Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel Bearing Grease (Hi temp) On AK

Wheel Bearing Grease (Hi temp) On AK

Gun grease seems stupid expensive for the amount
    http://shop.brownells.com/gun-cleani...iiiRoCYbPw_wcB

What about Red Hi Temp Wheel Bearing grease on AK?

I've used high-temp water proof bearing grease on M1 garands, it should be fine on an AK but I also like the teflon grease if you need to use a grease.

I didn't think the AK was that sensitive to lubrication, I've always used CLP or rem oil, etc.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

For my shotguns hinge I use regular grease in the paper tube. just wipe it off and replace every time I take the gun out. For everything else I use remoil. Comes in a big aerosol can for $8 has all kinds of additives and Teflon or something. works great.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

I've used wheel bearing grease for years on my SKS, BAR and AKs. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/c...bearing+grease
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 01-02-2017 at 05:27 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I use white lithium grease.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I've used high-temp water proof bearing grease on M1 garands, it should be fine on an AK but I also like the teflon grease if you need to use a grease.

I didn't think the AK was that sensitive to lubrication, I've always used CLP or rem oil, etc.
    I thought Teflon grease (DuPont Krytox) would be the nuts as a gun lube. Problem is, no solvents cut it, so it's impossible to clean off dirty teflon grease. Best you can do is wipe it away with a cloth.

As far as gun lube, I use LP (not CLP) for oil and moly-disulfide grease where grease is needed.

I got a few "caulk gun" sized tubes of mil-spec moly-disulfide grease that was being thrown away because it's date was expired. Still seems to work just fine though... and I have enough for 10 lifetimes.

Oh and i use graphite powder to lube mags. Kinda dirty, but it works great.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    I thought Teflon grease (DuPont Krytox) would be the nuts as a gun lube. Problem is, no solvents cut it, so it's impossible to clean off dirty teflon grease. Best you can do is wipe it away with a cloth.

As far as gun lube, I use LP (not CLP) for oil and moly-disulfide grease where grease is needed.

I got a few "caulk gun" sized tubes of mil-spec moly-disulfide grease that was being thrown away because it's date was expired. Still seems to work just fine though... and I have enough for 10 lifetimes.

Oh and i use graphite powder to lube mags. Kinda dirty, but it works great.

Have you tried tetra? It seems to clean up pretty easy, actually seems like you can get your gun filthy and all the crud just wipes off with the grease.

I guess I have kind of a gun oil fetish. I've tried a bunch of them, I have been using G96 and M-Pro-7 lately. Honestly, I don't notice much difference. The tetra does seem to stay where you put it which can be nice. The only one I would caution against is 3-in-1. It dries and turns to varnish.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

I use lithium grease on my aks. I tried it on my ars but it got too dirty and gummy.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Standard anti-seize lube from the auto parts store works great. Its basically the same stuff that Glock puts on their handguns at the factory (theirs is gold color, anti-seize is silver).
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

I use this stuff on a lot of my guns including my AK.

#202 MOLY-LITH is a high temperature, lithium 12-hydroxystearate soap grease containing micro-fine molybdenum disulfide (MoS2). #202 MOLY-LITH has a dropping point of 390 Degree F (199 Degree C), is water resistant and displays excellent work stability under high loads, high speeds, shock and vibration. #202 MOLY-LITH has exceptional resistance to the effects of heat, water, weathering, oxidation and heavy loads. It contains rust, corrosion and oxidation inhibitors. #202 MOLY-LITH gives unbeatable protection anywhere that dirt, dust, high humidity, rain and adverse temperatures are critical problems. #202 MOLY-LITH is recommended for automotive and industrial applications, including all grease fittings where semi-solid or plastic consistency grease is normally used. Also for use in grease cups, pre-sealed bearings and for general chassis lubrication.

I originally got it to use on my motorcycles but now use it on about anything metal that needs lubed. Won't evaporate like oils and won't dry out and turn waxy like a lot of greases.

Works great on guns and easy to clean up.

Nice and smooth too not thick and gloppy like a lot of greases. Kinda like soft warm butter instead of Vaseline.
    Last edited by weevil; 01-06-2017 at 03:13 PM.
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

You don't really need grease on a Kalashnikov variant unless it's going into long-term storage. Regular gun oil works just fine in my experience.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Standard anti-seize lube from the auto parts store works great. Its basically the same stuff that Glock puts on their handguns at the factory (theirs is gold color, anti-seize is silver).
    Is there any difference between the silver, gold and copper colors of never-seize, or is it just marketing?

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Have you tried tetra?
    No, never have. Is that stuff pure teflon grease or regular grease "filled" with teflon particles?

The stuff I tried was DuPont Krytox which is pure teflon and costs around $50 an ounce. It worked great, and the trigger and action never felt smoother (on an AKM), but when it gets dirty, it turns from white to black and is impossible to wash off with solvent. It can only be wiped away, and stuff stuck in corners and crannies will be there forever.....

Great stuff, but dirty can't be cleaned out.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    You don't really need grease on a Kalashnikov variant unless it's going into long-term storage. Regular gun oil works just fine in my experience.
    Where the bolt carrier slides over the hammer during the reload cycle definitely needs decent lube, and oil usually doesn't stay put there. I use moly disulfide grease for the bolt carrier/hammer rub point, the trigger (sear)/hammer point, the bolt carrier rails and the bolt locking lugs. Everything else gets oil.

Same on the other firearms. Moly grease where the bolt carrier or slide rubs over the hammer, the hammer/sear point, the slide rails and (AR-15) the bolt locking lugs.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post

Yeah it'll function fine without lube, but the metal-on-metal contact is going to cause a lot more wear than if there's a layer of lube for the parts to ride on. And regular gun oil tends to be crap that runs off or evaporates especially if the gun gets good and hot. Now some synthetic motor oils like Mobil 1 aren't bad but a good grease is better at staying put especially if you're really gonna wring out the gun. With most off the shelf gun oils you'll quickly be running without any lube.

Other than a few 1911s I've never seen a gun that won't function without lube, and even the 1911s don't usually act up until they get hot. I've seen guys in competitions stop to oil their pistols, something I've never had to do with a good grease.

And a gun without lube will quickly shown signs of wear or even galling, even if it does function fine.

Now wear isn't necessarily bad as worn and loose parts aren't as likely to bind up, like say a really tight fresh 1911, but I'm not a big fan of loose sloppy guns that sound like a baby rattle. Tends to really knock the piss out of your accuracy the more wear you get.

So yeah lube isn't really critical on an AK, they're not exactly a target rifle anyway, but I like to keep my equipment as fresh as possible. Besides a little lube won't hurt it and a good lube like a moly grease that gets down into every pore and valley of the metal and sticks there will go a long way in preventing corrosion as well as wear, much better than oils that run off or evaporate over time.
    Last edited by weevil; 01-06-2017 at 09:04 PM.
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Based on what a chemist told me about how Teflon works, I have been using Slick 50 One Grease which has a high Teflon content. I usually slather it on the rails and all contact surfaces of any AK variant I intend to shoot, and try to let it sit for about a week (no real reason other than it sounds right) for the Teflon to settle into the metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    No, never have. Is that stuff pure teflon grease or regular grease "filled" with teflon particles?

The stuff I tried was DuPont Krytox which is pure teflon and costs around $50 an ounce. It worked great, and the trigger and action never felt smoother (on an AKM), but when it gets dirty, it turns from white to black and is impossible to wash off with solvent. It can only be wiped away, and stuff stuck in corners and crannies will be there forever.....

Great stuff, but dirty can't be cleaned out.
    I'm almost certain it is teflon in a carrier as you have to knead the tube if it has been sitting for a while. It wasn't terribly expensive. I like it on pistols too because it doesn't run down the frame when it gets warm and cause your grip to get slippery. It says where you put it, even in ar's on the carrier rails and then just wipes off along with all of the dirt.

Well I guess if a guy didn't use up all of those damn extra 100 dollar bills cluttering up his wallet whiping his ass this morning you could always get rid of a few of them on this 8 Oz tube of grease.
    http://store.tmcindustries.com/produ...FYiVfgodFcoN7A

Must be made from centaur sperm mixed with unicorn tears

Quote Originally Posted by sevlex View Post
    I use lithium grease on my aks. I tried it on my ars but it got too dirty and gummy.
    I think the reason it gets to gummy is because of the tighter tolerances.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Guns Network Contributor 03/2015 jakebrake's Avatar

I use mobilgrease xhp2122

granted, mobil is an inferior product, but, it was free. still have a damn near full cartridge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast