Thread: Help with Mauser identification

Help with Mauser identification

The photo I took suck sorry

The wings look mostly like the upper right in this photo but with rounded wing tips, it has a crown on top.

Last edited by tr6r; 08-02-2016 at 04:08 PM.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Spanish
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Are you sure?

Sorry to question you LOL Google proves you correct
    Last edited by tr6r; 08-02-2016 at 06:05 PM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tr6r View Post
    Are you sure?

I'm not. I'm looking through my books to see if I can find it. So far no luck seeing that sort of shape associated with Spain. It looks familiar but due to the poor quality of the image my memory can't quite recall what it is.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Got it. Spanish Air Force probably on a model 1943 rifle.

Now that I have an Idea where to look... it seems to be a M1943 short rifle with air force markings

You guys are the best!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tr6r View Post
    Are you sure?

Unlike many posters who post out of their asses (not necessarily wrong, but they tend to fuck with you .... a lot! ) hahahahaha

Richard Simmons is usually correct. I'd take HIS assessment over a lot of people's on faith alone.

But of course, trust but verify

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    Unlike many posters who post out of their asses (not necessarily wrong, but they tend to fuck with you .... a lot! ) hahahahaha

Richard Simmons is usually correct. I'd take HIS assessment over a lot of people's on faith alone.

But of course, trust but verify
    Thank you for the endorsement TM. I always try to be as helpful and as accurate as possible. Unfortunately all I had access to when I replied was my little Samsung ipad thingy with the cracked screen. I have to keep turning it end for end when I type to find a spot that will work otherwise I would have added that the mark is used on 1943 Air Force rifles as Schuetzenman noted in his post.

My reference in this case is the Handbook of Military Rifle Markings, 1866-1950, third edition by Richard A. Hoffman and Noel P. Schottut. It was printed in 2002 and I don't know if there are any newer editions but this one has come in handy quite a few times. If anyone else has some markings they are looking to address please post or send me a PM.

In addition to markings this publication has numerical conversions for Kanji-Chinese, Thai, Farsi, Arabic and Nepali. Also a calendar conversion for Moslem, Buddhist and Japanese dates. It also has info on Serbian, Slovak Republic, South African, Salvadorian, Orange Free State, Papal and Belgian Congo. Granted the info in some sections is sparse but it's hard to find anything on some of these countries so it does come in handy
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Thank you for the endorsement TM. I always try to be as helpful and as accurate as possible. Unfortunately all I had access to when I replied was my little Samsung ipad thingy with the cracked screen. I have to keep turning it end for end when I type to find a spot that will work otherwise I would have added that the mark is used on 1943 Air Force rifles as Schuetzenman noted in his post.

My reference in this case is the Handbook of Military Rifle Markings, 1866-1950, third edition by Richard A. Hoffman and Noel P. Schottut. It was printed in 2002 and I don't know if there are any newer editions but this one has come in handy quite a few times. If anyone else has some markings they are looking to address please post or send me a PM.

In addition to markings this publication has numerical conversions for Kanji-Chinese, Thai, Farsi, Arabic and Nepali. Also a calendar conversion for Moslem, Buddhist and Japanese dates. It also has info on Serbian, Slovak Republic, South African, Salvadorian, Orange Free State, Papal and Belgian Congo. Granted the info in some sections is sparse but it's hard to find anything on some of these countries so it does come in handy
    Amazing what you were able to come up with only having those lousy pictures and description that I gave

Unlike many posters who post out of their asses

Please point us in their direction .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!