Thread: Question (mostly) for our law enforcement members

Question (mostly) for our law enforcement members

This is aimed mostly at our law enforcement members but everyone is welcome to respond. I found some evidence of drug use on my property when doing yard work. I live on a corner lot with a long fence line in a quiet neighborhood off of a little bit busier street. I often find trash, fast food garbage mostly, cigarette butts etc on the side of my house. Today I was taking advantage of a break in the weather to pull some weeds when I found 2 things; a small pipe (actually a spring wrapped in foil) which looked like a makeshift Crack pipe to me and a spoon with residue in it and soot on the bottom. I think I'm getting some traffic off of the busier street, people looking for a quiet place. I have small children and there are a lot of other small children in the neighborhood. I don't want this kind of shit where I live. Is there anything I can do as a deterrent? I was wondering if fake cameras and a smile your on camera sign would work?

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    This is aimed mostly at our law enforcement members but everyone is welcome to respond. I found some evidence of drug use on my property when doing yard work. I live on a corner lot with a long fence line in a quiet neighborhood off of a little bit busier street. I often find trash, fast food garbage mostly, cigarette butts etc on the side of my house. Today I was taking advantage of a break in the weather to pull some weeds when I found 2 things; a small pipe (actually a spring wrapped in foil) which looked like a makeshift Crack pipe to me and a spoon with residue in it and soot on the bottom. I think I'm getting some traffic off of the busier street, people looking for a quiet place. I have small children and there are a lot of other small children in the neighborhood. I don't want this kind of shit where I live. Is there anything I can do as a deterrent? I was wondering if fake cameras and a smile your on camera sign would work?
    Welcome to the heroin epidemic. What you found is called a foily and is used to smoke heroin. The spring thing is new to me, but i suspect it's being used as a support frame for the foil. The soot is likely heroin residue. The spoon is used as a boiler to melt down the heroin into liquid or semi-liquid form so it can be poured into the foil.

It sounds like some of the neighbors may be getting into heroin use and just as you said, looking for a quiet place to do their thing.

The camera thing may work. Confronting them also if they are impacting your property. Heroin addicts tend to not be that confrontational. Also let your neighbors know what you found, that way you'll have more eyes looking out for suspicious activity. Don't hesitate to call LE when you see them. If nothing else you might get lucky and they'll get pinched for possession.
    Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Tell the police and your neighbors, add lighting as much as you can for night time.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

they used to steal peoples CFL bulbs from their front porches and use them to smoke, then everybody found out theres mercury in them.

Some of them got lit up in the process as well.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Never dealt with heroin addicts, but if they're looking for a safe, quiet spot (that may be why they chose your street), then make it appear to not be safe.

Get some red food coloring and create a pool of "blood" on the sidewalk, with a few drops splattered in a line moving away from the "pool." Give this time to dry, throw a few cigarette butts around, and then scatter a few empty 9mm cases around the "pool" and some shoe scuff marks around them.

Maybe they'll look for a "quieter" corner, next time.....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Call your local PD and give them a head's up as to what you're finding. This is part CYA (documenting that the drug paraphernalia on your property is not yours) and part intel for them to work on. Screw fake cameras; toss up a real one if you can afford it. A surveillance camera will help you determine the exact time this is happening and may even reveal the identity of the junkie(s). As already mentioned, good exterior lighting will help some but it's not a guarantee if the side of your house or yard is obstructed by shrubs or fencing. Lock up everything. Junkies are big-time opportunistic thieves who will steal anything for money to buy their next hit of dope.
    Last edited by skorpion; 12-27-2016 at 08:05 PM.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Get a big dog or find a few big piles of dog shit to put out for them to see.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Get a big dog or find a few big piles of dog shit to put out for them to see.
    Chief, I'm serious this is my home where I put my kids to sleep at night. Those of you in Le might laugh because you see this everyday but I don't do drugs and don't hang out with those who do.

Should I file a report over a spoon?

If it's random people who are driving down the main road and see a quiet neighborhood and think hey I won't be bothered here is there anything to do.

I can't help but think some druggie could get nervous and throw his shit into my yard and my dogs or kids could find it or he could come back later looking for it, I'd confront at gunpoint if home.

Chief, I'm serious this is my home where I put my kids to sleep at night. Those of you in Le might laugh because you see this everyday but I don't do drugs and don't hang out with those who do.

If it's random people who are driving down the main road and see a quiet neighborhood and think hey I won't be bothered here is there anything to do.

I can't help but think some druggie could get nervous and throw his shit into my yard and my dogs or kids could find it or he could come back later looking for it, I'd confront at gunpoint if home.
    Answer to your first question. 1) just finding ONE INSTANCE of drug paraphernalia on your property is NOT a big enough deal to call the cops. You can, but I once found a crack pipe (with no crack in it) on my property and I think someone just threw it over the fence from the sidewalk. Just get rid of it. Look around carefully and see if there are dime bags or other evidence of actual drugs. If you find any OTHER evidence of non-residents using your property to either discard or use drugs, then it's becoming a pattern and then start taking measure. Cops today only want people to drag them out for more serious crimes where they can be pro active and either look for someone / something or stop a greater crime from happening. You DO report things like petty thefts and vandalism because the cities usually track the incidents of these lesser crimes. But finding drug paraphernalia is NOT itself indicative of a crime about to happen or escalate.

DO enhance your property security. Add motion sensor lights and wi fi cameras.

I was being 100% serious. I don't know what type of area you live in but trespassers and dopers will likely look for a different spot if they think you have a big dog. As to calling the local cop shop, it wouldn't hurt but probably won't get you much satisfaction. They may put out a patrol alert to the beat cars. You might see a few extra passes by your house for a week or two. Are they slinging on your corner? Do you have hookers around? Find any used condoms? Time to move?

edit-any used syringes in the area? Have a talk with your kids about blood born pathogens and drug paraphernalia.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

my cousin was chopping silage and nearly ran a math lab into the chopper head. they had hidden out in the corn field. all of the advice given above is the best you can do. report it to law enforcement and your insurance agent. take a picture on your cell phone.