Thread: Soooo, the VA doesn't cover dental? And other adventures...

Soooo, the VA doesn't cover dental? And other adventures...

That's what the clinic in Ft Worth told me. Unless the dental work is service connected OR you're 100% disabled.

Hell, I just wanted to get a check up and cleaning...

That was the topper after trying to maximize their time and mine by having the Doc check my foot, get a dental check up and get my eyes examined. All are in the same building and I was trying to get them on the same day if possible.

Dental won't see me at all since it's not service connected and at 30% I don't qualify anyway.

Vision won't see me unless I have a referral from my primary Doc and actually laughed at me when I asked about the possibility of a same day appointment.

Despite the stated policy of a patient getting an appointment within 30 days for non-emergency visits, I'm having to wait 5 weeks.

Speaking of 30% disability, the online registration paperwork I filled out specifically states that at 30% I do not have to give my financial info for co pay purposes. The lady that took my paperwork during my "vesting appointment" (that visit was a real cluster) tried to tell me otherwise until I pointed it out and she concurred yet they won't issue a VA card since the computer keeps telling them I need to give them that info.

I'm sure glad I'm not having to depend on the VA as my only source of medical care....
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

swampdragon
    I discovered the same thing when I started having this tooth problem.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Well thats not good to know.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Once the wife and me got vested it has became the best health care we have ever had. Prescriptions free and mailed to our house.

Blood test earlier this year showed I had prostate cancer. In this area the VA has a deal with one of the top cancer institutes in the nation and I'm now being taken care of for the next five years by one of the top experts in my state. No cost to me.

Sure there are some hangups but I had that when I was paying $1000 a month to Blue Cross and they didn't cover shit.

It's great here.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by tonda View Post
    Once the wife and me got vested it has became the best health care we have ever had. Prescriptions free and mailed to our house.

Blood test earlier this year showed I had prostate cancer. In this area the VA has a deal with one of the top cancer institutes in the nation and I'm now being taken care of for the next five years by one of the top experts in my state. No cost to me.

Sure there are some hangups but I had that when I was paying $1000 a month to Blue Cross and they didn't cover shit.

It's great here.
    Holy crap man!
    You have cancer now?
    Truly, I'm sorry to hear this.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Sorry to hear that also. I'm getting that same test to be sure I don't.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tonda View Post

It's great here.
    I had follicular non-Hodgkin s lymphoma........late Stage 4 (there is no stage 5) when I went to the Oklahoma City VA. They saved my life.* Previous doctor was treating me for a BAD BACK. Yeah my back did hurt cause I had almost a gallon of fluid in my left lung.

Wart

*Don't tell weevil cause he'll be pissed !!!

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Here in OKC a service connected disability OR an active infection for dental.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys all of us here are former military. That means we know how to go around to get around. All gotta have at least a little scrounger in us.

Two words to remember: NURSE PRACTITIONER.....the Sgt Majors of the hospital world. Get friendly with a couple......or more. Another thing, rules and regulations are only minor impediments placed to keep out those not determined from passing.

Wart

As a dentist, I have a couple patients who are veterans with dental problems related to military service or a disability. One guy went through the window of a jeep and knocked all of his front teeth out, and another just had bad teeth but has 100% disability for injuries during vietnam.

Here's a couple problems...

1) Good luck finding a private practice dentist who will deal with the VA, filling out all the paperwork, filing, etc is a big PITA for me. Most dentists won't take the time to do it, so the patient can't get treated by that dentist. I take the time simply out of respect as I too have served. But honestly, then again, I only have a few patients with coverage from the VA. If I had a few hundred, I'd probably not bother with the VA too.

2) Once a treatment plan has been made, that plan has to go to the VA for approval... its weird, I sent a treatment plan for the guy with the jeep accident for dental implants ($1100/crown and that didn't include the surgeon's fee for the implant placement) and for scaling/root planing to treat his periodontal disease ($1200)....

The VA approved the implants (6), but denied the periodontal disease... so the guy goes to the surgeon who submitted the paperwork for the surgical procedures, the VA disapproved ($18,000 surg. fees), then rejected my crowns but then approved the periodontal scaling/root planing to clean his teeth. Then I had to submit for a removeable partial denture ($1500) and they paid for that.

If they disapproved perio tx. before, then approved it after... was it a consolation prize? If it wasn't necessary before (in their judgement), then why now?

I HATE dealing with the VA.

Here's another thought too... if you've got a retired ID card as a veteran. Did you know that you have the right to go to the nearest military dental clinic, whether its a Navy Station, Army Fort, Marine Camp, or Air Force station?

As a veteran, you have the right to sit in the waiting room on "stand by", that if someone doesn't show up, they have to take you as a patient.... you might sit there all morning, but we always tried to work in the vets that showed up.

Good luck.

gotta take care of our vets!