Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to sell a rifle locally is harder then pulling teeth.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Trying to sell a rifle locally is harder then pulling teeth.

just a bit of a rant. I decided to list my ishapore SMLE on Facebook for sale. $500 Canadian ($383 USD). Included was the bayonet (long one) New repro web sling, new repro blank brass stock disk and 100 rounds of loose older soft point ammo. The numbers are matching on this rifle and the bore is mint. Even the side of the receiver where the bolt head runs back and forth is not worn yet. Still has all the black on it. First offer was a trade for a bastardized SKS. (SKS are worth $200 Canadian here for a mint condition one.) Second guy called and said he was coming over to look at it. I waited 3 hours. He never showed up so i called him and the phone just rang until voicemail. I called again an hour later same thing. Meanwhile there was another guy wanted it. He asked where it was made. I told him Ishapore means India. The asshole then tried to explain to me that indian Lee Enfields are only worth half what i am asking. The asswad didn't even know that ishapore was india and he expected that bullshit to convince me to give him the rifle for half what i was asking. WTF. I unlisted the rifle. I am keeping it now. I am better off for doing so. Because like i have been told before there is no reason to sell things just because your bored.

People must be drinking too much fluoride around here or something.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

too bad your're in canada... id give you $383 for it.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    too bad your're in canada... id give you $383 for it.
    I was having some sort of thing where i figured if i cold sell it and get the $500 Canadian i would put it towards something else I was looking at a Thompson Encore barrel in .416 rigby.... I have too much time off and on call. I never thought i wold complain about that lol. It was a simple case of boredom and lets see what happens and i ended up getting pissed off at the results. How nuts is that. I had it priced low enough to sell quickly (i thought) and still higher then i paid for it. I am going to play a game next week. I am going to post on the same FB group looking for an ishapore SMLE with bayonet and see what sort of bullshit offers i get. I bet the average going rate is going to be $800... not because its worth that but just because the people in these groups are down with the syndrome.
    Last edited by rci2950; 07-09-2016 at 07:11 PM.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

I'm surprised you can sell a rifle without a permit, 60 day waiting period, submitting blood samples at the main RCP center in triplicate after getting a permit to move it from your house

Sorry, I used to deliver caskets to Winnipeg, MB and I talked to the guy who ran the show up there, he was telling me the crap you had to go through to get a pistol, take it to the range ect......

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    I'm surprised you can sell a rifle without a permit, 60 day waiting period, submitting blood samples at the main RCP center in triplicate
    nah non restricted (rifles and shotguns) is just a simple licence check. All i have to do is visually sight the buyers license card. Weather they take a picture of it and email it to me... hold it up to a webcam doesn't matter. I can then mail them the gun. I normally choose canada post and buy insurance for two or three times the value. If the gun ever goes missing i would refund the buyers money and then end up with double or triple the profit.

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    nah non restricted (rifles and shotguns) is just a simple licence check. All i have to do is visually sight the buyers license card. Weather they take a picture of it and email it to me... hold it up to a webcam doesn't matter. I can then mail them the gun. I normally choose canada post and buy insurance for two or three times the value. If the gun ever goes missing i would refund the buyers money and then end up with double or triple the profit.

Umm, would they honor something insured for triple the value if it gets lost? I can't picture that.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Umm, would they honor something insured for triple the value if it gets lost? I can't picture that.
    They aren't really in a position to argue how much a used gun is worth if they lost it because its not around to analyze for value. The woman in the call center is also not an expert on gun value.. you think they are gonna check gun broker for the current trending prices?
    Last edited by rci2950; 07-09-2016 at 10:10 PM.

mebbe cuz yur ghey................
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I would like to share this information with Americans that think every civilized nation on earth has mandatory background checks.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

way easier than in California.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I would like to share this information with Americans that think every civilized nation on earth has mandatory background checks.
    The background check happens when you get the license and when you renew it every 5 years...

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

The background check happens when you get the license and when you renew it every 5 years...

Thought that was a drivers license.

In SC you don't have to do anything for private transfers. Literally you just swap guns for money.
    Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 07-10-2016 at 12:12 AM.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

That's interesting.....Why are handguns such a hassle, they all can kill in the wrong hands. What kind of hassle do you go through to get a license to own non restricted rifles/shotguns?
    On another note, can you guys get a permit to carry a handgun or is that simply nonexistent except for law enforcement?

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    That's interesting.....Why are handguns such a hassle, they all can kill in the wrong hands. What kind of hassle do you go through to get a license to own non restricted rifles/shotguns?
    On another note, can you guys get a permit to carry a handgun or is that simply nonexistent except for law enforcement?
    The license to get a non restricted is not hard. It is a class that runs two nights with a written and practical test. It is all about safety. On the practical they get you to do things like clear the rifle and prove it safe. Or they hand you a 12 gauge shotgun and 20 gauge snap caps and tell you to load it. they teach you about head stamps and calibers. things that i think someone should know before they get a firearm, You guys wouldn't like it but i actually agree with the way this part of it works.

As for a carry permit. If you can prove that there is a credible threat to your life and the RCMP could not reasonably protect you. It is possible to get a concealed carry permit from the RCMP but i think you still need the license. so non gun owners would be hooped...

Handguns are such a hassle because they are concealable and in the eyes of a lot of people serve no purpose for hunting they are only for shooting people. I know you can hunt with them but they don't see it that way. You can have one in a public place without anyone knowing. It is hard to sneak a Browning Citori around in a shopping mall without someone noticing.

In Canada for the most part the general attitude is that guns are for hunting and providing food. The self defence part comes last and is not an excuse to buy a gun. As a matter of fact the rcmp ask you on the phone why you want the gun when you are getting your license and its a trick. If you say self defence you are not getting it.

It seems to be a universal thing here. My lincoln over/under shotgun would alarm nobody if they saw me going from my truck to my house with it. Or if the cops pulled me over and saw it in the truck. It has happened before to me. I went though an impaired driving stop and the cop asked me why i had the shotgun across the back seat. I said i was duck hunting. He asked me if i got anything with actual curiosity then sent me on my way. But if i had my VZ58 or Type 97 and the cops seen it i would probably get rodney king'd on the side of the road. --- of course if you pulled the shotgun out at the mall or downtown Halifax it would be just as bad for you as pulling out a handgun. Everything is within reason.
    Last edited by rci2950; 07-10-2016 at 07:31 AM.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Ah yes, I remember trying to sell shit on armslist, by the time I got fed up with it the disclaimer I put at the bottom of the ad was longer than the ad. First thing you get is a dozen people asking "Do you still have it" followed by no response when you tell them you do. Then you have the ones who you go back and forth with for a dozen emails, they agree to buy it, then when you tell them where to meet they say "I didn't know where you live, that's just too far". Well ya dumb fuck I put my location in the title of the fucking ad. Then the low ballers, who BTW just send out lowball offers to everyone, if you agree to their offer they'll ask you what gun you're selling. And of course the criminals who want you to mail the gun to their house (in jersey) or sell them the gun and then report it stolen.

I really hate people.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

yes to all of the above. the hundreds of "do you still have" then drop off the face of the earth. the "ill take it", then, "oh, i lve 16 hours away, will you drive half way across the country to sell me a $50 item??" reminds me why i fucking hate everyone.

heres one of my most recent exchanges(the names have NOT been changed to protect the stupid):

Re: 2004 eddie bauer explorer- parts or fix

Gene Derr:Still have

me:i still have. i have a few ppl asking about it that i need to get back to. it has an electronic dashboard and the battery is dead so im waiting on my brother to hook a charger to it to check the mileage. but as of yet, no one has committed to it.

Gene Derr:Let me know ty I got cash or a forwheeler

("forwheeler", nice)

me:updated the listing with more info. no one committed to taking as of yet.

(pertinent updated info being "no trades")

Gene Derr:Still have intrested

me:still have

Gene Derr:What's ur best cash today

me:ad says $600. feel free to make an offer.

Gene Derr:400

me:no

(10 days later)

Gene Derr:350 cash

me:700

Gene Derr:I got 300 cash

me:wont go lower than $850

Gene Derr:It says 600 but I'll do 400

me:for you, $950

Gene Derr:I'll pass

me:ill tell you what, if you have cash today ill do $1200

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Not an Enfield Fan, here, BUT! Is it possible that most Folks as do I think an English Made Rifle is better Quality than an Indian Copy any day? R.S.A.F. Enfield is one of the most famous Arsenals in the World, India still is a 3rd World Nation today, I can't manage them making an Enfield of English Quality. but like I said Not and Enfield guy, as an Example, I would not buy a Mauser that was not German Made!
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    Not an Enfield Fan, here, BUT! Is it possible that most Folks as do I think an English Made Rifle is better Quality than an Indian Copy any day? R.S.A.F. Enfield is one of the most famous Arsenals in the World, India still is a 3rd World Nation today, I can't manage them making an Enfield of English Quality. but like I said Not and Enfield guy, as an Example, I would not buy a Mauser that was not German Made!
    but to the point that the rifle and bayonet combo would be worth $250 Canadian?

an English Made Rifle is better Quality than an Indian Copy any day?

Quality and looks yes... The metallurgy used in the Indian rifles is way above british standards.

Same with carcanos, they look like absolute shit, BUT italy bought only the $$$ high end metals from the czechs to make em.

Your rifle alone around here is $275-325 pending on condition, with that older bayo ( P-1907 ? ) you're talking $60-120 pending condition and if it has a scabbard, and 100 rounds of .303 british unless the cases are corroded some places about $.60 a round.

so with all that your US $ equivalent is a steal.

BTW , I hate wheeling and dealing with people on shit anymore as well. When you have an MG parts kit I want , you state your price and I offer you that amount in Cash and you drop off the earth. GFY. Or the " I sold it to my buddy " excuse, well then fuck you and fuck dat n**** too.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast