Thread: Any Hi-Point owners?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Any Hi-Point owners?

In another thread I inquired about a FEG pistol I ran across thinking it might make a good "truck gun" beings all steel, 14+1 and @ $375.00 not terribly expensive. Anyway, will browsing Gander Mountains website I noticed Hi-Point pistols running under $200. I've got literally ammo cans full of 9x19 ball as well as .40 S&W reloads with 180gr XTP. I got the reloads in a trade deal with one of my coworkers, (experienced reloaded) but wasn't planning on running them through my G35 since I've got two S&W 10mm revolvers.

Was thinking a .40 S&W Hi-Point might be the ticket. Plenty of ammo, it seems like a pretty heavy duty piece though low capacity and the price is about what a smoker would spend on cigarettes in a month. Maybe I wouldn't use it for a "truck gun" but it might be fun to do a torture test with it. I'd clean it well when I brought it home but after that just shoot it and see how long it will run with little or no maintenance. Maybe run a bore snake through it after a range trip and a little lube on the rails but other wise just wipe it off and toss it back in the range bag until next time. I'd keep a running tally of the rounds fired, number and type and maybe keep one box set aside to check the accuracy every 250rds or so.

I've never even fired one let alone owned one but from what I've read I'd almost bet I end up cleaning it out of pure pity long before it would ever crap out due to any accumulation of gunk. Thoughts?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

snobby douchebags will roll their eyes cause its "ugly" and "cheap" .

i have yet to have any form of hi-point fail on me ,no matter what kind of ammo/bullet type.

and if at any time in the guns life it stops working they'll fix or replace it for free.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    snobby douchebags will roll their eyes cause its "ugly" and "cheap" .

i have yet to have any form of hi-point fail on me ,no matter what kind of ammo/bullet type.

and if at any time in the guns life it stops working they'll fix or replace it for free.
    I've heard their warranty is about the best there is and most of the issues I've seen posted have been few and mostly involved mags and or the after market hi-cap mags. IIRC the ProMag offering. There is a new mag for the 9mm model that works pretty well. I think it's called a Red Ball mag?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Guns Network Contributor 01/2013 rgmcl's Avatar

I bought a C-9 plus two extra mags a few years ago just for ha ha's, turned out it became one of my favorite pistols.
    Took the pistol, mags and two hundred rounds of my reloads to the range and literally burned the paint off the barrel.
    I had two stove pipes with the second mag, tweeked the feedlips a bit which fix that problem. Other than that it ran like a champ.
    I probably put close to 1000 rounds through that thing before I sold it for what I had in it when we had the big gun scare from obama.
    Other than being heavy enough to be used as a boat anchor I can't complain about it's fit and function.
    What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" do you not understand?

Other than the caliber is there anything about the 9mm and the .40 S&W that you know as far as any issues?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

theyre ugly and cheap.

ok, im far from a snob, and imo cheap isint a bad thing (as far as price goes, not talking about construction) but they sure is fuck are ugly, and heavy. i have smith and glock pistols that, fuly loaded with 18 rnds of 9mm, are lighter than the hi point 9mm empty. i have ones in 9, 40, and 45. i hate them with a passion. sooo bad. only reason i have them is a friend had died and his family needed money and was selling all of his guns, so i bought them all, which, unfortunately, included these 3 turds.

you will never clean it, maybe once, but when you find out what a cock pain it is and that you have to use a punch to drive out roll pins to take it down, after that a bore snake will be all it will ever get. ive often taken the 9mm on short nature walks, just shooting "targets of opportunity" (there are a few roads around here that inhuman pieces of shit use as garbage dumps, rife with bottles, tv's and other "reactive targets") and have emptied the 7(?? iirc) rnd magazine 1/4 mile from the truck, and SERIOUSLY considered just tossing it out, as it was borderline worth carrying back to the truck, with the con being carrying an empty useless 20lb hunk of shit for 1/4 mile, with the only pro being having a shitty hi point.

really , im far from a snob, ive shot jennings 22's, bryco 380's, even one of the tec 22's that couldnt fire 2 shots in a row without jamming. but the only gun(s) ive ever truly hated are those hi-points.

I have done a sort torture test with a Hi Point 995, i.e., shot it for over 10 years with the only cleaning being a bore snake through the barrel from time to time and an occasional spray down with WD40. I mentioned in another thread that I was thinking about disassembly of this gun, but more for curiosity than a need to do so. The gun is still 100 percent reliable with all ammo. I know you are talking about a handgun and not a carbine but the Hi Point carbines and handguns are more or less the same design. Obviously ergonomics would be different.

I don't have issues tossing my 995 in my truck. They make a great truck gun. As an aside, I have to say that the opposite end of the spectrum for me is my Beretta Silver Pigeon. I almost feel like I should have gloves on when this gun comes out of the safe.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Never owned one, handled plenty of them. Gun dealers call them a Brick with a Trigger. Very descriptive about what they look and feel like. Baggy panted gold chain wearing backwards hat types love them.

A guy threw in the 9mm pistol as a sweetener on a deal we did. I never shot it, but did turn it right around for $150. I got a 995 in that same deal and though it is a bit strange looking, it is actually a sweet shooter.

Some additional info I've gleaned:

There is a 20rd mag manufactured by Redball Sports for the 9x19 model that seems to work very well. It's quite long and ugly which isn't a bad thing since it would match the pistol in that regard. Priced at just under $25 it's about $5 more than a factory 10rd. On the Hi-Point forum it was posted that they were producing a similar mag in .40 S&W that should be available this month. No mention of one in 45 ACP

Speaking of the 45 ACP version. I read were there is a conversion part that for about $30 will convert your Hi-Point to use standard 1911 magazines. Now this is appealing as extra Hi-Point mags run about $20 and I have a bunch of 7, 8 and 10rd 1911 mags already.

I'm presuming at this point that the Redball mags and the mag conversion will work on both the pistols and the carbines.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    I have a little bit of experience

If I was going to buy one for a defensive piece I'd go with the .45, you can get much better 9's and .40's for not much more money, but you can't find a .45 for anywhere close. Due to the unlocked blowback action the 9mm is actually more uncomfortable to shoot (hence the rubber grips I have on them) You can also easily convert 1911 mags to work in a hi-point

It is also possible to convert a .40 hi-point to 10mm by reaming out the chamber (same mag, you just take out a spacer in the front)

It is also possible to convert a .40 hi-point to 10mm by reaming out the chamber (same mag, you just take out a spacer in the front)

and they can take full power loads too.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Was wanting a 9mm but ran across a LNIB 45JHP that I might be able to pick up today if I play my cards right for right at $100 + tax so maybe $105 OTD. I can't tell that it's every been shot and it comes with the original box, extra rear peep site, lock, etc. I really don't need it but dang, for $100 I almost don't care if I need it or not.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

You can't beat a reliable, dependable gun for a hundred bucks.

if i could find a used 40 for that price i'd convert it to 10mm.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Update:

Ok, I didn't get it. Here's the deal. It was on Gunbroker from a local pawn shop. It has no reserve and a starting bid of $99.85. No one bid on it so I watched it until the last second but talked myself out of it as there were two S&W model 12-3's locally that I wanted to check out as well as a cheap Arcus Hi-Power clone. The auction ended with no bids so I figured if I change my mind I'll stop by the pawn shop and make them an offer.

As far as the other guns the one 12-3, Like new, 4" SB was gone when I hit the shop Saturday. The other 12-3, 2" RB almost no finish left and the Arcus I couldn't get to as that shop was closed this weekend and isn't open during the week so maybe this weekend on those two.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068