Thread: Zastava PAP M70 problem

Zastava PAP M70 problem

Hello everyone!

I have a zastava pap m70 that refused to accept polymer mags such as pmags. Metal magazines worked fine but when pmags were inserted, the bolt carrier was hard to charge and would get stuck about an inch away from fully closing. Upon some investigation, I found that the bottom right of the bolt carrier, where the actual bolt sits, was rubbing on the top right of the magazine lip. I was able to dreamel down that part of the carrier so that it now just passes the mag lips and no longer gets stuck. My question is was this safe to do and will it damage the bolt carrrier over time? The metal is now sort of thin on that side. Not super thin but thinner than it was. Though the part dremmeled only holds the bolt and does not see much wear, I am afraid it might wear too much. Any thoughts?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    While I doubt it will hurt much in the long run, I personally would never modify a firearm to fit one mag when all the others work fine. What appears to be not a problem in removing some material might actually show up later in life when you find out that metal was there for a purpose.

Again personally I would have tried to modify the offending mag, or just stick with the mags that work.

Once again just my two cents, I have played with AK variants for a long time, and as hard as it is to believe, other than the factory plastic mags for the AK-74 I have never used a non-factory mag in any of them. The metal "surplus" mags work nicely and I have never had a problem with a mag that couldn't be fixed by working on that specific mag.

it's polymer , it will need fitted to your gun. I dont care what any manufacturer says.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Problem is it didn't even like some metal mags. My 2 other ak's use both polymer and metal mags no problem. It was definitely the gun and not the mags.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Have to agree that there are times the firearm is the problem and it needs to be addressed, but I have never heard of having to modify a bolt carrier. That would tell me there is something wrong with either the rails or the receiver itself. Again, my 2 cents would be to contact the company you purchased it from, but that should have been before any modifications.

If you have it working properly, enjoy it and just keep an eye on the carrier to make sure nothing changes.

I have a zastava pap m70 that refused to accept polymer mags such as pmags. Metal magazines worked fine but when pmags were inserted,

? You didn't say that. what Nut said. Have you hand cycled the bolt through to see if you could see the problem. Did you think about the rails?
    Last edited by l921428x; 09-27-2016 at 05:43 PM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!!!!! YOU DIDN"T DO THAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!?????

Means nothing. Enjoy the rifle.

Yes I hand cycled it and it would always get stuck. It worked with most metal mags but one or two gave me trouble. All pmags didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!!!!! YOU DIDN"T DO THAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!?????

Means nothing. Enjoy the rifle.

You almost gave me a heart attack ��

Forum Administrator

Uh Frank......never ever modify the mechanics of a factory built rifle to favor any aftermarket anything. EVER. The mags are not at fault either as they were probably sized for another rifle being that the mold would probably fit all the other rifles is probably what they were thinking and there in-lies the problem that many have found. Next time post here and we can help you in depth. Next time your purchasing if not online, have your unloaded rifle in the trunk so you can check fitment etc. Just an FYI.

Whut happened?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Without pictures, it's hard to say whether you weakened the carrier. Watch the wear on the carrier every time you fire it, and if nothing changes, your probably ok. The way you describe it, the plastic magazine's locking lugs may have needed to be filed slightly (if the rifle is right). Even steel mags can be out of specs, and need a little filing.