Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advantages/Disadvantages of the Gas-Piston Operated Carbine

Advantages/Disadvantages of the Gas-Piston Operated Carbine

Help me out, here. I'm hoping to make one of these my next purchase, so are they actually more reliable and cleaner-shooting than the original AR?

I was taking a look at the Robinson Armament XCR, and I really liked it. My father-in-law has one and it felt great in my hands, but I haven't gotten the chance to fire it. After looking up some reviews, I heard a guy said he fired 2,000 rounds of brass-cased through it and didn't need to clean it.

Now, since I'm unfamiliar with this platform in every way, I'm a bit skeptical of this.
    Last edited by RCS; 07-18-2010 at 08:17 PM. Reason: fucked up spelling

I haven't hear anything bad about them.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robinson_Armament_XCR
    It has an AK type gas piston, so that a plus with it.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

The only disadvantages I can think of are cost and parts availability. I don't know what might break in an XCR but it's always one of my considerations before purchasing a new gun.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

RCS, you might be interested in the link below.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/WhyNotaGasPistonAR.htm

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    RCS, you might be interested in the link below.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/WhyNotaGasPistonAR.htm

Steve
    He's not a tad biased cuz he doesn't sell piston guns is he?
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

I have a LWRC piston rifle. I love the fact that the bolt and carrier stay CLEAN! I have several thousand rounds thru mine with zero issues. Love it. I have not touched my Bushmaster since.

Thanks, guys. I'm thinking the info Fulton is handing out is for the conversion kits and not the actual piston-operated rifles. I could be wrong, of course.

But I suppose I'll just have to buy one and find out. Who makes these?

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    Thanks, guys. I'm thinking the info Fulton is handing out is for the conversion kits and not the actual piston-operated rifles. I could be wrong, of course.

But I suppose I'll just have to buy one and find out. Who makes these?
    Who makes piston kits? Quite a few nowadays:

Adams Arms
    Osprey
    Addax (?)
    CMMG
    Spike's Tactical

I know there are more, just can't remember.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Looks like I have to make a call to AA soon.
    380 bucks seems close to these pistons price range.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieAKguy View Post
    Who makes piston kits? Quite a few nowadays:

Adams Arms
    Osprey
    Addax (?)
    CMMG
    Spike's Tactical

I know there are more, just can't remember.
    Oh, I meant the actual rifles. My bad. I've heard a few quirky things about the kits, and not just from Fulton. I know POF, RobArms, and Stag make them. But other than them, who else?

Like you said there's P.O.F., Robarms, and Stag. Plus...

Smith & Wesson (uses Adams Arms pistons)
    Ruger, SR-556
    CMMG
    Spike's Tactical
    LWRCI
    Para Ordnance
    Rock River
    SIG's new 516

If you're after a piston rifle, not necessary in AR format there's SIG556 or Kel-tec's SU-16 series of rifles.
    Last edited by NewbieAKguy; 07-22-2010 at 03:43 AM.

I ordered a Adams Arms pistons(carbine) form midway for under 300 bucks.
    It will be here on monday, I'll let you know how the install goes after then

swampdragon
    I like the folding stock ability on the ZM/Para TTR.
    But "technically" it's not a piston gun.

"Technically"?

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    "Technically"?
    It uses an extra long carrier key and a few other mods in the recoil system.
    It's not a piston drive.
    It's not DI either.

Last edited by swampdragon; 07-22-2010 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    I like the folding stock ability on the ZM/Para TTR.
    But "technically" it's not a piston gun.

Correct. Think RRA's new piston might be similar too, hence its folding stock.

Good video, very informative.

But I set my sights on one of those integrally suppressed ARs in 9mm from Red Jacket.

(First pic)
    http://www.redstick-firearms.com/sup...ppressors.html

I may get another upper for it that is gas piston operated, though.

The primary advantage of the DI system is no reciprocating mass above the barrel, which increases accuracy and full-auto control ability, and the pure straight line action created by using the bolt carrier itself as a gas piston.

The biggest disadvantages of the piston ARs in particular is that they do have reciprocating mass, and they function by pushing on a raised cam on top of the bolt carrier, which does not result in a purely straight line recoil, and leads to carrier tilt. This wears parts, increases recoil, and shortens the life of the weapon. Beyond that, there are about a dozen various piston designs out now, and none are combat proven or have been subjected to 50 years of design refinement like the Stoner system. Also, none have been objectively proven to be any more reliable than the Stoner system.

For those of you have have not heard, SOCOM has dropped the SCAR.
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    For those of you have have not heard, SOCOM has dropped the SCAR.
    Link? Last I heard, the dropped the Mk-16 (for the most part) but decided to keep the Mk-17 on because it carried the .308 cartridge well. That was a few weeks ago.

Edit: As of July 11th (which is the latest info I can find) they have dropped the Mk-16, but not the bigger brother. So, you're half-right. But don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the originals here. I'm looking for a low-maintenance, gunk-free rifle that I can feed Wolf through and not have to worry about what's going on in the inside.
    Last edited by RCS; 07-23-2010 at 04:34 PM.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

This is what I have heard about the fate of the SCAR.

http://kitup.military.com/2010/06/so...k-16-scar.html

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast