Thread: A taste of what it would be like in SHTF or just an ammo ban...

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

A taste of what it would be like in SHTF or just an ammo ban...

Was over visiting with a buddy the other day. He asked me where he could get .22LR as he couldn't find any locally. I told him I would bring him a box (Win 333). He said "no I just want to know where to get them" - I said you can get em at Bass Pro but they'll be $40 a bulk box or more. I told him I'd bring the Win to him next time we get together and to be quiet lol. I told him that I bought extra back when they were $10 a box and no biggy.

So he invites me over for dinner yesterday and I bring the ammo. It was just so weird. He was very happy to have it and said "this will last me long time" and it just felt strange making such a do over some .22LR ammo. He has a squirrel problem and really needed some.

A small taste of what it would be like if there were a total shortage in hard times or a ban of some sort.... not a good feeling...

I know this has been said many many times on this board before but guys if you haven't stocked up yet - don't wait any longer. It takes practically nothing and people make a run on ammo and buy in quantity and the prices go sky high (er).

There are deals out there right now. Not like 5 years ago but there are deals. http://www.ammoseek.com
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

I understand. Back when it was even worse, I was buying some BBs and wondered if I needed to buy all of the ones available.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    I understand. Back when it was even worse, I was buying some BBs and wondered if I needed to buy all of the ones available.
    All the ammo sold here in Canada, aside from shotgun shells is made in the USA. It is by no means rare. All the prices went up here about 10% over the last couple years. but there is plenty of everything. This issue you are seeing is from people hoarding. Which should be the real concern.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    All the ammo sold here in Canada, aside from shotgun shells is made in the USA. It is by no means rare. All the prices went up here about 10% over the last couple years. but there is plenty of everything. This issue you are seeing is from people hoarding. Which should be the real concern.

I don't know why they don't raise the price on it until demand and supply reach their new equilibrium. Economists it called price rationing for a reason.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I kinda have it pictured more like bare shelves and rampant criminality.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Ammo shelves here are pretty full. I am not hurting for .22. Probably have enough to last my lifetime. I still buy a box or two of anything when I can. I do know those that are hurting. Recently I picked up some of the new copper .22. The counter guys at wall mart told me that in 2017 all lead ammo is going to be banned. I kind of chuckled at that. I don't shoot nearly as much as I do, but, I still have plenty.

The last time that my son and I went out. I took some pictures, and showed them to a few guys at work. We went through like a 100 rounds of .308, .357, .38, 300 of .22, a couple of hundred rounds of .223 and 7.62x39, and some of my co workers couldn't believe that I shot that much in one day.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Funny you mention co workers surprised at how much you and your son shot in one day. Back in the days of $80 for a case of 7.62x39, $100 per case for Sellier and Bellot 9mm and $160 case for their 5.56x45, plus .22 for under $10 a brick of good stuff, my daughter and I would routinely go through a thousand rounds each of the 7.62x39, 5.56 and 9mm plus at least one brick of .22 in a single session.

Now with her on her own and the price of everything in the completely outrageous range, this past year I might have gone through 300 rounds of 9mm just maintaining my proficiency, 200 rounds of 5.56 breaking in and enjoying my new Beretta ARX-100, and zero .22LR. Makes me sad that I don't shoot as much, but when I see what replacement cost is, it makes me sick knowing that it is good old supply and demand causing the crazy high prices.

After all, why ramp up production to keep the price down when you can keep production at current levels and double your profits, and all the new people in the hobby and the tin foil crowd just scoop it up as fast as they can.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Yeah, I really do believe that the "shortages" where they exist are due to people hoarding. I can't blame them though... there's plenty to cause concern.

Plus, I've stocked up myself - albeit slowly when the prices were reasonable. So I can't really get down on folks wanting to secure a supply.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~