Thread: Are you prepared? What about water?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Are you prepared? What about water?

Check this out:

I like this because if you dig in one spot and it doesn't work out, you can start over as many times as you need before you commit the parts to the well.

My driven point well kit is a one-shot deal - once it's in the ground, you'd play hell in pulling it out... this digging method is better IMHO.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

A couple of weeks ago, I received a small water distilling kit that can be used on any type of water, no matter how dirty or polluted, or salty. It's on the smallish side (2-3 qts./day), so I'm trying to figure out a way to make a larger one...
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

I have an electric well, but I want to add a hand pump to it.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    I'd love to see somebody use that around here, they might make it 6 inches before they hit a rock.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    A couple of weeks ago, I received a small water distilling kit that can be used on any type of water, no matter how dirty or polluted, or salty. It's on the smallish side (2-3 qts./day), so I'm trying to figure out a way to make a larger one...
    Build a still. You can use that to distill water. I have seen pages on the net that show you how to build one from a beer keg.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

In my area, you get salt water unless you have a deep well, as in around 100 feet or so.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

It's not for everywhere... they say "clay and sand" - which is what I've got around me. As for a backup for an electric well pump - I'd look at a solar set-up and keep it in a metal trash can with cardboard liner to EMP proof it - bring it out if needed. But a hand pump would be good too

If you live in an area with plenty of bad water and need to purify it, then check out a solar condenser - that uses the sun to heat the water for distillation. Should be able to get several gallons a day from that...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

I would love to do this. I live in a valley with a high water table, but the ground is full of rock.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

I have a water well with a 2hp pump. I believe the well is around 130ft deep. Really good water but with high mineral content.
    About a foot down is red clay that is like a brick and it goes for many many feet. It would take me weeks to do it the way he is doing it. If I was to do something like this, I would engineer something that is power driven and weighted down. That guy must live in a low spot.