Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Single Point Sling Question

I just noticed, the dumbfuck modeling the blackhawk sling in the pic Bleed4me posted is wearing it backwards. It's supposed to be over his strong side shoulder, and under his weak arm. This allows the rifle to fall to his weak side, allowing him unobstructed access to his side arm --which is on his strong side. Fucking mall ninjas.
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    If I had to have a single point sling, I would use the Magpul so I could at least convert it. Single points are cool for active shooting, but pretty much useless for carrying the rifle over distance. I use and IDF sling, attached at the top rear of the stock, and just in front of the ejection port. (I am a lefty) I run the sling up over my strong side shoulder, across my back, and under my weak arm. If the Gunsnet Gallery ever gets up and working, I intend to offer some pics demonstrating why this is the only sling method that anyone should bother with, unless sniping.
    I'm right handed because it's right.
    I wanna see your pics.
    I wear mine just the opposite.

I run the sling over my week shoulder, across my back, then under my strong arm.
    Last edited by swampdragon; 11-10-2010 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    I'm right handed because it's right.
    I wanna see your pics.
    I wear mine just the opposite.

I run the sling over my week shoulder, across my back, then under my strong arm.
    Seriously, you have to try it this way. I don't know what this sling method is called, but I think Larry Vickers is a big proponent of it. Put a sling mount at the rear of your rail, just in front of the receiver, and tie up some para cord Israeli style so that you can improvise a sling mount at the top rear of your stock. Put the sling on as I described (I had to play with it for a few minutes --after decades of doing it the other way, it was hard to figure out!) Just shoulder the rifle a few times. You will immediately "get it". I guarantee it.

I can't get teh gallery to work here, but I'm going to try and post a pic of my sling set-up. Remember, I am a lefty and do it backwards.

DSCF1166.jpg
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

By the way, when I said the guy in the pic has his sling wrong, he does. The method I describe if for two point slings. He has his single point slung up wrong, so that when he lowers the rifle, it will hang to his strong side and block his side arm.

swampdragon
    I looked at your pic and understand the mounting of the sling to the rifle part.
    It's the wearing it part that confuses me.
    Maybe I'm just not able to envision what you are saying.

I looked at your pic and understand the mounting of the sling to the rifle part.
    It's the wearing it part that confuses me.
    Maybe I'm just not able to envision what you are saying.
    Hold your rifle out in front of you, with the muzzle pointing to your left, put the sling over you head, like a necklace, then reach your left hand trough the sling and grasp the forearm. Normally, you, me, and 99.9999 percent of shooters reach our strong/ shooting arm through the sling, and it is very hard to do this the way I describe, after decades of muscle memory training, but give it a shot.

Now, hold the weapon in the low ready position, pic a target, and snap the rifle up into a shouldered reflexive firing position. Then, say: "wow; why didn't I think of this!"

Try this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXs_3jGejxs

Ignore the transition drill, just look at the initial sling position.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Hold your rifle out in front of you, with the muzzle pointing to your left, put the sling over you head, like a necklace, then reach your left hand trough the sling and grasp the forearm. Normally, you, me, and 99.9999 percent of shooters reach our strong/ shooting arm through the sling, and it is very hard to do this the way I describe, after decades of muscle memory training, but give it a shot.

Now, hold the weapon in the low ready position, pic a target, and snap the rifle up into a shouldered reflexive firing position. Then, say: "wow; why didn't I think of this!"
    NOW I get it!
    Yep.
    When hanging from my neck like a necklace, I always put my strong arm through the sling.
    Just the opposite of what you are saying.
    I tried it with my AK a few minutes ago your way.
    I can't decide if I like it or not?
    LOL...
    The only way to know is for me to go outside in the next couple days and try some live-fire that way and see what I think.

Your position looks like this, only left handed?

I've just finished watching the Magpul videos (volumes 1 and 2) on the carbine and have decided to go with the MS2 and the Magpul attachment plate - workes right or left and allowes for transition to either.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Magpul is about to come out with the MS3 sling, it has different clasps.

US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

NOW I get it!
    Yep.
    When hanging from my neck like a necklace, I always put my strong arm through the sling.
    Just the opposite of what you are saying.
    I tried it with my AK a few minutes ago your way.
    I can't decide if I like it or not?
    LOL...
    The only way to know is for me to go outside in the next couple days and try some live-fire that way and see what I think.

Your position looks like this, only left handed?

Yep, just like that, except, as you know, I like the sling attached at the rear of the rail, just ahead of the receiver. It results in a shorter sling, so the carbine rides better in carry mode, and it's (the long end of the sling) out of the way.

Swampy, there is another way to decide if you like it. Just wear it around the house for awhile. Seriously. Your family already thinks you are weird, so they won't care.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12