Thread: How SilencerCo is Undermining Silencer Shop’s Kiosk Program

Thumbs down How SilencerCo is Undermining Silencer Shop’s Kiosk Program

http://modernrifleman.net/2016/06/09...kiosk-program/

It didn’t take long for Silencer Shop’s post-41F kiosks to attract the ire of competitors. In an email sent back in May by SilencerCo to their distributors, the suppressor giant accuses Silencer Shop of “spreading the next wave of Post (sic) 41F misinformation” and advises dealers that licensees are not permitted to collect fingerprints under the new regulations. The whole message, as provided to me by a friendly dealer, is posted below.

Unfortunately, SilencerCo’s claim lacks any sort of citation. Modern Rifleman has reached out to the company for clarification, but has yet to receive a response. Without material proof of Silencer Shop’s supposed wrongdoings, it’s virtually impossible to validate the assertion.
    Based on the final 41F text, it seems that SilencerCo is in the wrong here. On page 150, the ATF states the following:
    Fingerprints may be taken by anyone who is properly equipped to take them (see instructions on ATF Form 1, Form 4, Form 5, and Form 5320.23). Therefore, applicants may utilize the service of any business or government agency that is properly equipped to take fingerprints. Depending on where the fingerprints are taken, the service may require an appointment, and appointment availability may be limited. Some businesses provide evening and weekend appointments and a number of private companies provide mobile fingerprinting services at a location chosen by the customer to be fingerprinted. Additionally, some mobile fingerprinting services offer special pricing to groups of individuals who need to be fingerprinted.
    Reading the above, it’s quite clear that private parties may collect fingerprints for the purposes of NFA submissions. Additionally, Silencer Shop has both privately and publicly informed Modern Rifleman and others that their legal team not only reviewed the kiosk program, but they also have written approval from the ATF. It is worth noting that the ATF does not require any sort of certification for a business to take fingerprints, only that they be “properly equipped” to collect them. Based on that fact, Silencer Shop’s efforts to receive ATF blessing would indicate that they have gone above and beyond the rule’s requirements.
    Again, until SilencerCo responds to Modern Rifleman’s request for comment (with material evidence), it is only appropriate to assume that the accusations are false. While the business rift between SilencerCo and Silencer Shop is no secret, it is still disappointing to see one Tier One Sponsor of the American Suppressor Association actively undermining another’s efforts to put more silencers in private hands. I’ll update this article if more information becomes available.
    Disclosure: Modern Rifleman and Silencer Shop have an ongoing business relationship for the purpose of suppressor reviews and news.
    Share this:

Related

Silencer Shop Announces Post-41F Purchasing Program

In "Firearm News"

Modern Rifleman Weekly 1/17/16

In "Modern Rifleman Weekly"

Modern Rifleman's Comments on Proposed NFA Forms

After nearly two months of sitting on the proposed post-41F NFA forms, I've finally had a chance to sit down and draft a handful of comments on the new applications. As many readers probably know, ATF 41F is a recently finalized rule that will impose new and significant requirements on…
    In "Politics"

Subscribe to Modern Rifleman
    Enter your email address to receive notifications of new posts by email.

Email Address

Firearm News, Silencer Shop Authority ATF, SilencerCo, Suppressors
    Related posts

Post navigation

← Triggered: ALG Defense QMS vs. Palmetto State Armory EPT Senate Dems Filibuster for Gun Control, NRA Responds →
    4 thoughts on “How SilencerCo is Undermining Silencer Shop’s Kiosk Program”

• jeff June 9, 2016 at 6:03 pmDirect from the ATF website https://www.atf.gov/explosives/qa/ho...erprints-taken
      It reads: Fingerprints must be submitted on Fingerprint Identification Cards, FD–258 that have been issued by ATF. The fingerprint cards must contain the following ORI information: WVATF0900; ATF–NATL EXPL LIC, MARTINSBURG WV. These fingerprint cards may be obtained by contacting the Federal Explosives Licensing Center at 877-283-3352 or the ATF Distribution Center at 703-870-7526 or 703-870-7528. The fingerprint cards must be completed by your local law enforcement authority.

• Modern Rifleman Post authorJune 9, 2016 at 6:14 pmJeff,
        That is true that the site says that. However, the Q&A on the site is not an official document. On page 150 of the final rule, the ATF makes it very clear that private businesses may collect fingerprints. This fact is reinforced by the language on the draft Forms 1, 4, and 5.
      • JJ June 9, 2016 at 7:54 pmThat’s for explosives. Says so right in your link.

• Inna Woods June 11, 2016 at 12:05 amBuying from SilencerShop is like letting Tyrone make love to your wife

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
    Comment
    Name *
    Email *
    Website

Notify me of follow-up comments by email.
    Notify me of new posts by email.

The Toolbox

Platinum Partners

Modern Rifleman on Twitter

Modern Rifleman on Facebook

Modern Rifleman on Instagram

@modernrifleman
    Partners

Subscribe for Updates

Email Address

Archives

Archives

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

I bought all four of my cans through silencer shop, they have done right by me and they will continue to get my business.
    Initial Success or Total Failure