Thread: Any woodworking dudes here?

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Any woodworking dudes here?

I have built some Adirondack chairs using treated wood from Lowes. I would like to stain them rather than use paint if I can help it. This would avoid the peeling later. They will be outdoors. The colors Mrs Altarboy has requested are an aqua blue or a kind of mint/sage. Can I stain them and get good penetration and coloring? Any advice?

it's possible , runs about $40 per gallon .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Well that would stain several chairs, so that's not bad considering I won't have to scrape it later in order to redo.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

staining is just a colorant, it does nothing to protect the wood.

idk if things have changed with new "safe" chemicals, but back in the day i was always told that treated lumber needed to set out for a year for all of the chemicals to leech out of the surface before doing anything with any kinds of stain or water sealer on them.

Some of the wood is heavy with moisture.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I have experience via gun stock making, not so much on furniture. I have a question, did you use the old green looking pressure treated or did you use the Yellow Wood stuff? As pointed out stain will not weather proof your chairs. You'll need an outdoor urethane with UV blocking built into it is my opinion. I have messed with sealing and water proofing outdoor patio furniture made of the Yellow Wood product. I just didn't build the furniture.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 12-19-2016 at 07:54 PM.

Clear stain will last one season in the sun just like a wood deck. It might look blotchy as well on treated wood. Paint will last longer than one season. I have a ceder deck and it is a pain. Learned after one season that clear is not the way to go. The stain needs more solids to last longer. Epoxy with exterior varnish is the way I would go.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Pressure treated lumber doesn't take stain or paint or any sealant well. I suggest getting a small can of stain and testing it on some scrap wood before you possibly ruin your chairs...

The chemicals forced into the wood will continually leach out and cause havoc to the sealant.

Further, I suggest finding or making some pads to tie onto the chairs so you're not sitting on the wood directly.

Hate to say this, but you would've been better off using regular wood to make your chairs...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

i have some barn posts made of treated lumber. i was told to wait at least 6 months before trying to paint them. it was more like 36, but i finally started this fall. they face east so they get the morning sun. try weathering through the winter. then as o.s.o.k. said sit on some pads for a while. check them out in june or july.

If you've ever read the warnings on these, don't have direct contact with skin or any food items on that because it contains some heavy metals like arsenic, alkaline. Not good to make furniture out of pressure treated wood.

BISHOP
    Last edited by BISHOP; 12-19-2016 at 08:48 PM.

Dammit, I hate when people tell me things I don't want to hear. So, if I leave these in my shop for three months, they should maybe be ok to paint. Also, we plan to use cushions.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    Dammit, I hate when people tell me things I don't want to hear. So, if I leave these in my shop for three months, they should maybe be ok to paint. Also, we plan to use cushions.
    You need to expose them to direct sunlight to UV kill the surface for lack of a better way to put it.