Thread: Time sure does slip away!

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up Time sure does slip away!

Was just sitting here thinking about the year ending and remembered December 1999 was when I originally became a Gunsnet member. Sure doesn't seem like 17 years have passed. Lots of friends made and far too many lost. Every year it seems like another member passes away.

I remember the C&R postal matches and the WV shoots. The board wars the trolls but also the AK builds and the posts members made from Iraq and Afghanistan. The excitement over a new batch of RC Mausers on AIM's website and the Ufix'ems and tons of Turk 8mm from Century.

Thanks to you all for the memories and Happy New Year!
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I've been a member since 97 or 99, basically since it was created.
    I have seen a lot of cool stuff but never had the $$ to buy it.

I am still a member of Assaultweb and now a member of Uzitalk and silencerforum. Used to be a member of AR15.com until it got completely unbearable. Used to be a cool place now its all airsoft and couch elites..
    Used to be part of TFL until I was kicked off for posting a pic of a target that people didn't liker and no it wasn't racist.

Its been a fun ride with this new internet thing.

BISHOP

Yeah and I remember people saying ban him. Yep ban me...
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

This place is my default place to go on my web browser. When i open the browser i instinctively start typing www.g...

The memories of you guys talking about bump firing your AK's. Always wanted an AK because of this group.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Speaking of bump fire. I recall at one of the WV shoots either Schuetzenman or Gr8scott was bump firing a .308 of some type, maybe an H&K clone but what ever it was the difference in bump firing a .308 versus 7.62x39 is HUGE! Now that I think about it I think Schuetzenman was able to bump fire my BAR for at least a half if not a full mag.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Speaking of bump fire. I recall at one of the WV shoots either Schuetzenman or Gr8scott was bump firing a .308 of some type, maybe an H&K clone but what ever it was the difference in bump firing a .308 versus 7.62x39 is HUGE! Now that I think about it I think Schuetzenman was able to bump fire my BAR for at least a half if not a full mag.
    Yeah, I was bumpfiring a CETME. Somewhere there is a digital pic of me doing it that shows about 4 or 5 shell casings in the air. Bigger calibers are easier to bump than small ones. I also have bumpfired the M1 Garand. Lasts about 2 or 3 seconds and ping!

To your opening post topic, yeah it has been a long time, many ups and downs along the way. From a C&R and really all firearms point of view 2005 started the decline of cheap guns and cheap affordable ammo. That's the year the $80 buck / 1000 round case of 7.62x39 went away. Ah for the days of 15 cent a round Portuguese 7.62 NATO.

I too miss the good old days. I've been around a long time. I keep hoping we can return to our former glory but without all of the builds and c&r posts I doubt it will happen. Oh well as I see it now we are a small tight knit community

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Time does seem to slip away. It seems like yesterday that my neighbor who owned a firearm/jewelry store in a local mall offered me an M16 (real one) for $250 plus the blackmail fee. I was a newly wed and we just didn't have the money for that legal per Justice Roberts tax. Hind sight is wonderful.

Later all the Chinese AKs that I laughed at in the 1980s, and then when Bush1 had his evil looking, I only joined NRA for the votes fit, I jumped into them with both feet, and a nice push from my wife who enjoyed long guns and trap shoots off our back porch.

Been a member here for just under 15 years, helped Guns Network Staff build a for sale site that unfortunately never got off the ground, watched this site grow to over ten thousand members, watched as the site was stolen and rebuilt, while unfortunately losing some good members in both the down time, and the unstopping hand of The Lord.

Made some great friends here, lost a few to life isn't forever, but am fortunate to have the family here that remains. We have a great but small group. Still with an amazing knowledge base that unfortunately isn't used.

Regardless, I raise my glass to the new year, hoping for health to all and a firearm vault that is over stuffed to the point of needing another.

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

I want to say I've been her sense late 90's perhaps 99.......I've survived the crashes and still miss the older guys.....just lost several thousand posts in the process......lol
    Dan
    Last edited by Dan Morris; 12-31-2016 at 07:19 PM.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Yea, another here who joined in Dec, 1999, iirc. Member 430 something.
    Site was owned by Ian, and would runout of bandwidth every month before the end of the month.
    First member lost was Briancav when he took his own life.
    Lots of fun during the early board wars.

Lots of good people here at one time. Now we are old, wore out and scattered.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

I kinda feel old but in no way do I feel "worn out and scattered". It is hard to loose all
    of our collective soul and survive but we did.

Hell you guys remember early in 2007 I came to the board and we had a heart to heart about
    me shooting myself? Well tonight is the 10th anni. My point is THE only place I had to turn to was here.
    I took a lot of grief and received a great amount of support from the members.
    I will never forget that, it meant more than I think you can understand.

Yeah the data base was ......---------_________ever but it was the members that kept
    me sane during that time.

So hell let's lean to the next 365 and find out what happens.

This place is my home.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

I have settled on 2 homes. Here and Assaultweb. Both places have good people, and sometime I make the same post the post on both forums.
    Both have the same "feeling" of the same people and same the level of personality, faith and humor.

BISHOP

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    I kinda feel old but in no way do I feel "worn out and scattered". It is hard to loose all
    of our collective soul and survive but we did.

Hell you guys remember early in 2007 I came to the board and we had a heart to heart about
    me shooting myself? Well tonight is the 10th anni. My point is THE only place I had to turn to was here.
    I took a lot of grief and received a great amount of support from the members.
    I will never forget that, it meant more than I think you can understand.

Yeah the data base was ......---------_________ever but it was the members that kept
    me sane
    during that time.

So hell let's lean to the next 365 and find out what happens.

This place is my home.
    Damn, you're still sane? Guess we'll have to work a little harder on that this year.

Glad you're still around, but never admit you're sane, no matter how much you might be tempted....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Many, many great memories here. I forget when I started posting. I was still a firearms newb. I was wanting to purchase an AK. Did a web search and found this place. Now many guns and memories later. Still hanging around.