Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drinking and Home Defense

Drinking and Home Defense

This topic has crossed my mind lately.

On weekends I like to have a few beers, ok sometimes more than a few. I know a lot of us enjoy a drink on occasion.

So say you drink some beers/ have a few glasses of your favorite drink on a Friday night. By bed time you are a bit tipsy. An hour later you hear a noise and out of instinct grab the shotgun and go check it out. If its a burglar, what do you?

My thought is if you are put in a life or death situation you are kinda f*cked. If you don't take the shot then you are a dead man. If you do take the shot the cops are going to show up, and if they smell alcohol on your breath they are probably going to put it in the report and even worse if they give you a breathilizer your BAC is going to be in the report. I think the burglar's family is going to have a field day at your expense. Of if you happen to live in a state which has a hardon against people defending their homes the DA is going to go after you.

Am I the only one who has thought of this? What do you guys think?

Obviously the easy answer is don't drink, or at most have one or two beers.

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

...thus another reason I don't drink.

My belief is a clean shot is a clean shot, a bad shot will always be a bad shot.

That's not something that I would concern myself with. A good shoot is a good shoot no matter what your condition. Now if it's not a good shoot or someone besides the bad guy gets hurt, now you're f'ed. Consider the alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Shooter View Post
    I don't think I've ever shot a a gun without pounding a few cold ones first.
    Attitudes change quick when dicks are involved and faces are pushed into pillows.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Second that!

"What officer?" "Yes, I did need something to calm my nerves after the incident, why do you ask?

But actually answere is "I'm sorry officer, my nerves are so shot. I'm just too upset to speak right now" And you REMAIN so untill you lawyer shows up. You did call your lawyer right? You do have his/her emergancy number right?
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    "What officer?" "Yes, I did need something to calm my nerves after the incident, why do you ask?

But actually answere is "I'm sorry officer, my nerves are so shot. I'm just too upset to speak right now" And you REMAIN so untill you lawyer shows up. You did call your lawyer right? You do have his/her emergancy number right?
    Best advice.Shut the hell up and let your lawyer do the talking.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

I turn on my motion sensor Aliens Mini-guns while I drink. I let them do all the work.

Quote Originally Posted by remy1492 View Post
    I turn on my motion sensor Aliens Mini-guns while I drink. I let them do all the work.
    Hey Remy. Great to see you made it!!!
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

+1000

Another non drinker here as well.

i don't drink anymore but if i did this situation would not be a legal problem in my state of Missouri.

the Castle Doctrine revisions Gov. Nixon just signed into law removes the violation of possession of a firearm while intoxicated if the reason is for self defense.

571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:

(5) [Possesses or discharges a firearm or projectile weapon while intoxicated] Has a firearm or projectile weapon readily capable of lethal use on his or her person, while he or she is intoxicated, and handles or otherwise uses such firearm or projectile weapon in either a negligent or unlawful manner or discharges such firearm or projectile weapon unless acting in self-defense;
    http://www.house.mo.gov/billtracking...ly/HB1692T.HTM

out on the streets it might be difficult to prove self defense, but in my own home in the middle of the night i believe i would be good to go......if i was drunk that is.
    I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

swampdragon
    Hell man, I'm drinkin' right NOW....and we are only "talking" about shooting a bad guy.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Broondog View Post
    i don't drink anymore but if i did this situation would not be a legal problem in my state of Missouri.

the Castle Doctrine revisions Gov. Nixon just signed into law removes the violation of possession of a firearm while intoxicated if the reason is for self defense.

http://www.house.mo.gov/billtracking...ly/HB1692T.HTM

out on the streets it might be difficult to prove self defense, but in my own home in the middle of the night i believe i would be good to go......if i was drunk that is.
    Yep, if the bad guy is on your property you should be okay, but just to be safe you'd best lawyer up after the event.

The saying goes: "I rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6."

The first 2 Miranda warnings:
    You have the right to remain silent. <<<<< means shut the hell up
    Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. <<<<<< this will happen when you don't shut up.

What would it mean to me.....
    Shoot first
    Call 911
    Call lawyer.
    Check for injuries(if you were shot at or attacked)
    Have seat.
    Cops show up, give small statement and let lawyer do rest.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Should you need to use lethal force to stop the wrongful and felonious actions of another to keep yourself or some other innocent from being killed or permanently maimed because you believe that person is capable and intends to do so;

Call 911 and request assistance (be brief, do not describe the shooting, describe yourself and your location in the home) and hang up.

Call the attorney you have on retainer (should be the same one used by law enforcement in your area should they need private representation for the use of their side arms in the line of duty).

Have a short drink (you will tell your attorney you had a shot to steady your nerves after the shooting, but do not deny having a drink earlier).

Politely inform the police that you require your attorney to be present before you can say anything else.

Then shut up! And remember, "It is better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6".

At least this is my opinion.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot....

I would also have a chew. That would be 3 for 3; alcohol, tobacco, and firearms.

(When I was a kid I wanted to work for ATF. Man, I was reeeeealy disappointed when I found out what these people did for a living.)

Here in Georgia we have "castle doctrine"... if an intruder is in your home at night, you've got every right to shoot them... my only concern about drinking would be sleeping too deeply and waking up to a noise/bump in the night... and one more concern, would you be more inclined to shoot a silohuette in the dark? Sober or not, you'd better know your target... you wouldn't want to shoot a family member.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post
    Here in Georgia we have "castle doctrine"... if an intruder is in your home at night, you've got every right to shoot them... my only concern about drinking would be sleeping too deeply and waking up to a noise/bump in the night... and one more concern, would you be more inclined to shoot a silohuette in the dark? Sober or not, you'd better know your target... you wouldn't want to shoot a family member.
    ...includes immunity from civil prosecution. http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2...text/sb396.htm

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast