Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Purchased a new Truck ...

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    Oh hell NO! No lift kits on my trucks ever.

Added something!

Running boards to help the wife unit get up in it. The old Tundra had them, never used them myself except to get to the roof when washing it.

Quote Originally Posted by sevlex View Post
    Very nice.

I have a 2007 Taco - same color same layout (4dr, long box).

The mods I added were a Bak-Flip tonneau w/ tailgate lock, also popped out the power port relay on the fuse panel and replaced it with a jumper. That allows me to charge my phones/accessories with the ignition off since the ports are now always hot. It turns out there was an unpublicised service bulletin about the suspension. It allowed me to upgrade to the TRD suspension for free!

Did your truck come with a mp3 jack? That would be real handy.
    What model of Back-Flip? I am looking at the G2 and the FiberMax. Also about how much did you pay for it?

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

It was 9 years ago, so it's probably changed a lot. Mine has ABS/foam sandwich panels.

I would say the FiberMax is closer to what I have. The fiberglass will most likely be a lot stronger with respect to hail and other impacts.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    No actually that is an automatic transmission and the truck is 2 wheel drive, not a 4x4. It does have the ability to shift over to an S setting where you tap it like a flappy paddle gear shift system. These are 6 speed automatics I think, still learning the truck's stats. This allows you to choose your gears instead of the transmission.
    Oh, ok. My wife's Taurus has that. Put the selector in S then shift through the gears. It's kind of a neat feature. My new F150 has something similar. You put it in M and on the end of the gear selector on the column it has a +\- button so you can up and down shift manually but it's more for towing applications than performance
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by sevlex View Post
    It was 9 years ago, so it's probably changed a lot. Mine has ABS/foam sandwich panels.

I would say the FiberMax is closer to what I have. The fiberglass will most likely be a lot stronger with respect to hail and other impacts.
    Yep, they actually say that (built to withstand Hail) in the video on Tonneau World's web site. Which BTW I just placed an order for the FiberMax. I'd been looking at it and others since Saturday night when I drove the truck home. It seems to offer the best balance of features and durability with price. Speaking of price they have Cyber Monday deals on all their covers today. I just got the Fibermax shipped for $789.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Oh, ok. My wife's Taurus has that. Put the selector in S then shift through the gears. It's kind of a neat feature. My new F150 has something similar. You put it in M and on the end of the gear selector on the column it has a +\- button so you can up and down shift manually but it's more for towing applications than performance
    Yep, the towing aspect is I think why they do that.

I like it a lot! Congratulations on the new truck.

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    I like it a lot! Congratulations on the new truck.
    Thanks Paul!

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

Nice truck Shuetz.
    I have a 04 Tacoma Limited double cab 4x4 TRD that I bought 2 years ago with 87k on the clock. The limited edition has every option available including the super rare factory installed.....roof rack. I added a supercharger and a plate bumper. I absolutely love my truck. Little Tacoma's own the road in the winter time and outlive there owners.

Nice looking truck with lots of new "toys" inside. Good luck on keeping them functioning (and not driving you crazy!), esp. that B/U camera.
    Like you, I tended to hang on to my trucks. My 1982 Toyota 4WD longbed with the 22R engine finally threw a rod in 1998, killing it. It had a cracked block for about 6 years that I patched with JB Weld, and the floorboards behind BOTH front wheels developed fist-sized holes. I don't know exactly how many miles it had because for half its life, I had 31-10.50/15 tires on it and, when paced by another car at 65 mph, its odometer was reading 57 mph. It still read over 185,xxx but may have been closer to 200K.
    My '97 GMC Sonoma didn't fare as well. At ~125K, the driveshaft's center bearing U-joint was going out AGAIN for the 2nd time in 30,000 miles. It got traded in 2011 for a Hyundai Elantra.
    Oh, I still have a truck, an '08 Ford Ranger. Despite having a 4 L V6 compared to the Sonoma's 4.3 L V6, the Ranger's best MPG is about 14-15 during those times of the year when I don't need the A/C. Otherwise, it drops to 12-13. The Sonoma used to get 16-17 WITH the A/C and 18-20 without. All this was mostly highway driving too.
    That Sonoma was a damn comfortable ride though (sighs).
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

My first Toyota was a long bed SR5 with the 22R motor. Got it in August 1981, kept it 10 years, it had 110,000 miles when I sold it. Next one was a 2 year old 1989 model SR5 with the v-6 motor and long bed, no extra cab though. The Tundra that was replaced by this Tacoma I picked up new on Dec. 20, 2000. I installed those running boards this afternoon. Laying under it, I can say it isn't built like that 2000 Tundra, not nearly as beefy looking under there.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    My first Toyota was a long bed SR5 with the 22R motor. Got it in August 1981, kept it 10 years, it had 110,000 miles when I sold it. Next one was a 2 year old 1989 model SR5 with the v-6 motor and long bed, no extra cab though. The Tundra that was replaced by this Tacoma I picked up new on Dec. 20, 2000. I installed those running boards this afternoon. Laying under it, I can say it isn't built like that 2000 Tundra, not nearly as beefy looking under there.
    They have to shave weight somewhere to increase the gas mileage, don't they?
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Great choice, congratulations!
    SAme engine as in our Sienna.

That is one bad ass truck. Good buy!
    -=Alex=-
    Please send me a message of ANY and ALL server / forum / site related issues that need to be addressed. This does not include personal problems with users or moderators. Dont ask me for help on posting a picture, video or whatever in a thread. Ask someone else. I'm busy.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Good lookin Toyo. But whatcha gonna do when the "Buy American" craze starts back up?

I'm in same boat with my Subaru Forester. Its a great little suv.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Good lookin Toyo. But whatcha gonna do when the "Buy American" craze starts back up?

I'm in same boat with my Subaru Forester. Its a great little suv.
    It was built in the USA by US labor, only the parent company is not American. They have plants in KY and IN.

An UPdate; just finished installing the Blacflip brand FiberMax hard Tonneau cover. No photos yet will try to shoot some tomorrow and post. It looks really sharp.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 12-03-2016 at 07:06 PM.

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

Nice.

I bitch about the option in that truck that I don't like, but if I had the $$ that is what I'd be buying.
    My 2002 has over 250K on the odo and besides a coolant leak that no one can seem to find the only real problem is the hole in the rear end.

I have loved the Toyota trucks since I was in high school and have had one since 2000. My first one "qualified" for the buy back program.

BISHOP

Nice looking truck. I know a guy that put close to 400,000 miles on a manual transmission Toyota truck. It means something that Toyota trucks are what people drive in harsh environments such as Afghanistan. They have got to be good trucks. It was a good move buying one. I made the mistake of buying a Ford Ranger. A transmission cooling line blew out at 63,000 miles and instantly fried the transmission. Ironically this happened right in front of a Ford Dealership and I was able to coast up the service bay.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast