Thread: Doom anyone?

Doom anyone?

I've been playing the new one on ps4 and its awesome

I just found my original PC version of Doom II.......Does it play on Win 10?
    I used to know all the codes for unlimited guns and ammo and God mode. I could walk through walls and not die.

BISHOP

I am pretty sure there is a windows version the new one is bad ass

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

The new one is awesome. I played it some, but I find no reason to pay retail price for games when there is such a backlog of older titles to get for cheap on Steam, a popular gaming "system" for PC. I'll get it when its cheap.

For playing old school Doom, I recommend using a source port such a GZdoom, which will require you to copy the .WAD files into its folder, which is super easy. This will give you better video and control layout options.

Additionally, the old Doom games should be at least tried with something called "Brutal Doom" which significantly improves the game play. Trust me, you should try it. Doom 2016 is obviously inspired by it.

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Nah, not done the latest one for reasons of cost. When it drops to 20 bucks maybe. I'm busy with Witcher 3, Xcom 2 and Killing Floor 2. Recently KF2 released the Sharpshooter Perk and I was grinding it on Father's Day from level 0 up to 7 when I quit.

newp... waiting for sniper elite 4 to come out : D
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Speaking of Doom, I thought this was funny:

i need a dos emulator.

I have all sorts of doom bootlegs and programmable versions i've picked up.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    i need a dos emulator.

I have all sorts of doom bootlegs and programmable versions i've picked up.

Why not use a windows 10 compatible source port like GZDoom?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I've been playing the new one on ps4 and its awesome

Is that the new one (Doom 4 or whatever)?

I remember playing Wolfenstein on my old 386SX PC and how it made me dizzy until I got used to the 3D effect.

The original Doom was loads of fun because it was the first multiplayer game I ever had and I connected my PC to my son's PC and we played deathmatch with each other (LOADS of fun!).

When more complex multiplayer games (like Unreal Tournament) came out, I used to play in spectator mode and cover my son's six (visually - I couldn't shoot as a spectator).

I would watch around him and warn him when someone was going to shoot him and where from. The other players started to accuse him of cheating because he seemed to "know" what was coming just before it did (LOL!!!!!!!!)
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by BISHOP View Post
    I just found my original PC version of Doom II.......Does it play on Win 10?
    I used to know all the codes for unlimited guns and ammo and God mode. I could walk through walls and not die.

BISHOP

I think Doom II (or some patch or pack for it) had cool stuff like a doppelgänger (a double of the player that exploded when shot - killing the attacker) and the "A-M bomb" that would destroy almost everything in one blast.

I loved the doppelgänger because it just stood there breathing and looking left and right. So then *I* would just stand there looking like a doppelgänger and my son would say "you're not gonna fool me again" whereupon I would turn around and drop him with a hail of rockets! LOL!!!!
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

If any of you use Steam, the summer sale right now is fucking insane!!!!!!!!

Doom is $36 ...

All the ones on my wishlist are being bought and installed tonight while I sleep
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Yes I do steam. I am not a console gamer.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Unless it comes out for Xbox 360or (which I doubt as it's pretty much phased out), count me out for the near future.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

There are several modern front ends for the old doom, I forget which one I used from sourceforge but it had modern resolutions, multiplayer the whole nine yards, made it fun again. Think it was doomsday engine. Worked on win64XP and XP that's all I tested it on.