual I got this past summer from Graf's in St. Charles, MO, says it is for Hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester powders with a "printed in 2014" on the back. For the .357 using the 158 gr XTP, the W296 and H110 have the exact same specs. This chart says 16.7 grains is MAX and, from a 10" test barrel, the velocity is 1591 at 40,700 CUP (pressure). The next highest velocity is 1577 from 18.0 grains of "Lil' Gun" but the pressure is only 25,800 CUP.

I have been told by others, from experienced reloaders to company reps that the H110 and W296 are the same powder with different labels - and in some cases, PRICES.

The case (brass) listed is a Winchester with a Winchester SPM primer. I'm using new Starline brass as well as some "reused" brass and, depending on what I can find, either the SPM OR the CCI #550 small magnum primers.

As I'm going to be shooting out of both a 4" revolver and a levergun, I'm loading my loads to 16.5 grains for the XTPs but I'm also going to put some Sierra Sport Master 158 gr. JSPs together.

Hope this helps.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Shot them a little while back. They were definitely hot. Primers were a little flatter than factory loads but not totally flattened out