Thread: Question on the Metal Piece at the Back of the Lower Wood Handguard?

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Question Question on the Metal Piece at the Back of the Lower Wood Handguard?

I am seeing Russian and Polish and I think Egyptian Lower Laminated Wood AKM Handguards WITHOUT The Metal end Piece on the Back of the Lower Handguard. Knowing that the Chinese used them, I am wondering why are they not on the back of some Laminated AKM Wood Lowers? Did all Soviet Block AKM's drop the Metal Back Piece on the Lowers? Did only the Chinese and East Germans keep it? Refering to AKM Wood Lowers only!
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

all my egyptians had it.

IMHO. usually a part that got tossed cause how tight fitting some of the lowers were.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Thanks, I have been looking at Photos of AKMs with Wood Handguards, in all my AK Books and online, Most I have looked at, that had Laminated AKM Wood did not have it. I am wondering if most Countries dropped the Metal End Piece, when they came out with the AKM Handguard?
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021