Thread: Florida lawmakers introduce bill that would ban on assault-style weapons

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Florida lawmakers introduce bill that would ban on assault-style weapons

http://weartv.com/news/local/florida...-style-weapons

Three freshman lawmakers in Florida have introduced a bill to ban semi-automatic assault-style weapons in the state and expand the list of attachments which would be illegal.
    The list would include detachable magazines or suppressors.
    House Bill 167 also includes a long list of specific models that would be banned, including all AK and AR-model weapons.
    The lawmakers concede the chance of passage is near zero, but they felt it was a proper response to the massacre at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando last year.
    The lawmakers who introduced House Bill 167 said they have one goal in mind.
    "These are small but important steps that, if passed, will move Florida to a place where our families can live, play and work, and yes, travel to an airport safely and without fear of being gunned down or someone bearing arms lurking around the corner," said Democratic State Senator Gary Farmer of Broward County.
    Sharon Clinkbeard came with her husband to watch the old Crestview courthouse tear down. On her Toyota pickup's bumper, a pro-gun sticker.
    "I'm for it, I don't think people should be buying assault guns," Clinkbeard said of the bill.
    She said she believes in the right to have some types of semi-automatic guns, like pistols, which the bill would ban, but weighs the freedom to own an assault-style rifle like AR-15s and AK-47s against the safety of her 11 grandchildren.
    "Because they walk to school, some of them do, and I want them to feel safe out there. I don't want people riding up and down the streets with assault rifles in their cars," Clinkbeard said.
    At Jay's Guns in Crestview, military-style rifles with rails to add gun sights, lasers and other tactical and optical equipment line the walls.
    "Well, I know it would make me a wealthy man quickly, because everybody would come in and try to buy them all," said the store's owner, Jay Woodbury, "The evidence of that is when President Obama was talking about a bunch of anti-gun legislation, gun sales spiked to the highest they have ever been."
    He has seen threats to his business come and go.
    "The guys who make the bans don't know what they are banning, so the verbiage they use. They just find work-arounds and just make guns a different way so people can still have what they want," Woodbury said.
    The gun business is just as adaptable as the rifles they make.
    State Senator Doug Broxson said he would vote against any and all sorts of measures to ban assault-style weapons, regardless of the situation.
    Florida's state legislature convenes on March 7th.
    Until the first day of the session, members of the house and the Senate will work in committee meetings.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Someone needs to introduce a bill that bans the banning of firearms. Oh, wait... The 2nd Amendment already does that but anti-freedom folks don't care.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    http://weartv.com/news/local/florida...-style-weapons

Three freshman lawmakers in Florida have introduced a bill to ban semi-automatic assault-style weapons in the state and expand the list of attachments which would be illegal.
    The list would include detachable magazines or suppressors.
    House Bill 167 also includes a long list of specific models that would be banned, including all AK and AR-model weapons.
    The lawmakers concede the chance of passage is near zero, but they felt it was a proper response to the massacre at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando last year.
    The lawmakers who introduced House Bill 167 said they have one goal in mind.
    "These are small but important steps that, if passed, will move Florida to a place where our families can live, play and work, and yes, travel to an airport safely and without fear of being gunned down or someone bearing arms lurking around the corner," said Democratic State Senator Gary Farmer of Broward County.
    Sharon Clinkbeard came with her husband to watch the old Crestview courthouse tear down. On her Toyota pickup's bumper, a pro-gun sticker.
    "I'm for it, I don't think people should be buying assault guns," Clinkbeard said of the bill.
    She said she believes in the right to have some types of semi-automatic guns, like pistols, which the bill would ban, but weighs the freedom to own an assault-style rifle like AR-15s and AK-47s against the safety of her 11 grandchildren.
    "Because they walk to school, some of them do, and I want them to feel safe out there. I don't want people riding up and down the streets with assault rifles in their cars," Clinkbeard said.
    At Jay's Guns in Crestview, military-style rifles with rails to add gun sights, lasers and other tactical and optical equipment line the walls.
    "Well, I know it would make me a wealthy man quickly, because everybody would come in and try to buy them all," said the store's owner, Jay Woodbury, "The evidence of that is when President Obama was talking about a bunch of anti-gun legislation, gun sales spiked to the highest they have ever been."
    He has seen threats to his business come and go.
    "The guys who make the bans don't know what they are banning, so the verbiage they use. They just find work-arounds and just make guns a different way so people can still have what they want," Woodbury said.
    The gun business is just as adaptable as the rifles they make.
    State Senator Doug Broxson said he would vote against any and all sorts of measures to ban assault-style weapons, regardless of the situation.
    Florida's state legislature convenes on March 7th.
    Until the first day of the session, members of the house and the Senate will work in committee meetings.
    It would be a far better "proper response" to ban muslims than semi-auto firearms. That, alone, would make Florida far safer than it is right now.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Its past time for a national bill to prohibit states from passing unconstitutional gun laws and include ccw reciprocity as well. Far past.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Stupid asshats! I am amazed by the thinking of some people. Why do they believe banning anything would work amongst the criminal element? It won't. Never has, never will. Just because you make something illegal doesn't mean that criminals are just gonna up and say "Oh, well now my gun is not legal to own anymore. Better get rid of it. While I am at it, better make sure all of my CRIMINAL FRIENDS GET RID OF THEIRS AS WELL!" I don't know why they would be yelling that last part, but they might.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Don't ban guns, ban Muslims that misuse guns.

Well the Georgia assembly opened the 9th we have one coming, they always do.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    It would be a far better "proper response" to ban muslims than semi-auto firearms. That, alone, would make Florida far safer than it is right now.
    Proper response would have been for the homosexuals to fight. They out numbered that person more than 100-1 they ran they died.

be the heat..

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Proper response would have been for the homosexuals to fight. They out numbered that person more than 100-1 they ran they died.
    As do most people. We are not trained to fight, we are trained from infancy that fighting in all cases is bad. If any fighting needs to be done it should be done by the police (and then when the police fight it is called excessive force). The proper response is to fight, but vast majority of people no matter what their sexual orientation would be to run. Look at the recent Ft Lauderdale shooting. No one rushed the shooter they ran or hid (the first two actions recommended by the government).
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    If the Florida brain dead lawmakers would just take a tip from the war on drugs, that making drugs illegal solved the problem, just make murder illegal and like making drugs illegal, there would be no need to ban firearms as there would be no more murders.

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    As do most people. We are not trained to fight, we are trained from infancy that fighting in all cases is bad. If any fighting needs to be done it should be done by the police (and then when the police fight it is called excessive force). The proper response is to fight, but vast majority of people no matter what their sexual orientation would be to run. Look at the recent Ft Lauderdale shooting. No one rushed the shooter they ran or hid (the first two actions recommended by the government).
    Yeah and if I would have gone into that bar screaming that you faggots are going to die from aids the pitchers would
    have beat me down. They ran they died.

be the heat..