Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The rain is pouring down!

The rain is pouring down!

Barely made it home from work after picking up my daughter from a friends house. The county is under state of emergency. I live on the high ground. But looks like I won't be going to work in the morning. Roads closed. Going to be a mess for sure!

I just hope that we don't lose power. I do have a generator. I sure would hate to have to hook it up in the rain. But then again. I would rather do that than have a flooded basement! Sump pump has been running about every 20 minutes. Cross your fingers for me!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

WOW! We have a drought here and 90+ heat. Ironic, you're getting flooded and we are in drought mode here in GA.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Wish I could send you some of our rain Scheutz. In the past week my area has gotten about a foot of rain. First rain dumped 4 inches, second left 3 and last night about another three. There were some smaller rainfalls between the dumps. About ready to take out stock on sump pumps. I have two that are running almost constantly.

Wow again!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    TV reported we have virtually the whole summer's worth of rain in the last 10 days with more storms forecast in the next couple of days.

When the sun comes out, it is a real sauna. Temps in the high 80s low 90s. The type of weather you can just stand still and start sweating.

But it sure beats our winters!!!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Globull warmins at its best....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    Barely made it home from work after picking up my daughter from a friends house. The county is under state of emergency. I live on the high ground. But looks like I won't be going to work in the morning. Roads closed. Going to be a mess for sure!

I just hope that we don't lose power. I do have a generator. I sure would hate to have to hook it up in the rain. But then again. I would rather do that than have a flooded basement! Sump pump has been running about every 20 minutes. Cross your fingers for me!
    If my memory is correct you live near Greenbrier. I have a daughter-in-law who is from Richwood. She has been staying at her parents for an extended visit due to my son being deployed to Iraq. She had to flee Richwood today with her two children and mother due to the flood and evacuation order. Her father refused to evacuate. The house was destroyed. Status of the father is unknown as of this evening. In addition to the town being flooded they were hit by a major tornado today.

Try sending some of that rain to St. Louis!! We're over 4" low on rain already and we have had real temps in the upper 90s for 9 of the last 10 days (Heat indices 105-110).
    Some of the ground cracks are 3/4" wide already!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    If my memory is correct you live near Greenbrier. I have a daughter-in-law who is from Richwood. She has been staying at her parents for an extended visit due to my son being deployed to Iraq. She had to flee Richwood today with her two children and mother due to the flood and evacuation order. Her father refused to evacuate. The house was destroyed. Status of the father is unknown as of this evening. In addition to the town being flooded they were hit by a major tornado today.
    That doesn't sound good!

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Hopefully he's okay. There is a search underway for a 4-year-old who was swept away in the flood waters.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Glad you live in the hills and that you will be alright. It's weather like this that stops me from ever wanting a home in a valley or next to a river.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Holy Crap. Rained and rained. Lost power last night around 11 pm. Got up, checked the basement. There was a little water. Got up again at 4 called work. They were still open. Told me that the roads were ok. Yeah right. Called back at 5 30 am and told them that I would be late. Did my darndest to get the generator started. No use/luck. Went to lowes. Thankfully they were open.

Bought a new 5200 watt gen. Old one is from 2000 and probably can be fixed. But not today.

Got to work at 11. Looked like a war zone in Caldwell. Had to turn around and get on the highway from 219. Got to work. No power. Crap. Stayed there for about an hour. Tired to get to Virginia to get some more gas. Can't get on the high way in White Sulphur. Finally get home. See what folks have been posting on facebook. Holy Crap.

The devastation in Caldwell and White Sulphur. Unbelievable. No work tomorrow. Looks like JJ has decided to shut down the place for a week or so. After seeing some of the damage there. I really doubt that the course is going to be ready for the PGA.

Thank GOD I got my Daughter yesterday. White sulfur flooded. Houses gone, roads and bridges really messed up.

Power just came back on here about a half hour ago. 24 hours before schedule. Thank God all is ok here. Lots of friends lost a lot. 17 reported dead so far. Expected to climb. Well all that in a nuchshell.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Any updates? Did they find the father?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Holy Crap. Rained and rained. Lost power last night around 11 pm. Got up, checked the basement. There was a little water. Got up again at 4 called work. They were still open. Told me that the roads were ok. Yeah right. Called back at 5 30 am and told them that I would be late. Did my darndest to get the generator started. No use/luck. Went to lowes. Thankfully they were open.

Bought a new 5200 watt gen. Old one is from 2000 and probably can be fixed. But not today.

Got to work at 11. Looked like a war zone in Caldwell. Had to turn around and get on the highway from 219. Got to work. No power. Crap. Stayed there for about an hour. Tired to get to Virginia to get some more gas. Can't get on the high way in White Sulphur. Finally get home. See what folks have been posting on facebook. Holy Crap.

The devastation in Caldwell and White Sulphur. Unbelievable. No work tomorrow. Looks like JJ has decided to shut down the place for a week or so. After seeing some of the damage there. I really doubt that the course is going to be ready for the PGA.

Thank GOD I got my Daughter yesterday. White sulfur flooded. Houses gone, roads and bridges really messed up.

Power just came back on here about a half hour ago. 24 hours before schedule. Thank God all is ok here. Lots of friends lost a lot. 17 reported dead so far. Expected to climb. Well all that in a nuchshell.
    For so much devastation there is very little in the news about it. I have heard a little but not as much as I would think with 17 dead. Stay safe.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Any updates? Did they find the father?
    Thanks for asking. I don't know his exact health status but he is alive. This is a man who is partially disabled from being wounded in Vietnam and agent orange exposure so that added to the concern. My wife tried to talk to the daughter-in-law via phone but she was in such a distraught emotional state that it was difficult to get a lot of specific information.

Here is a slide show with some pictures from the flooding. It is unreal.

http://www.wvva.com/story/32280965/2...ewell-counties

Spent the day working in White Sulphur with a team called Mercy Chef's. They brought in a mobile kitchen and walk in fridgerator. We made about 800 meals today. Partnered with a local church we helped distribute food, clothes and water to anyone who needed it.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Long as I remember! Rain been coming Down!
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

This was a thousand year flood. Weather report says we are going to get hit again.

http://www.google.org/publicalerts/a...=US&source=web

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

Glad you are ok. I just realized the flooding is in your neck of the woods. Stay safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast