Thread: Timeless Question

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

Timeless Question

After a bout with Avast Tech Support, I'm ready to change security....what say the board as to providers? I've used them for 2 1/2 years and was satisfied....kinda gone down hill in the last 90 days.
    Dan

For M$ products I use ms essentials, before that I used Avira, wich is a great app.
    Also, have superantispyware and ccleaner installed too.

For nix I used clamwin, also good for M$ server os.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

I use McAfee and have never had a problem.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    I use McAfee and have never had a problem.
    I had McAfee for about 2 years then in order to keep it up to date, I had to download some updates, and it went downhill from there. Whole computer slowed down to a crawl and it wouldn't load certain pages, etc. Tried to uninstall it and computer went down. Managed to get it up again and had to use System Restore to load back to a previous date. Deleted McAfee from there and everything was fine. Loaded IObit Malware Fighter, updated to premium package, and haven't had a problem since.

Still use SuperAntiSpyware every once in a while, but it hasn't found anything since I've been using IObit. IObit has a great firewall too.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I am using Kaspersky and have been for about 2 years. It seems to work well and does not effect processing speed. In January after reading anti-virus reviews I decided to switch to Norton as it was rated about the same but was much less expensive (neither costs that much, though). Norton slowed my computers to a crawl and was causing them to lock up so I unloaded Norton and put on Kaspersky again and everything started working right.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Morris View Post
    After a bout with Avast Tech Support, I'm ready to change security....what say the board as to providers? I've used them for 2 1/2 years and was satisfied....kinda gone down hill in the last 90 days.
    Dan

I use a hardware firewall (no software "security" software) and never had a problem.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Thanks guys, I'll go from here.
    Dan

Went with MS essentials.....now I hassle with Avast for refund...................
    Last edited by Dan Morris; 04-01-2016 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Norton slowed my computers to a crawl and was causing them to lock up - - - .
    Over the last 18 years, I had Norton on my desktop until 2002 and McAfee on my W98 laptop. Both were such resource hogs they bogged both down to a crawl. In '02, I switched to the "free" versions of both AVG antivirus and ZoneAlarm firewall. Never looked back.
    Since that time, I have also had Spybot Search & Destroy and would run a scan monthly.
    With one exception, I haven't had an issue and that was when something came through Outlook Express from a relative. It knocked them completely off-line but just absconded with my desktop picture and some minor glitches. The AT&T tech helped me over the phone and by taking remote control of my XP laptop and helped me correct the problem. The relative's computer was off-line for a week and had to go in the shop.
    Since '05, I have also run Malwarebytes which, along with Spybot, gets used monthly. While they need to be run independently of each other (and off-line), neither takes too long (20-30 min.) and is done.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

ubuntu
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Follow up on Info.......Avast Security
    I had this service for several years with no problems....about 60 days ago, I experienced massive slow downs and a popup telling me I had 60 days left on a 'trial' period. I have call tech support several times and they refuse to answer any question unless I
    purchase a expanded program at 300% increase....I have tried to talk to them 3 times with the same spiel.....told them to cancel service......now, I can't get any answer as to refund....complant filed with BBB
    Just a FYI for any one considering them
    Dan