Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Are Your Carry Pieces?

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    What is a Glock 16? Were you using the number pad at the right side of a keyboard?
    That's funny! I was probably using my number pad as this computer has both. I did mean G19!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

20151107_163933.jpg

I picked up a pair of sequential Makarovs about a year ago. I carry the grungy looking one. Went to Front Sight for a 4 day pistol class last year and got made fun of by the guys with me and some of the instructors. By the beginning of day 2 they had all shut up. I love that little gun.

In my 60 years, 40 years of carrying I've had one close call but have never had to actually pull the trigger.

In the past I've carried several different pieces depending on the season and activity ... summer-time the Hi-Standard derringer in 22mag, KelTec P3AT is easy too, cooler weather with jackets or coats I've carried a Kimber Pro-Carry 1911, SiG 230 stainless, in the last 40 years many have come and gone for something better or sometimes just something different.

Some of the carry pieces I've had were fairly expensive then a few years I was having a discussion with a retired cop about carry pieces and he was saying that if you ever have to use it, when you get it back, it won't be the same ... When you do get it back it will at least be etched with a case number and basically thrown into a box with other confiscated guns, once the case it closed and its returned to you, that Kimber Pro-Carry or other $8-900 gun will only be "worth" a couple hundred bucks, if that ... some people don't even want a gun that was used to defend yourself with. That's when I started carrying my Glock 19, until a few months ago when I picked up a G43. With the 19 or 43, they are completely reliable and if necessary I can pick up another for $500 or less, and if it ever gets etched, I don't think it will bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by kimberkid View Post
    In my 60 years, 40 years of carrying I've had one close call but have never had to actually pull the trigger.

In the past I've carried several different pieces depending on the season and activity ... summer-time the Hi-Standard derringer in 22mag, KelTec P3AT is easy too, cooler weather with jackets or coats I've carried a Kimber Pro-Carry 1911, SiG 230 stainless, in the last 40 years many have come and gone for something better or sometimes just something different.

Some of the carry pieces I've had were fairly expensive then a few years I was having a discussion with a retired cop about carry pieces and he was saying that if you ever have to use it, when you get it back, it won't be the same ... When you do get it back it will at least be etched with a case number and basically thrown into a box with other confiscated guns, once the case it closed and its returned to you, that Kimber Pro-Carry or other $8-900 gun will only be "worth" a couple hundred bucks, if that ... some people don't even want a gun that was used to defend yourself with. That's when I started carrying my Glock 19, until a few months ago when I picked up a G43. With the 19 or 43, they are completely reliable and if necessary I can pick up another for $500 or less, and if it ever gets etched, I don't think it will bother me.
    Most places use a bar code inventory control in their property room so it would have a sticker on it not etching. Before that most places would use a property tag affixed with wire, so maybe a little finish wear or scratching from the wire. I've never heard of etching or any other permanent defacing unless a judge orders a confiscate and destroy. If it is a semi auto pistol, the slide will likely be locked open for the duration. So the worst case scenario is that you'd replace your recoil spring. Practices obviously vary but I sure would be upset if they tossed my $1500 1911 in a bin to knock around with a bunch of Jennings and High Points.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123