Thread: 9.3x57 Mauser

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

9.3x57 Mauser

Brass for this calibre is crazy. $68 for 20 empty cases. FFFFF that. So i have a ton of 30-06 brass. So with a bit or work. first i cut to length with a hack saw. then annealed, then slowly sized a little bit at a time while rotating the case in the press a quarter turn between each stroke. Then of course trimming to exact length with a mill file and double checking with my callipers. I have 5 made so far. Took me about an hour and a half. Worth every minute though. 200 prvi bullets are on order. I cant wait to get this girl rolling.

Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

ever consider a power trimmer?
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Another possibility is a trim die. It's harder than a hacksaw or file.

Well. i am getting quite good at it. A power trimmer would be nice but for the volume i will be making its not worth investing in. I have been making 5 per day... I have sped up the process by initially cutting closer to the correct overall length taking into account the stretch after reshaping.. I am also not spending enough time to get sick of doing it. I figure once i have 50 brass finished i will have enough to last me. I wont be shooting this rifle a lot. It will be sighted in for a specific load and used for hunting. My father and I will hopefully be going after black bear this fall because the spot we use to deer hunt in (where our big stand is set up) has become over run with bears and they have driven the deer out of that spot. I will be working up a good load for the 286 grain Prvi soft point bullets I ordered. Hopefully bear hunting turns out to be a thing I get into. My father has been googling recipes for doing bear in his smokers. I have high hopes for this endeavour.

in addition to that. I popped into my LGS for a can of 3031 powder tonight and brought two of these shell casings i made to show the owner and get his opinion. After looking at them a while he offered me a shot from a 375 H&H he has in the shop. I have been humbled. I thought I was getting a real game hammer. I have been shown. His is bigger.

On the way home I was thinking how long it would take me to pay off that Browning Safari i fired if i put it on lay away.

This is a sickness.
    Last edited by rci2950; 01-08-2017 at 10:53 PM.

Oh man I don't know if it's smoke a bear. They are full of trichinosis. I'd cook the hell out of that fucker

A power trimmer would be nice but for the volume i will be making its not worth investing in.

if you already have a case trimmer, just buy the adapter.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    if you already have a case trimmer, just buy the adapter.
    I may actually invest in one. Was looking at what Cabelas has to offer and they aren't as expensive as i thought.

Anyway,

20 finished and ready for a trip through the tumbler.