Thread: BLO Question.

BLO Question.

Can I use BLO after I stain a stock with RIT dye?
    Since the carrier of the stain (denatured alcohol) evaporates really fast and doesn't seal the wood grain, I'm thinking the BLO will penetrate just fine.

Any opinions?
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Sure you can but you better let the stain dry for a period of at least 12 hours or when you go to rub the BLO in it will get all over your hands. In the past I have found it useful to dilute the BLO with mineral spirits or the likes to get better penetration on the first few coats.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Sure you can but you better let the stain dry for a period of at least 12 hours or when you go to rub the BLO in it will get all over your hands. In the past I have found it useful to dilute the BLO with mineral spirits or the likes to get better penetration on the first few coats.
    The stain is completely dry in 30 minutes. Actually after 15 minutes it is completely dry as the denatured alcohol evaporates at a very fast rate.
    I normally wait an hour before proceeding with any type of finish.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Yeah - works just fine but it will lift some of the stain. If you want to maintain the stain as-is completely, I'd just give in and do a satin polyurethane.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Yeah - works just fine but it will lift some of the stain. If you want to maintain the stain as-is completely, I'd just give in and do a satin polyurethane.
    I used BLO and didn't lose all that much stain. Color stayed the same overall, and resulted in a really nice finish.

BTW, I BLO'ed an Enfield stock and went back and added RIT stain later (weeks) and it absorbed the stain. Surprised me.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Team GunsNet Gold 03/2014

Quite often when using BLO, I heat the wood to open the pores so it will get better penetration of the oil.

Another thing I have done is to rub the oil in with my bare hand. The body heat, plus the friction, slight as it may be, helps open the wood pores for increased penetration.