Thread: Couldn't have happened to a nicer POS (Couric slapped with lawsuit over Gun Doc edits)

Couldn't have happened to a nicer POS (Couric slapped with lawsuit over Gun Doc edits)

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ary-edits.html

Katie Couric and "Under the Gun" director Stephanie Soechtig are facing a $12 million defamation lawsuit for their roles in allegedly "misleading" edits made in their 2016 documentary.

Virginians Citizens Defense League (VCDL) is taking Couric and her director to court for edits they say made VCDL members appear stumped by Couric's gun control questions, when in fact they were not.

"Katie Couric has publicly admitted that the film, which was presented to VCDL as a 'documentary,' was misleading and misrepresented VCDL," Phillip Van Cleave, President of the VCDL, tod FOXNews.com. "However, Couric and the other filmmakers have refused to fix the film or to even stop promoting and distributing it. The only way to hold Couric accountable was to file a lawsuit."

A clip in the film appears to show nine seconds of silence after Couric asks them, "If there are no background checks for gun purchasers, how do you prevent felons or terrorists from purchasing a gun?"

Audio released to the Washington Free Beacon in May reveals members immediately answering a similar question posed by Couric, with no delay.

Director Stephanie Soechtig told The Washington Post the pause was added so viewers could consider the question. Couric initially said she supports the statement and is "very proud of the film." Couric later said she regrets not raising her initial concerns.

"VCDL members have a right for their answers to be shared and so we have posted a transcript of their responses here. I regret that those eight seconds were misleading and that I did not raise my initial concerns more vigorously," she said in a statement in May.

The VCDL suit claims Couric and Soechtig "knowingly and maliciously manufactured the fictional exchange by splicing in footage that the filmmakers took surreptitiously after telling the interviewees to be silent for ten seconds so that recording equipment could be calibrated."

chainsawed in half would have been more fitting.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Good for the VCDL. I just wish politicians/judges/and other public officials could be held accountable, also. Well placed lawsuits would, if nothing else, make them think a little more about what they say and do, while, supposedly, serving the public, instead of promoting their own personal anti-constitutional agendas.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Katie Couric defamation lawsuit dismissed

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ie-couric.html

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

yep fake news marches on.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    Katie Couric defamation lawsuit dismissed

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ie-couric.html

Steve

Any justice is going to have to be gotten at the end of a bayonet.
    Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey

All the more reason to avoid anything and everything with which Couric is associated.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”