Thread: 39 Years ago Today, Pikes Peak Climb! 4 July, 1977.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Exclamation 39 Years ago Today, Pikes Peak Climb! 4 July, 1977.

I had been putting off going up Pikes Peek, for sometime. Having arrived at Ft. Carson, Colo. in January, 1976. But Having recently got a 1976 Yamaha 175 Enduro Trail Bike, I knew I had a big enough Bike to try, 125 would have been too small. I started early that morning, For those of you who have been there, you will know it takes awhile just to get to the Mountain. You have to go trough several small Towns, such as Manitou Springs. Even thought it was July, I had my Flannel Shirt, and Jeans Jacket. It was a long Ride up there. Half way up is a Camp ground and Trailer Park. for People who want to stay several Days, I made it up very wind blown. Stopped in the Gift Shop got one of those neat Bumper Stickers, that say, I made it up Pikes Peek, and they stamp the Date on it. Went in the Diner and had some Lunch. I wish I still had the Photos. Not only could you see Ft. Carson and the Ranges on Base, almost to Pueblo as well, to the left was all of Colorado Springs, Security, Wide field, and every other small Town out the West Gate of Ft. Carson. What was really stunning and the reason for my Post, was the back side! When I turned around and took Photos on an old 110 Kodak Portable Camera. the back side facing Southern Colorado, is one I will never forgot. saw nothing but Mountain Ranges as far as I could see. nothing else. I have not been able to see any of this on Bling or Google, of the exact areas I remember, if anyone was also up the Peek and took photos of the Back Side, please post here. It looked like a Photo from National Geographic. I will never forget my Ride up the Peek. They stop you halfway back down to check your Brakes. I did not get back to my Barracks on Post till after 5 PM that Friday, the 4th of July, 1977.
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

There is also the remains of a Mount there by all the Information Signs on the Top of the Peek, where a Large Historical Airplane Engine, was tested in 1908. They wanted to see how it did at High Altitude, Funny they had not made a Plane for the Engine Yet. I recall they made a Commercial about it as well. Paul
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

When I was in High School. My brother did it on a Schwinn bicycle. He was last. But he made it.

I had to go Slow up the Peak, I don't think there was too many times I was able to get to 5th Gear. too many winding Turns and Curves. I found a File Photo of a 1976 Yamaha DT175 Trail Bike, and put it in my Photo Gallery. It must be a file Photo from the Yamaha Sales Flyer. The Bike is brand new. If anyone can move it to this Post for me, Please do. Thanks Paul

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

I understand your passion for that area. We have made five trips to Ouray. While there, we always go spend a day in Silverton, and a day in Telluride. The hiking is unreal. Btw, Manitou Springs has really grown up. Still beautiful though. If I had discovered the Rockies earlier in life, I would have noved there. If I don't go back this fall, I plan to go in the spring.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

It would be nice to see some of those photos. Sounds like you had some big fun doing it.

Hobe - you are lucky!

On a family trip in '71, my brother and I tried to take our bikes up too. His was a 125cc Suzuki dirt bike and mine was a Honda 100cc street bike. They told us that only bikes with 20HP or better were allowed up and neither of ours qualified.
    We ended up cramming 5 of us in the car to drive up.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”