Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I've never seen the Republican party so split and such vitriol between conservatives

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I've never seen the Republican party so split and such vitriol between conservatives

I get news and post VERY infrequently at Freerepublic.com. That place has turned into a flame feast worse than Dung. Breitbart and other conservative sites are just as bad. Facebook politic posts have gone to an all time low.

Being a Cruz supporter (enough so my wallet is lighter) I am likely biased.

I understand the anger that drives Trump supports. I have it also. I direct it in supporting the most conservative person running. What I don't understand is supporting someone who has a forty year history of not being a conservative. And the anger directed at anyone that points that out.

I've seen the videos of Trump saying Hilary would make a good President.

I've seen the videos of Trump saying Planned Parenthood does a lot of good things.

I've seen the donations he has made to a huge number of very left Dems. A lot more money than he gave Republican and when he did give to Republicans most of the time he supported establishment Republicans. I was surprised he did make a donation to Cruz for Senate, but that was after the primary when Cruz was running against the establishment David Dewhurst.

I've seen the videos of him talking about government paid healthcare.

I've seen him talking about protectionist tariffs (the last time we tried those our exports went to near zero).

Don't point any of this out to Trump supporter, they simply are not going to listen. I've never seen people so emotionally attached to a candidate since the Obots. You get called troll and worse when all you are doing is stating fact.

Trump's foreign policy speech to me was a joke. He would say we had no business nation building (OK, he is a Rand Paul isolationist) then say we had to defeat ISIS and stabilize the mid east (so he is a neo-con?). We must make good trade deals and use protectionist tariffs (Huh?). I was more confused after the speech than before... I look at the Freerepublic threads the next day and the Trump people are saying he wasn't talking to the policy wonks but the American people understood. (WHAT!?)

I went and read Trump's platform. It sounded shallow at best. I've read Cruz's a long time ago, his is basically the same one that had me voting for him as Senator.

I also know Bill Clinton met with Trump right before he announced his candidacy. I'm still not sure he is not just a stalking horse to get Hilary in... I remember Ross Perot, he put Clinton in office because he hated G. H. W. Bush...

Am I overstating this? Is Trump even close to what people want him to be?

This sucks in a year a Conservative Republican should have strolled into office easily...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

A few points in response.

1. Free trade may be good in theory -- in practice it is destroying our economy as Ross Perot said it would - i.e., the big sucking sound.

2. Unlike Cruz, Trump can actually win a general election. I believe he will attract millions of people away from the Democratic party. Cruz can't win rigged primary elections. How is he going to win a general election if somehow he flimflams his way to the nomination?

3. I don't Trust Lyin' Ted. I am really put off by the Bible thumping from both him and his father and that mentally sick mofo sycophant Glenn Beck who claims Cruz is anointed by God. I think Beck must have syphilis that has gotten into his brain.

4. All of this talk about we need a real conservative is so much bullshit IMHO. Was Bush, a real conservative, or McStain, or Romney? Were was the talk about being a real conservative when they ran? The pragmatic deal making of a Trump will trump (pun intended) a rigid adherence to so called conservative principles with respect to getting results.

5. Finally someone (Trump) actually talks about putting America first.

6. With respect to Trumps veracity I know a liar when I see and hear one - I have been to a Trump rally and I believe he is sincere. Anyone who is undecided should go to a Trump rally. The electricity is amazing.

7. And last keep in mind that people's position on issues evolve over time. For example I once identified with the Republican party but after years of voting for them I have come to the conclusion that most of them have accomplished Jack Shit.

8. As much as I dislike Cruz, I would still vote for him if the Republicans are stupid enough to nominate him. That being said, no way can he win a general election.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I voted for Crazy Bernie in the primary, as MD has a closed primary and I had to vote along Party lines, as there is no way in hell I would ever vote for Hitlery.

That being said, I will vote for ANY Republican who gets the nomination.

I like Trump and Cruz, so I can't argue for, or against, either one.

All I can do is wait and see who the Repub nominee will be and vote for him in the General.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    The scariest part of the infighting in the republican party are the words President Hillary Clinton.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

I'm sick of both parties. I'm torn between casting a write in vote for Rand, or a write in vote for the LP candidate. I refuse to vote for Trump. I would hold my nose and vote Cruz, however I cannot support a party who is openly ignoring their peoples choice of candidate. Can't do it. I'm using my toilet paper ballot to "vote" for who best represents my values and views. That is not Trump, that is not the GOPe, that is sure as fuck not a Democrat.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I agree, I have not seen the party as divided as it is. I don't trust Trump, I can't understand anybody that does given ALL the things he has said and done that label him a Democrat.

To those that say Ted can't win against Hillary, the ploes say Cruz can win and by a wide margin. The same poles say that Trump loses by 9 points or more against Hildabeast. These are the same poles that predicted Trump to win the primaries at the state level. The thing is 40% of the pelple voting for Trump = 60% of the Republicans NOT voting for him and hating him so badly that most will NOT vote for him. They will stay home and refuse to vote. That = President Hillary Clinton! As bad as that is it means much much more as the voters that stay home and will not vote for Trump will not be at the poles to vote for every other lower level Republican. The result is going to be maassive losses in the other seats up for election right down to Govs at the state level.

I will vote for Trump but I will not like doing it. I smell his bullshit a mile away but his is less bad for the US than Hillary's.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 05-03-2016 at 05:29 PM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I don't buy into anything the "poles" show. Most, if not all, poles are backed by the media and I don't trust anything they say.

As far as I'm concerned, a homeless, Mexican drug addict could beat Hitlery, even if he didn't speak English. Hitlery is so dirty, a bath in a septic tank would be a cleaner option to her.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

I can't believe the Trumpettes saying Cruz isn't a conservative...........HOW OUT OF FUCKING TOUCH IS THAT? They are blindly voting for a Democrat masquerading as a Conservative Republican. I agree 100% El Laton....... I'm just astonished at the blinders going on for Trumpettes Here's a photo of one of them going to vote:

As much as I dislike the republican candidates, I will admit that I will vote for THE republican presidential candidate because 4 years of "President Hillary Clinton" will probably kill me.

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post

1. Free trade may be good in theory -- in practice it is destroying our economy as Ross Perot said it would - i.e., the big sucking sound.

2. Unlike Cruz, Trump can actually win a general election. I believe he will attract millions of people away from the Democratic party. Cruz can't win rigged primary elections. How is he going to win a general election if somehow he flimflams his way to the nomination?

3. I don't Trust Lyin' Ted. I am really put off by the Bible thumping from both him and his father and that mentally sick mofo sycophant Glenn Beck who claims Cruz is anointed by God. I think Beck must have syphilis that has gotten into his brain.

4. All of this talk about we need a real conservative is so much bullshit IMHO. Was Bush, a real conservative, or McStain, or Romney? Were was the talk about being a real conservative when they ran? The pragmatic deal making of a Trump will trump (pun intended) a rigid adherence to so called conservative principles with respect to getting results.

6. With respect to Trumps veracity I know a liar when I see and hear one - I have been to a Trump rally and I believe he is sincere. Anyone who is undecided should go to a Trump rally. The electricity is amazing.

7. And last keep in mind that people's position on issues evolve over time. For example I once identified with the Republican party but after years of voting for them I have come to the conclusion that most of them have accomplished Jack Shit.

8. As much as I dislike Cruz, I would still vote for him if the Republicans are stupid enough to nominate him. That being said, no way can he win a general election.
    Good comments.

Especially Comment 6. That could be said of many men. 1 in particular comes to mind.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Good comments.

Especially Comment 6. That could be said of many men. 1 in particular comes to mind.

Does he have faggy haircut, a funny accent, and a permanent dirty sanchez?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

I have resigned myself to the fact that America is lost and is never coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    I have resigned myself to the fact that America is lost and is never coming back.
    I'm not giving up on the United States as a free country, just wonder how much blood will be spilled returning the constitution as the supreme law of the land.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    I'm not giving up on the United States as a free country, just wonder how much blood will be spilled returning the constitution as the supreme law of the land.
    The Civil War was by far the most costly in USA's history... CWII is going to be much worse.

Well, Cruz is pretty much toast at this point. Now I have to decide if I will hold my nose and vote for the lessor evil once again.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    The Civil War was by far the most costly in USA's history... CWII is going to be much worse.

Well, Cruz is pretty much toast at this point. Now I have to decide if I will hold my nose and vote for the lessor evil once again.

I think I may sit this one out. Tired of having my gun rights used as a ransom to force my support for candidates who do things I think are morally unsound. I also intend to sit out CWII and WWIII if and when they head our way.

Of course, if I had my way, nationwide civil disobedience in the form of refusing to pay any kind of tax would result in the eventual privatization of all the legitimate functions of government. But I'm sure that's just a pipe dream.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post

We shall see, but I'd only agree to it if the income tax and other taxes went away...

Trump, IIRC, did not break 50% of the Republican Primary vote until he got to his home state of New York. At this time less than HALF of the Republic vote went his way. More than HALF the Republican vote has voted against him. The are huge numbers of conservatives that will not vote for him. GET THIS THROUGH YOUR EMOTIONAL CONNECTION, HE AIN'T A CONSERVATIVE! AND WE CARE ABOUT THAT. Only recently has Trump poled ahead of Hilary. Cruz has been at least break even in poles since the begaining.

I think Beck was a mistake, one of many on Cruz's behalf. As for "Ly'n Ted", if you fact check it and I'm not talking Trump's website, Trump has been lied on most or all of the accusations he made against Cruz. Trump's implication today that Cruz's Father was part of Lee Harvy Oswald's plot to assasinate JFK based on a vauge picture published by the Nation Enquirer was completely over the top. Additionally, I think you might be against anyone that appeals to the "Bible Thumpers".

And not getting a real conservative got us expanded government with Bush and lost elections with McStain and Romney. And I backed Newt Gingrich, Herman Cain and Fred Thompson. Losers all
    , much of which was due to the establishment.

And Cruz didn't? You have not spent much time looking at candidates.

That last statement tells me you are making an emotional decision rather than a logical one.

Cruz's position has been the same since he was in High School, personal liberty and the Constitution. Yes, the GOPe hasn't don't shit. Cruz did try as he promised and got enemy #1 in the Senate. Boehner just called him Lucifer, that is an endorscement in my book!

I'm still trying to figure out if I can hold my nose that tight...

As I have said many times, with this election, allowing queen hillary into power is not an option unless we are willing to ignore the blood shed by our founders, and those who fought for freedom in the many wars since. Hold my nose, wear a gas mask or what ever is needed and vote for the industrialist from New York.

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post

I'm still trying to figure out if I can hold my nose that tight...
    You are right that my support for Trump is more emotional than logical. However, I am pretty cynical about politicians, or even most people for that matter, so I have to say that for me it is a big deal that I am feeling an emotional connection to what Trump is saying.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I think I may sit this one out. Tired of having my gun rights used as a ransom to force my support for candidates who do things I think are morally unsound. I also intend to sit out CWII and WWIII if and when they head our way.

Of course, if I had my way, nationwide civil disobedience in the form of refusing to pay any kind of tax would result in the eventual privatization of all the legitimate functions of government. But I'm sure that's just a pipe dream.
    If it goes down you will not be able to sit it out, it will come to your doorstep.

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    If it goes down you will not be able to sit it out, it will come to your doorstep.
    there won't be time for cute little blue or gray uniforms. i have said many times i want to teach my grandchildren to shoot. their grandchildren may very well need it in the next civil war. i am beginning to think they may see it before them. as for the election, i will vote for trump. the future of our constitution and country is depending on this election. justice scalia's death has really thrown it into limbo. in some districts staying home could tilt congress to the demorats, a hat trick for them. not voting is not a sign of protest, it is a sign of surrender.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast