Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advantages/Disadvantages of the Gas-Piston Operated Carbine

Moe, you probably knew this already, but your cantilever scope mount is on backwards. You will not be able to use a magnifier or many BUIS units until you spin it around.
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

Yeah.
    I've used Iron sights for too long.
    I'm only 3 years into optics other than Scopes.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Range report.

Nice cool morning, time 9am.
    Tobyhanna range:

First target, 50 yards.
    After using the laser bore sighter to set the optic, I was ready.
    The first shot didn't cycle, hit bottom right corner. Minor adjustment

Next three shots were great, but I could now hear a mild springy sound. Shots still off to the lower right.
    Had to do a mag adjustment, then took 3 shots. Closer to center, but still a bit low.

I was using wolf 55grain ammo.

Second target, 100 yards.
    Time to set up another target and take more group shots:

I need to focus more.

Next was mag dump, that was great. big heat reduction & the action was much faster.

Next the tear down:

It still had the light coat of oil I applied. Hands were clean after 60 rounds of dirty wolf ammo.
    No groves or scratches. Could use a magnifer, maybe a 3-5X.

Last edited by Moebrown20; 08-09-2010 at 09:57 AM.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

On my next trip, I will run 1-1.5k rounds through it and get some video. Didn't have much time today to do much.

The following, I will run another thousand and do another tear down to see if there's any changes.

Great range report!

I am thinking about installing that kit on my green bitch.
    Last edited by abpt1; 08-09-2010 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by abpt1 View Post
    Great range report!

I am thinking about installing that kit on my green bitch.
    The hardest part is removing the front sight pins!!!!
    Everything else takes about 5-10mins tops.

When you install that AA piston, make sure you get rid of that pig and add one of these:
    http://rrages.com/m4shroud/index.htm

The AA site has it for 380 or so and Midwayusa has it for 293.
    Measure first: pistol – 4”, carbine – 7”, midlength – 9”, and rifle – 12”.

Awesome, Moe. Looked pretty clean. Can't wait until the next torture test.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

great write up moe.

is the gas adjusted by turning the front piece like an fal??

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    great write up moe.

is the gas adjusted by turning the front piece like an fal??
    Some what. It has 4 points:
    1 removal
    2 normal
    3 supressed
    4 no cycle

I wonder if it will work with a .22lr conversion???
    Any input?

It would be easier(and cheaper) to dump 2-3k rounds of 22lr rather than 223

I would suggest calling up AA and asking them. I can't find anything on Google.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    I would suggest calling up AA and asking them. I can't find anything on Google.
    +1.

From Adams Arms' website: Q. What calibers will the Adam’s Arms systems work with?
    A. Currently our system will function with the 5.45x39, the 5.56/.223, the 6.5 Grendel, and the 6.8 SPC without any special modifications needed. We are in the testing stages right now with the .308/7.62 NATO and will update our website when we have a system that will work to our standards.

I would still email them about .22lr, no telling how long ago this was posted. I emailed them about 7.62x39 a few months back....can't remember what they told me. Either being looked into or in development
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

im sure it would have to be modified, as the 22lr conversions are set up with the gas key on the carrier. that would be easy enough to mill off, to let the conversion unit fit in. and im sure they would be blowback operated, so i would guess your good to go after that.

im sure it would have to be modified, as the 22lr conversions are set up with the gas key on the carrier. that would be easy enough to mill off, to let the conversion unit fit in. and im sure they would be blowback operated, so i would guess your good to go after that.
    I see it now, no need to mill the Carrier Key, they carry a modified one..... But I don't see myself coughing up 76 + shipping to get one, but the 5 bucks for the bolt spring will do.

holy shit!! for $0.10 worth of steel and 2 allen screws!!

yeah, id still mill down the one on the conversion

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moebrown20 View Post
    I wonder if it will work with a .22lr conversion???
    Any input?

It would be easier(and cheaper) to dump 2-3k rounds of 22lr rather than 223
    I'd say no it won't work with .22 LR in as much as .22 LR is very wimpy in power and the conversion bolts are blow back operated, they don't use the gas system on the weapon. They, .22 LR blow back converions are dirty beasts in their own right. But they are cheap to shoot and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I'd say no it won't work with .22 LR in as much as .22 LR is very wimpy in power and the conversion bolts are blow back operated, they don't use the gas system on the weapon. They, .22 LR blow back converions are dirty beasts in their own right. But they are cheap to shoot and fun.
    im not following your logic.

so if the conversion systems do not use the gas system at all since they are blowback operated, then why would it matter if the gas system (a part that the conversion kit is NOT using) was changed?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

im not following your logic.

so if the conversion systems do not use the gas system at all since they are blowback operated, then why would it matter if the gas system (a part that the conversion kit is NOT using) was changed?
    I'm just saying that there is insufficient gas from .22 lr to cycle the piston system. As long has his tappet or oprod / piston doesn't stick back into the upper further than a conventional gas tube a drop in .22 LR conversion bolt should work as they do by blow back with their self contained spring.

I'm just saying that there is insufficient gas from .22 lr to cycle the piston system. As long has his tappet or oprod / piston doesn't stick back into the upper further than a conventional gas tube a drop in .22 LR conversion bolt should work as they do by blow back with their self contained spring.
    It's something I would have to look into in the near future.
    I could always adjust the gas settings to suppressed.
    I've always heard that the 22lr is a very dirty round itself.

thats exactly hat i thought. it looks like it would (hit the piston), which is why i said i think youd have to mod the carrier key on it to look like the conversion one, but it should work after that, imo. in your op the first thing you said was no, and then went on to talk about the gas system. i think either you typoed or i didnt comprehend you correctly, because it looks like we were thinking the same thing.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast