Thread: Anyone have any trouble driving in this weather?

Anyone have any trouble driving in this weather?

I just spun out 2 full 360 degree turns on the entrance to an expressway this afternoon. The problem was also that the road was on an decline, going under an overpass. To keep from spinning into oncoming traffic, I tried to control the spin and go off the road onto the grassy shoulder. That was fun But I was okay, and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the car. I drove home after that.

A fucking construction truck accidentally dropped a about 30 lbs of soft dirt on the expressway, RIGHT at the turn, during a heavy rain and that created a slick pool of mud that ALL the cars were struggling with.

Anyone else have 'adventures' driving in this current weather? I figure SOMEONE out there has to have some epic ICE road driving done.

I can barely see driving to work when it's raining like this and the wind blows my truck all over the road but other than that I'm fine. I'm sorry to hear about your underwear glad you are other wise ok

It's what you get for driving a 188# prius. J/K I am glad you are ok.
    I have had 3 totaled P/U's since 93. 1 was weather and a guy hit me,
    1 was a guy turned in front of me and I hit him
    and the 3rd a guy ran a light. You just have to expect it all.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

With 12-14 inches of snowfall, I've stayed off the roads. Had nowhere I had to go anyway. Today, when everything started melting, I went out to a nearby city to take wife to a doctor's appt. The back roads were a little icy, but, after almost a full day of shopping, they were pretty much clear on the way back.

Anyone who was crazy enough to go out when it was still below freezing, was taking a major chance. Temps. were well above freezing all day and everything is starting to melt now.

Glad to hear you're okay and you didn't mess up your car, either.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Is nuts here right now, raining buckets and windy as hell

The St. Louis area hasn't had any appreciable snowfall - YET.
    That being said, yesterday had wind gusts in excess of 50 mph. Starting tomorrow, the forecast is calling for rain, freezing rain, ice pellets, maybe some snow, travel advisories through Saturday night with the high on Monday forecast to be 55 !!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

No problem here east of Atlanta GA. I think we are going to be almost 60 degrees today.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

I'm pretty decent in the snow. Ice gets to me a bit. But, we shut down friday before I even left the house.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Been driving in Chicago area blizzards, ice storms, sleet, hail, white-outs & heavy rain since 1981. I used to do a lot of traveling via car for work, upwards of 25,000 miles a year or more, too. Never lost control of any of my vehicles during that time or been involved in a fender-bender of any kind. I drive under the assumption that everyone around me is either drunk, high, or insane & act accordingly.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    I just spun out 2 full 360 degree turns on the entrance to an expressway this afternoon. The problem was also that the road was on an decline, going under an overpass. To keep from spinning into oncoming traffic, I tried to control the spin and go off the road onto the grassy shoulder. That was fun But I was okay, and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the car. I drove home after that.

A fucking construction truck accidentally dropped a about 30 lbs of soft dirt on the expressway, RIGHT at the turn, during a heavy rain and that created a slick pool of mud that ALL the cars were struggling with.

Anyone else have 'adventures' driving in this current weather? I figure SOMEONE out there has to have some epic ICE road driving done.
    I live in Western NY... where summer is the weekend in August when the rain doesn't freeze.

As a result, we're all experts at driving in the shit. Spinouts? Slip-n-slide? Nah, only for rookie drivers and outta-towners.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Noop. We do just fine.
    Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey

Oregon, no, Portland had a few inches of snow then ice. Then 4-12 inches last week, still here, I drove up a hill to see a house, started to do a 3 point uturn and realized i was sliding down the street broadside. Got lucky wheeling back and forth missing everything. 4wd does little or no good on ice. Snow is no problem, but then again, I was raised in snow country and on dirt roads. knowing how to control a slide was driving 101 at 15 yrs of age. Ice storm coming tomorrow, watch this!!!!