Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drinking and Home Defense

Hey! RJ! Long time no see!
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Keep some cocaine next to your bed. It will sober you right up.

Better yet, a glass of milk laced with synthemesc, or my personal favorite, Drencrome, will sharpen you right up.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    This topic has crossed my mind lately.

On weekends I like to have a few beers, ok sometimes more than a few. I know a lot of us enjoy a drink on occasion.

So say you drink some beers/ have a few glasses of your favorite drink on a Friday night. By bed time you are a bit tipsy. An hour later you hear a noise and out of instinct grab the shotgun and go check it out. If its a burglar, what do you?

My thought is if you are put in a life or death situation you are kinda f*cked. If you don't take the shot then you are a dead man. If you do take the shot the cops are going to show up, and if they smell alcohol on your breath they are probably going to put it in the report and even worse if they give you a breathilizer your BAC is going to be in the report. I think the burglar's family is going to have a field day at your expense. Of if you happen to live in a state which has a hardon against people defending their homes the DA is going to go after you.

Am I the only one who has thought of this? What do you guys think?

Obviously the easy answer is don't drink, or at most have one or two beers.

All jokes aside no firearms when I am drinking..If someone came here to start trouble while I am drinking it will not end well ...with out the use of guns .
    Last edited by abpt1; 07-20-2010 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo GED View Post
    Drencrome, will sharpen you right up.
    Ah yes. Adrenochrome, direct from the Korova Milk Bar (Hunter S. Thompson approved).

Btw I have only had like 12-15 beers in the last three month's . No liqueur since November !

Quote Originally Posted by abpt1 View Post
    Btw I have only had like 12-15 beers in the last three month's . No liqueur since November !
    Yeah, sobriety is a wonderful thing. I'm an old guy and used to drink waaaayyyy too much. The Doc said I have to leave it alone now. I schedule one drunk a year (lasts for a close to a week) at a particular reunion.

But when I take the Missus out I always remember the old saying, "candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker"...

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Sounds like the perfect excuse not to get that next beer...

:cheers:
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Yeah, sobriety is a wonderful thing. I'm an old guy and used to drink waaaayyyy too much. The Doc said I have to leave it alone now. I schedule one drunk a year (lasts for a close to a week) at a particular reunion.

But when I take the Missus out I always remember the old saying, "candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker"...
    yeah getting smashed is not really fun anymore anyway it hurts for days now ......
    My one drunk a year is one night and one night only... but it cost me way too much this year So no more of that..

a beer buzz now and then will do .
    Last edited by abpt1; 07-20-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Uh......do breathalyzers register excessive milk and Oreo intake? Hope not!!

I quit drinking alcohol 15 yrs ago.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    This topic has crossed my mind lately.

On weekends I like to have a few beers, ok sometimes more than a few. I know a lot of us enjoy a drink on occasion.

So say you drink some beers/ have a few glasses of your favorite drink on a Friday night. By bed time you are a bit tipsy. An hour later you hear a noise and out of instinct grab the shotgun and go check it out. If its a burglar, what do you?

My thought is if you are put in a life or death situation you are kinda f*cked. If you don't take the shot then you are a dead man. If you do take the shot the cops are going to show up, and if they smell alcohol on your breath they are probably going to put it in the report and even worse if they give you a breathilizer your BAC is going to be in the report. I think the burglar's family is going to have a field day at your expense. Of if you happen to live in a state which has a hardon against people defending their homes the DA is going to go after you.

Am I the only one who has thought of this? What do you guys think?

Obviously the easy answer is don't drink, or at most have one or two beers.
    Ummm, why did you go outside again?

I think the smarter thing to do would be to take up a defensive position in your home. Then I'd call the cops and have them "check out the noise." It's their job and will save you a lot of future greif. OTOH, if the a-hole breaches you domicile, you should be prepared to defend yourself at that time. And the best way is to ambush the asshole. Think about it. You know every nook and cranny of your home. You should be able to easily choose a spot from which to insure the threat is stopped, so to speak. 12 gauges are perfect for this type of work.

I personally don't get so drunk as to fuck up with firearms. Of course, there was a time in my youth.......

Rage

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    Ummm, why did you go outside again?

I think the smarter thing to do would be to take up a defensive position in your home. Then I'd call the cops and have them "check out the noise." It's their job and will save you a lot of future greif. OTOH, if the a-hole breaches you domicile, you should be prepared to defend yourself at that time. And the best way is to ambush the asshole. Think about it. You know every nook and cranny of your home. You should be able to easily choose a spot from which to insure the threat is stopped, so to speak. 12 gauges are perfect for this type of work.

I personally don't get so drunk as to fuck up with firearms. Of course, there was a time in my youth.......

Rage
    I wouldn't go outside in this state as that's bad ju ju. But I would clear the house and check the garage.

Last time I checked it was legal to drink alcohol in your own fucking home. Whats NOT legal is to break in to said home without permission for the purpose of committing a felony therein. If you are in a tavern and carrying...may be a different spin on things.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

swampdragon
    Believe it or not, even in these days, we still have cattle and horse rustlers in this area.
    Coyotes packs too.
    I go outside sometimes too.
    And when I do, drinkin' or not, I take my AK with a tac light.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    Believe it or not, even in these days, we still have cattle and horse rustlers in this area.
    Coyotes packs too.
    I go outside sometimes too.
    And when I do, drinkin' or not, I take my AK with a tac light.
    Really like to steal a cow ? WTF is that shit ....lucky your not in the getto you could come out to a jacked up shoeless horse lol j/k

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    "What officer?" "Yes, I did need something to calm my nerves after the incident, why do you ask?

But actually answere is "I'm sorry officer, my nerves are so shot. I'm just too upset to speak right now" And you REMAIN so untill you lawyer shows up. You did call your lawyer right? You do have his/her emergancy number right?
    Hhmm, considering that I have never needed to have a shyster "on call", - - - -.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Senior Member sniper_n_training's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    Best advice.Shut the hell up and let your lawyer do the talking.
    This

swampdragon
    Really like to steal a cow ? WTF is that shit ....lucky your not in the getto you could come out to a jacked up shoeless horse lol j/k
    I'm serious man. For real!
    Cattle and horses are BIG business in these parts.
    In just cattle alone...where do you think all them steaks and burgers come from for you city folks?
    Rustlers have just gone higher tech these days.
    They have NOT disappeared.
    Last edited by swampdragon; 07-22-2010 at 03:01 AM.

In just cattle alone...where do you think all them steaks and burgers come from for you city folks?
    No shit I always wondered where the guys selling steaks out of the back of the truck got the meat ...? No I never bought any just FYI .

No shit I always wondered where the guys selling steaks out of the back of the truck got the meat ...? No I never bought any just FYI .
    Long Pork?

Yes, it is big business in flyover country. Did you ever think about turnin' your dogs out on "the noise?" Traditionally, a man was allowed to defend his "property." The more property, the more to defend, the more right to carry a weapon while checking out a "noise" outside of the house, especially shotguns and high powered rifles and such. There's always been leeway granted with real property.

However, in most big cities and even most suburbs, you're better off callin' the cops. If you live in BFE America, that's something different.

Still, I like to go on the defense, look, listen, and above all else think, send in the dogs, and then attack from a flank.

Rage
    Last edited by American Rage; 07-22-2010 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Because I like to fucking edit!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast