Thread: The 11th Airborne Division.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Thumbs up The 11th Airborne Division.

Saw a Documentary on them. The 11th Airborne Division was the 82nd of the Pacific. They had liberated a Camp of Civilian P.O.W.'s during the War, and They were the first American Unit's off the Ships in Tokyo. With Several Generations of my Family serving in the U.S. Army, I was relieved to hear that It was not just Jarheads in the Pacific Theater. Plus the Bridges and Roads on Iwo Jima, were built by a U.S. Army Combat Engineer Battalion. Plus I am happy to say no P-38 was ever flown by a Jarhead! Only the Army Flew the P.38! A Army Air Corps Squadron of P.38's Shot down Admiral Yamamoto's Betty Bomber. There is a scene in the Documentary of our Troop driving down the Roads in Japan, One Soldier Wrote they had thought the Japanese were showing Disrespect for them by facing away from the Columns of Convoys going by They later found out from someone who Spoke English, that, they, the Imperial Japanese Army, Were showing the Highest Respect they could for them! It seems, They did not feel they were Worthy to look at us in the Eye. The long ride down the Road, show row's after row's of Japanese Soldiers Standing at Attention lined up for Miles, facing away from the Trucks. Well done Documentary on www.youtube.com the 11th took Tokyo, and the 3rd. took Bagdad. Important Lesson here! The Pacific did not belong to the Navy and Marine Corps. Paul
    Last edited by Hobe Sound AK; 04-03-2016 at 01:01 PM.
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

I blame hollywood for the whole everyone was airborne/ranger or marines during WW2 .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!