Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single Point Sling Question

Single Point Sling Question

For years I have used a 3 point sling. It's just what was issued to me. Not long ago, I was advised we could get our own slings in pretty much any configuration within reason. I have used several single point slings and plan on using one. Got my eye on the MagPul MS2. Any thoughts? Anybody used one? Quality? Suggestions on other single point slings? Thanks.
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

I haven't used that one. I have a two point sling that can quickly convert to a one point sling on my sterling. I bought it from BDS. I like that a lot. Though in the single point it is unwieldy because my sterling has a 16 inch barrel. I would imagine if I SBR'ed it it would work fine as a single and two point.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Lightbulb

I have a Troy Industries single point. It has an awesome pad on it and is long enough for a Sasquach to use it. Down side, not my fave from a quick release point of view.

I took a look at both suggestions. Nice slings... both of them. I ended up pulling the trigger today on the MS2 in FDE. Wished they made them in OD but, sadly, no. Didn't want a black one so FDE it is.
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

Ive had a few, like the troy one for example. Really well made.
    Not my thing, I do see where they might come in handy though.

I prefer a quality adjustable sling with HK style hooks on both ends. That way on my ars and aks I can run a single sling style, and if I feel like hiking with it, I can use it as a standard two point.

What I have found hauling my stuff around the desert, is that there is no sling style that works best for everything, unless of course the sling itself does close to everything!

Quote Originally Posted by ubersoldate View Post
    That way on my ars and aks I can run a single sling style, and if I feel like hiking with it, I can use it as a standard two point.
    That's what I liked about the MS2. Can be used as a 1 or 2 pointer.
    Skäl

swampdragon
    I guess I'm just old fashioned.
    I still prefer 2 point slings.
    The long ones can be let out for patrol carry, or shortened up for shoulder slung or across the back when climbing.
    I dunno?
    Just don't care for the new newfangled stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    I guess I'm just old fashioned.
    I still prefer 2 point slings.
    The long ones can be let out for patrol carry, or shortened up for shoulder slung or across the back when climbing.
    I dunno?
    Just don't care for the new newfangled stuff.
    I like a two-point, side slung against the left of the rifle and across my body- African carry. It's easy to transition between back and front carry and it's got a good level of support across my right shoulder when firing.

I'm experimenting with a single point holding a carbine and then a bolt rifle slung over that. It's a cool near/far combo but it's slow to transition in and out of the bolt rifle and it sucks indoors. Outside and with a team it might be useful though.

I got the MS2 in the other day. It can easily transition from single to 2-point in a second. I found after I fit it for single point that, when I transitioned to 2-point, I did not need to adjust. This thing is pretty easy to use and the most comfortable I have ever had.
    Skäl

I have a few slings from here they make good stuff !

http://www.urbanertslings.com/index.html

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

I just ordered one of these. Along with ammunition lol.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...blk&groupid=56
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

Quote Originally Posted by aliceinchains View Post
    I just ordered one of these. Along with ammunition lol.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...blk&groupid=56
    I got that one in FDE. I like.
    Skäl

I like Blackhawk. There are others, just a preference.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Sto...T,470,1342.htm
    Face your fear, accept your war.

A BH 3-pt was one of the first slings I was issued. Never would stay adjusted and fell apart after a few training days. About everything in nylon I ever got from BH fell apart fairly quickly except for this one leg holster I have been using for close to 8 years. I tend to shy away from BH.
    Skäl

We still have those 3-point slings on our patrol rifles. Haven't seen any issues so far. I think that is the standard issue sling Anywhere, USA.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    We still have those 3-point slings on our patrol rifles. Haven't seen any issues so far. I think that is the standard issue sling Anywhere, USA.
    It does seem to be the standard. Most I have talked to have had little to no issues. Biggest complaint I have heard is coming out of adjustment (slipping). Same problem we had. IIRC... first ones we issued had this complicated small strap that had to be buckled onto the front swivel. If it got too close to the barrel, it melted. We went to another model that just didn't fit well. I am not sure of the brand on them now as the tags have come off. Probably BH. It was the different complaints from different people that promped the "use your own" policy.
    Skäl

The single point is great so long as you are carrying the weapon or just dropping it for transition to a side arm.
    I tried one when on the E.R.T.
    It sucked when I was rear guard, using my side arm. It beat me to death no matter wear I had it.
    I too prefer the 2 point sling. I use a Blue Force with a strap that releases in an instant for right to left trasition. Plus no long strap hanging like on some.
    I also have QD's mounted.
    Independent Field tester/Research and Developement

"Better to die for something than live for nothing"
    MOLON LABE

I have found that I am much better able to carry my weapon with a single point. This is a necessity for my ERT job. I seldom carry a long arm on ops as I am the breacher but when I do, single point works best for me. Guess it's personal preferance.
    Skäl

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow65 View Post
    The single point is great so long as you are carrying the weapon or just dropping it for transition to a side arm.
    I tried one when on the E.R.T.
    It sucked when I was rear guard, using my side arm. It beat me to death no matter wear I had it.
    I too prefer the 2 point sling. I use a Blue Force with a strap that releases in an instant for right to left trasition. Plus no long strap hanging like on some.
    I also have QD's mounted.
    I'm on your side.
    2-point slings don't let your weapon beat you up so badly.

If I had to have a single point sling, I would use the Magpul so I could at least convert it. Single points are cool for active shooting, but pretty much useless for carrying the rifle over distance. I use and IDF sling, attached at the top rear of the stock, and just in front of the ejection port. (I am a lefty) I run the sling up over my strong side shoulder, across my back, and under my weak arm. If the Gunsnet Gallery ever gets up and working, I intend to offer some pics demonstrating why this is the only sling method that anyone should bother with, unless sniping.
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast