Thread: yet another WASR... now with problems.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Question yet another WASR... now with problems.

Yep, found another single stack. This one for $350. After having successfully opened up the magwell on the last one, I gave this one a quick lookover, bought it, decided to open her up, install compliance parts, etc, and flip it. After all, the last one was a breeze! Well I should have looked closer. I hit a HUGE snag on this one. It's a 2001 WASR, and the front trunnion is set up to only accept singlestack magazines! Being that I already cut the receiver, I'm past the point of no return. I now have the following options:
    1. Rebuild with new trunnion, possibly with new NDS receiver unless I really want to shave the costs and keep it.
    2. Send it to someone to mill the trunmion out and replace rivets. Probably cost more. Or
    3. Sell it ast a loss as a parts kit.

I'm leaning toward option 1. As I already have a bulgarian 74 kit minus barrel and receiver that I intended to eventually build. Rebuilding this now unusable WASR would certainly get the ball rolling on the 74 build and show me what I'm in for.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Way back when they came with single stack trunions, most people I know just milled out the trunion in the receiver. As far as I know nothing needed to be replaced, just the added hassle of getting the trunion just right.

Only problem is, shop presses, kilns, drill presses, rivet jaws, etc. I can use in my friends garages. The only machinist I know is my brother, but he doesn't own his own mill, and his work expressly forbids ising company tools and equipment for personal projects, doubly so in that it is a gun free (victim rich) work place.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

I should also add that at least 2 rivets will need replaced even if I could go the milling route.there are 2the rivets in the section that needs milling. Milling this out removes the smashed ends of the rivets, basically leaving them in as tight fitting pins. I would be more than a little worried about them backing out after a lot of firing. I wouldn't trust it, so I sure wouldn't want to sell it that way.