Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ft Lauderdale Airport shooting 1/6/17

Although he was transporting the unloaded gun legally, and followed all the rules, including the ammo in its original box, he just loaded up as was mentioned before. Baggage pickup is a non-secure area. He came out and started taking head shots. Fired 13 times to lock, put the gun down & proned himself on the floor as the cops came in and arrested him without further incident.

Anyway, this may mean at best, carrying ammo may be banned. At worst, the airlines could ban the transportation of firearms as well.

This was on all our local news stations all day, live chopper reports too. One guy got saved from a bullet in the back, but his laptop, in a backpack did not survive.
    Last edited by number6; 01-07-2017 at 02:36 AM.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

As it turns out, am old school chum of mine was there. He and his wife are ok, but they are seperated from their baggage, and Southwest can't tell them how or when they can get it. There are also issues with getting home.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Okay. That answers my question. I've never read the rules, but figured, from allthe problems I've read about, that firearms were pretty much forbidden on planes.

I have an idea, they'll try and further limit that rule now.

Does anyone know which state the CCW was issued from? I heard he was from NJ and I'm not sure you can get a CCW there.
    They are forbidden on / inside the plane. Checked baggage means it went in the cargo hold out of the perps reach. He got his bag off the luggage carousel, goes to the mens room takes out the gun and loads it.

My question is where's security at that airport?

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    They are forbidden on / inside the plane. Checked baggage means it went in the cargo hold out of the perps reach. He got his bag off the luggage carousel, goes to the mens room takes out the gun and loads it.

My question is where's security at that airport?
    Far enough away that he can unload 3 magazines before the police show up. Another gun free zone where we are told to rely on the police for protection shown to be very unsecure.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Far enough away that he can unload 3 magazines before the police show up. Another gun free zone where we are told to rely on the police for protection shown to be very unsecure.
    You know as well as i Do that they don't care about your safety. The gun free zone causes more casualties that then then blame on gun ownership furthering their agenda. They want the numbers high to make it more shocking and get a batter chance at passing new legislation.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

I'm already seeing people calling for a ban on airline transportation of firearms. I for one prefer having the ability to take my pistol with me when I fly to Miami International airport during my vacations. (Homestead is horrible!) Not to even mention the millions of hunters that transport their rifles on airlines. I doubt a ban will happen under a Trump Administration, but we need to be vigilant and active in opposing any further restrictions though, just in case.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    I'm already seeing people calling for a ban on airline transportation of firearms. I for one prefer having the ability to take my pistol with me when I fly to Miami International airport during my vacations. (Homestead is horrible!) Not to even mention the millions of hunters that transport their rifles on airlines. I doubt a ban will happen under a Trump Administration, but we need to be vigilant and active in opposing any further restrictions though, just in case.
    I'll be so glad when they make it a crime to kill other people. I think if they passed a law like that, it would stop things like this from happening.
    Last edited by alismith; 01-07-2017 at 10:58 PM.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I'll be so glad when they make it a crime to kill other people. I think of they passed a law like that, it would stop things like this from happening.
    Well there is that new Form 4473
    That should finally put an end to it
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    This is one of those simple cases, and they are talking about trials that will probably cost a zillion dollars or so. How about this, it is obvious he more than "allegedly" killed the people. There are a few thousand witnesses plus he admitted it, so take him out behind the court house, or don't even waste the gasoline, take him out behind the jail and either let a couple of bubbas beat the heck out of him until and after he stops breathing, or just one bullet to the back of the head and send the FBI the bill for the bullet because they had the chance and didn't stop him.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    This is one of those simple cases, and they are talking about trials that will probably cost a zillion dollars or so. How about this, it is obvious he more than "allegedly" killed the people. There are a few thousand witnesses plus he admitted it, so take him out behind the court house, or don't even waste the gasoline, take him out behind the jail and either let a couple of bubbas beat the heck out of him until and after he stops breathing, or just one bullet to the back of the head and send the FBI the bill for the bullet because they had the chance and didn't stop him.
    Since the FBI became political, their job performance has deteriorated.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Actually, he doesn't really look that much Hispanic to me. My first guess, with just a photo to go on, would be Middle Eastern descent.

Freedom isn't free.

that would do a lot of good because in an unsecured part of the airport you could have just walked in off the street with a gun stuffed in the back of your pants and done the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    that would do a lot of good because in an unsecured part of the airport you could have just walked in off the street with a gun stuffed in the back of your pants and done the same thing.
    I'm actually surprised a terrorist didn't do this yet. The amount of people standing in the security line would be a great target for a bomb or gun attack. I hope and pray it never happens, but sadly I feel it's just a matter of time before a terrorist figures this out.

When you enter a Court House in most parts of the U.S.A. you go through a metal detector?

Quote Originally Posted by shorthair View Post
    When you enter a Court House in most parts of the U.S.A. you go through a metal detector?
    Yeah, but there's a lot more people at an airport standing in line, and there's also the added effect of getting more media attention for a airport attack, as opposed to a courtroom. Plus, the massive disruption of incoming/outgoing flights would cause more chaos and disruption for the economy.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I'm actually surprised a terrorist didn't do this yet. The amount of people standing in the security line would be a great target for a bomb or gun attack. I hope and pray it never happens, but sadly I feel it's just a matter of time before a terrorist figures this out.
    It has been done and within the last 2 years, just not here in the States. But everything that is tried successfully overseas sooner or later makes its way here and we all scratch our heads and wonder why we didn't plan for that. If we were to plan a response I expect it will be like most of the responses, disarm everyone so that only the gunman/murderer has a weapon and can hit more targets unopposed.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    It has been done and within the last 2 years, just not here in the States. But everything that is tried successfully overseas sooner or later makes its way here and we all scratch our heads and wonder why we didn't plan for that. If we were to plan a response I expect it will be like most of the responses, disarm everyone so that only the gunman/murderer has a weapon and can hit more targets unopposed.
    Our approach currently seems to be to immediately react by tightening up security. You carry this on long enough and you will have zero freedom left as per Benjamin Franklin.

If we continue to immediately ask the question, 'what can we do to prevent this from occurring again?', we are doomed.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

The baggage claim area is outside the secured area. In other words, it's got as much security as the checkout line at the mall (some cops are probably nearby, give or take a few minutes response time).

This guy could have driven to the baggage claim area at the Anchorage airport and done the same thing without ever getting on a plane.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Our approach currently seems to be to immediately react by tightening up security. You carry this on long enough and you will have zero freedom left as per Benjamin Franklin.

If we continue to immediately ask the question, 'what can we do to prevent this from occurring again?', we are doomed.

And then there's the muslim security guards at the hospital and airport to consider. Here I'm talking about Indianapolis. I'm sure we can trust them. Seriously, how messed up is that? Hiring armed muslims to guard a hospital and an airport. You couldn't make this stuff up if you wanted to.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast